mtbr member

Gore Fusion jacket leaking

Going by a cold and wet feeling during today’s ride it seems like my Gore Fusion GT AS waterproof jacket is no longer waterproof. I didn't get soaked but ended up noticeably wet where the most rain/spray was hitting me. It was freezing outside so there's no chance of it being sweat and experimenting with jacket under a tap confirmed the problem.

1 - Is this normal and/or acceptable for a jacket this expensive, only a month old and which hasn't received any harsh treatment?

2 - Doing some research it seems a waterproofer to restore the DWR should fix it but how long would the treatment last before it needs doing again? Every other jacket I've had has remained waterproof and simply never required this despite years of abuse.

ride all day
    Sep 2011
    If its sweat its totally normal if you are working hard. However if the jacket is not waterproof anymore, just contact customer service and tell them. I'm sure they will help you as all Gore Bike Wear products have a lifetime warranty against waterproofing.

mtbr member
    Same problem now affecting my Gore Fusion waterproof pants. Only a month old, very expensive and now with the fabric of the lower legs saturated from yesterdays ride with my lower legs ending up wet. Tested and confirmed under the bathroom tap.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EGF168 View Post
    Every other jacket I've had has remained waterproof and simply never required this despite years of abuse.
    Were your other jackets Gore-Tex? Every G-T product I've had recommends ScotchGarding it. Once the outer nylon layer becomes saturated, the breathability and waterproofness deteriorate. Try washing, drying on low, and treating the jacket and pants. I hope that works, because I have the same stuff. I haven't tested it in a downpour yet, but I love how well the Gore-Tex Active breathes.

mtbr member
    Some of them were Gore-Tex, though not the same Active Shell variety. The people I've spoken to in local shops have said it (the leaking) just shouldn't happen and to return them. I'm not keen on the idea of repeatedly re-proofing on a timespan similar to how long the original DWR has lasted even if that’s the done-thing and that fixes the problem. I want to be sure there isn't something wrong with the fabric or a better one out there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The outer shell of the jacket is not gore-tex...that would be the liner between the outer and inner shells. The DWR coating on the outside is an entirely different beast--often fluorocarbon or other polymers, it can (and will) break down over time. I can easily envision it sitting on a shelf or in a box long before you got it, and that makes a difference. A bottle of proofing spray costs a pittance, in terms of what you paid for the jacket.

Gore-tex is no longer 'the' "waterproof-breathable" fabric. While it is true that it is technically the 'most' waterproof, waterproofing occurs at 10,000 mm/hg, gore products are able to repel water at twice that pressure. Realistically? Not necessary, and all you get for it is more damp from sweat. Currently, Polartech's Neoshell fabric holds the standard for best breathability.

Whew...now with that all out of the way, here's the skinny on waterproof breathable: it doesn't work...at least not in the way you'd expect. Breathability is measured statically, in a lab. The odds of you creating the same conditions in the field? Almost impossible. You will get wet from sweat, unless you are all but puttering along. The only effective way of getting something to breathe well enough for cycling is to use actual venting, mesh or otherwise.

In closing, and for what it's worth, re-applying DWR is not only the norm, but expected. Pressure from the outer layer of the garment being soaked is enough to keep the membrane from doing it's job, and you will get wet. The DWR is in place to prevent that outer layer from being soaked.