mtbr member
    Jun 2011

good lycra shorts for under normals

Im trying my first race next week and I am torn between lycra and baggies. I think I will like racing and may get more involved and I know baggies can get hung up on the saddle. I think I have decided to get lycra and just wear normal shorts over it for regular riding.

Is there a good middle of the range short that would be recomended. The local stores carry fox, pearl izumi and sigoi or somthing like that.

I figuer dollar for dollar i can get a better pair of lycra compared to a full short with liner.

Thanks
    Last edited by machine4321; 04-22-2012 at 10:30 AM.

Goats Rule!
    Sep 2007
    I wear the Descente Prologue bibs with Stealth and Stealth HDI pads under baggies. They fit me well in Medium at 6' 180lbs. I save the nicer stuff for wearing w/o baggies on longer rides.

It's all about what fits you best, with the pad being the most important part of the package. I like the Prologue bib considerably more than the Catselli Free Aero, and it's a big price difference. Check out Chainlove.com and RealCyclist.com. Also, Sierra Trading Post, but make sure you search for discount codes before buying. You can find good deals at all 3.

I'm not a fan of the PI shorts because they just don't fit me well. If you're looking at local stores, try the shorts on. Don't make the mistake of getting them with room in the crotch though - they have to be snug, some will say tight. XC racing = lycra, but it's not mandatory.

For a mid-range short, I really like the Castelli Velocissimo Due (Kiss3 pad) and the podium collection bibs (AC pad).

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks. I tried a new bib that was given to me but it was an xl. It fit my legs but the rest was all to big. Im 6' 175. So I figure medium as well. I will try some on to make sure as my thighs and butt take up a bit of space.

So the pad should always fit close the body? The bib I have,there is space between untill I push the pad where it should be.

Goats Rule!
    Sep 2007
    Yep, the pad should always be close to the body. With bibs, the strap length is also important as it is one of the things that helps keep the pad snug up against you. Too short a strap and your neck/shoulders will be uncomfortable and the pad too tight. If you go with shorts instead of bibs, strap length isn't an issue.

Keep in mind different manufacturers size things different, and when you're looking at tiny Italian stuff like Castelli, you normally need to size up one size, sometimes two. Some models are tighter in the legs than others too. At my height and weight, even if I go down to 175lbs, here's what fits me (I own and use or have used all, so it's from experience).

Castelli:
    -Velocissimo Due (and 2011 Veolcissimo) bib, Large. I can squeeze into a medium.
    -Free Aero Bib, XL. While the legs on the Large are more compressive and I liked that more, the pad is way to tight on the Large for me.
    -Podium collection bibs from Real Cyclist, Large is a perfect fit.
    -I have one set of bib knickers, can't remember model. size Large.

Descente:
    Prologue bib and shorts: medium. Below 175lbs I'd consider a small

PI - never liked the fit on me but I'm a medium in their low/mid range stuff.

Bontrager RXL bib: Medium, I wish there was a size between small and medium for the legs, the pad is perfectly snug on a medium.

Giordana Tenax short: Medium. A large is ok but the pad is a bit looser than I'd like. The large works on the trainer though.

Performance Bike Ultra II bibs - medium.

Canari - gave it all away. Their Medium is more like an XL.

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Helps alot. Thanks again