mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Good mid-weight soft knee pad?

Looking for a good pair of mid-weight-as in more protection than the G-Forms but not a bulky DH pad.
    I've narrowed the search down to either the Fox Launch Pro,661 EVO or Rage and the Kali Aazis.
    Your opinions of these are appreciated.I ride single track in Pa.with roots and rocks and my knees aren't getting any younger.Thanks

unrooted
    I have these and I love them: Leatt 3DF Elbow and Knee Guard ‹ Grand Traverse Mountain Bike Association

I ride xc-trail rides with a little bit of jumping (table tops). I put these on in the rocky stuff and any time I think I may crash. I ride a hardtail and I can pedal with these pads without irritation.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I have tried them all and then some, Race Face Ambush are the most comfortable for me by far.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    +1 on the RF Ambush - really comfortable and like the ability to put them on without taking off your shoes

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks for the suggestions.Of the three I have mentioned,which will be the least bulky?The Fox get good reviews but they look a little bulky in some of the on-line pics compared to the 661's

unrooted
    Nobody likes the 3 you have on your list.

The only ones I would consider are the Kalis, but Leatt are cheaper and less stupid looking.

mtbr member
    Love the Rage, when I'm riding I can't even tell I'm wearing them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Kali was the only ones of those three that weren't down right terrible. Do yourself a favore and consider the race face pads. Comfy and pretty slim fitting.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    My Kali knee pads are super comfy!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    OK,so I'm going to give the Leatt's a go. It seems the Kali are pretty much the same as the 661 KS pads which I already own.I want something a little less bulky and a bit cooler for warmer weather.As for the RF,I feel more comfy with a knee pad that pulls on over the knee rather than the straps.
    Apparently unrooted is right about the other 3 on my list !

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Have you looked at the POC 2.0's? Awesome pads. Soft. Pop in the washer when they get dirty/stinky, air dry. Saved my knees several times.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ptsube2002 View Post
    Have you looked at the POC 2.0's? Awesome pads. Soft. Pop in the washer when they get dirty/stinky, air dry. Saved my knees several times.
    Just got a pair, last night was my 2nd ride with them. They are comfy, fit very well and and nice and flexable. I noticed them at first but and the end of the night last night I didnt even know they were there.
    13 Banshee Rune, Pushed Fox 36Float RC2, I9 Blunt35's

T1 barcode, pitchfork's, Hazard light's and profile's

mtbr member
    I like the Fox Launch Pros.
    I ride a lot of DH/Park as well as pedal with them.
    Comfort + fit are different to everyone, but the Launch's are the most comfortable knee pads I have had that I know can actually protect me in a crash.
    I like the combo of padding + hard shell.
    I've never had them rotate on me whether sliding across hard pack, tumbling, or going knee first in to the dirt.
    I like the side padding for protection from the frame/bike when you're banging against it during a crash.
    It's a comfy pad that I trust in the rocks.
    I've had Evos and Gforms as well as a few other lighter more comfort focused pads. They may be comfy, but they may not do a lot for you when you crash hard.
    Several pads have similar design as Launch's and will offer similar protection-661, Kali, Race Face etc.
    Lots of padding all around and then a hard cup over the knee is good if you'll be in the rocks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    +1 for the poc vpd 2.0
    i wear the knees and the shins(not the combo) for everything from epic xc type rides that still might have some aggressive singletrack, to full on lift access downhill riding.
    a year and several crashes later they still look great and have done their job really well.
    they are super comfortable to pedal in and i do not even notice i am wearing them.
    the only time i dont wear them are for long drawn out climbs, 6-10+ miles of just climbing, i will put them on for the ride down though. and for mellow xc rides.

i will be sticking with these pads in the future.
    Juice

mtbr member
    I believe the 661 EVO is NOT much more protection than the gforms.
    They do not have real protection structure in them.
    I like the TLD's and the POC's and the smaller Fox pads.