High Desert MTBer

Good shoe for AZ chunk

I am always in the hunt for a good shoe for riding flats that will tick the following boxes:

1 Very grippy rubber sole.
    2 Good toe and heel protection.
    3 Stiffening panels that run at least past my little toes on either side.
    4 Lightweight.

I have had a couple of pairs of 5 Tens, but they only last me about 9 months here. I would not mind that too much, but I cannot find some that have mesh uppers and side protection that extends far enough back. Has anyone had experience with Stealth rubber on 5 Tens, and knows of another brand with grippiness to match so I can check their line out?
    It's all Here. Now.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Are you running Impacts or some other 5.10? My Impacts typically last 14-15 months here in AZ. Not sure you'll find anything better that clicks off all your boxes. I have a pair of Teva Links in size 10 I'll sell you cheap if you want to try them.

High Desert MTBer
    Last pair of 5.10s I had were Savants which worked fairly well in terms of weight, sole and breathability, but did not have suitable protection. They lasted about 8 months. The pair before that were not Impacts if I remember right, and they only lasted about 6 months. I have been trying some Merrells with a Vibram sole, but the grip just isn't the same. Since I posted the original here tho, I found some Insights at REI for less than half price, and even tho they may be a little heavy, the price is too good... I will post what I think when they get here.
    Looking at the Impacts, they do seem to be durable, but how is the weight? I also have a 'thing' about black shoes. If they did 'em in another color...
    It's all Here. Now.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    What you're asking about doesn't exist to my knowledge, especially given the "long-lasting," "protective" and "light" parts. None of those go together.

As far as 5.10s go, you won't find a grippier sole. The Tevas are much lighter and vented, but don't have the protection and are not as grippy. For what you've outlined, you really need to try the Impacts. They tick all your boxes other than "light." I have a pair in a desert sand color (including soles) though not sure if they're still available. You could try the Sam Hill model that has some white on it.

If it's a heat thing, I can't tell the difference between my tans ones and the black ones. The tans have been going for more than 2 years now and still no issues.

High Desert MTBer
    I am tending to agree on that! I feel a bit like I did before leaving on a solo motorbike trip in 2004 when I was looking for a smart phone to take with me, but before they existed! I knew what I wanted, but it was not out there quite yet... I could only find the Impacts in Black, I guess the sand color is discontinued, but in any case I will have the Insights tomorrow... we shall see how they stack up!
    It's all Here. Now.