mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Good value on light, stiff shoes?

I'm looking for new shoes for the first time in ten years. The last time I bought shoes in about 2003, I got a great deal on Shimano SH-M050 shoes. They have three velcro bands, no buckle, and aggressive tread with toe studs (removable). They have a reasonable amount of mesh, so they work pretty well as three-season shoes in New England, four with booties.

I don't need the lightest, stiffest shoe, but I am not interested in an entry-level shoe. I am thinking that a buckled design (one buckle, two velcro straps) might be good. I would also like fairly stiff shoes. I ride mostly technical ST and need to dismount occasionally, when I do so, I don't want to fall on my @ss.

I see a million shoes out there and am overwhelmed with my choices. Who makes a solid high-end, bu not stupid expensive, good-fitting shoe that won't require me to take a 2nd mortgage on my house?

mtbr member
    I'd suggest the Bontrager RXL MTB shoes. they're well made and have a removable carbon sole for stiffness. One buckle and 2 velcro straps. I tried on a lot of higher end shoes at a local shop and they had the best fit and were around $150 if I remember right. Good tread with removable studs. They have a basic look also which I liked. Most of the shoes the guy at bike shop brought out looked way too flashy for my taste. I'm not into chrome or white mtn biking shoes for trail riding. For me they fit much better compared to the more expensive Sidi and Shimano shoes i tried on.

Also for around $120 or less you may want to check out the Serfas Astro mtn bike shoe. 1 Buckle and 2 velcro straps. Slightly more flex in sole compared to the Bontragers but still pretty stiff, with similar tread and removable studs.
    Last edited by DBLDEE20; 03-05-2012 at 09:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks for the tip on the RXL shoes. The review forum shows that some people have observed marginal durability. How have they been for you?

mtbr member
    they've been fine. I don't really care if they get scuffed up, after all they are mtb shoes. I've had mine for about a year and have had no issues with durability. I think you'd really have to abuse the shoes for them to fall apart and don't see how they would just from wearing them to mtn bike. The buckle strap is replaceable.

EDR
    If you HAB in rocky terrain I personally would avoid the buckles. That's my experience anyhow.

LightJunction.com
    I love Mavic's stuff. The Razor shoes are pretty reasonably priced, and if you can find them on sale, even better. Those have been the most comfortable pair of shoes I've worn, and they've got excellent support with enough flexibility for trail building days.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com