Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Costco.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    I have tried some of the wool blend base layers. Nowhere near as effective as 100% merino or as comfortable.

I completely agree. With 100% Merino Wool you really do get what you pay for. For most good quality 100% merino wool it is around $100. But I found a hunting company called Kuiu that sells exclusively online at wholesale prices. Their's is $80 dollars and it has worked so well for me. Really top of the line product, and at a good price. You should check them out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    +1 costco. its a merino layer base layer top by paragonoutdoors.com
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO
    2012 TREK SUPERFLY AL ELITE

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by bapski View Post
    +1 costco. its a merino layer base layer top by paragonoutdoors.com
    My mom bought one of those Costco "merino" shirts. They are polyester with 15 or 20% wool. Not enough wool to matter.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    My mom bought one of those Costco "merino" shirts. They are polyester with 15 or 20% wool. Not enough wool to matter.
    good enough for me. havent had to use arm warmers
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Costco near me sells 1/4 zip merino tops for $24.99. Kirkland Signature brand, 100% extra fine merino wool. As nice as my Smartwool, might even be cut a tad longer. Nice stuff.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinxy View Post
    Costco near me sells 1/4 zip merino tops for $24.99. Kirkland Signature brand, 100% extra fine merino wool. As nice as my Smartwool, might even be cut a tad longer. Nice stuff.
    Double check the labels
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    These are very expensive but they're awesome. I don't think you will regret buying them. In fact I bet you will never want to wear any of your other gear because these are so nice.

The finest 100% merino base layers made for cycling | Rapha

Winter version.

100% merino roll neck base layer for winter cycling | Rapha

It's cheaper if you buy a bundle.

Base Layer 3 pack | Rapha

ready to ride
    I recently bought the stoic 200 baselayer from backcounty. I got it on sale, its still on sale but looks like it has gone up $10.

So far I have been happy with it. I have only ridden with it once and had to take it off not too far into the ride because it was so warm. I wore it with a t shirt yesterday while fishing. Did a great job, kept me plenty warm while standing in a high elevation stream on an overcast and damp day.
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Shiggy - I looked at the label as I typed it then - and again now. 100% extra fine merino wool. Made in China. Kirkland Signature label, $24.99 at Costco and nice. I've seen their blended stuff too - not for me. Gotta watch what you buy there.
    Last edited by Jinxy; 12-10-2012 at 02:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinxy View Post
    Shiggy - I looked at the label as I typed it then - and again now. 100% extra fine merino wool. Made in Canada. Kirkland Signature label, $24.99 at Costco and nice. I've seen their blended stuff too - not for me. Gotta watch what you buy there.
    i dont seem to remember seeing a KIRKLAND branded merino wool there.. i did see the one from paradox outdoors ill check costco again and see if i can find the KIRKLAND brand.

its paradoxoutdoors.com...and yup shiggy is right its 84% polyester, 11% merino wool, 5% spandex. . . thought its good enough though since i did not have to use my arm warmers as what i mentioned earlier.
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO

mtbr member
    Cosco had some tops and bottoms for 20 and 25 each. I liked them for 45 bucks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    One of my 2 Stoic jerseys already has a hole in it and it's not even from getting poked. By far the thinnest merino shirt I
    own.
    agmtb

ready to ride
    Quote Originally Posted by abegold View Post
    One of my 2 Stoic jerseys already has a hole in it and it's not even from getting poked. By far the thinnest merino shirt I
    own.
    I agree they are pretty thin, though they are really a base layer and not a jersey. Curious which did you get the 150 or 200. The 200 is tshirt thin, so not too bad IMO. All in all been happy with mine so far.
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mattnmtns View Post
    I agree they are pretty thin, though they are really a base layer and not a jersey. Curious which did you get the 150 or 200. The 200 is tshirt thin, so not too bad IMO. All in all been happy with mine so far.
    Think it's the merino bliss shirt. Doesn't even get worn much compaired to other merino shirts.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    These are very expensive but they're awesome. I don't think you will regret buying them. In fact I bet you will never want to wear any of your other gear because these are so nice.

The finest 100% merino base layers made for cycling | Rapha

Winter version.

100% merino roll neck base layer for winter cycling | Rapha

It's cheaper if you buy a bundle.

Base Layer 3 pack | Rapha
    these look nice but one thing they are missing is a front zipper to dump heat when climbing, then zip it back up for the downhill. Or do they have a top with that but i just missed it?

mtbr member
    The links I posted were for base layers. They make merino jerseys with zippers. They don't have any base layers with zippers.

mtbr member
    Subscribed loving Marino wool products
    this winter.
    2012 SC Tallboy LTc X9 Talas Build in '13
    Prior bikes: 2012 Camber Comp 29er, 2010 RIP9, 2005 D'ale Prophet/Jekyll

High Gravity Haze
    Quote Originally Posted by Abigailjpw View Post
    crock pot parts mp3 player cheap ..................senora proof reading courses
    Quote Originally Posted by enanciaws View Post
    [isabelmarantsneaker............... arrange form
    Reported.
    The best thing to with spam? Slice it up into thin pieces and throw on the griddle searing both sides. Then throw it away.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bapski View Post
    i dont seem to remember seeing a KIRKLAND branded merino wool there.. i did see the one from paradox outdoors ill check costco again and see if i can find the KIRKLAND brand.

its paradoxoutdoors.com...and yup shiggy is right its 84% polyester, 11% merino wool, 5% spandex. . . thought its good enough though since i did not have to use my arm warmers as what i mentioned earlier.
    I too have gone all merino and dumped my dri-fit/clima-dry/polyester jerseys and have found prices to be crazy expensive at most stores and online.
    I have bought some short sleeved off Jensons at ~40bucks each. Also have two long sleeved ones from Costco and the labels say 100% merino. They are branded "True North" and I think they were around $25 cdn.

I also got burned by buying what I thought was a 100% merino long sleeved from MEC (Canada's REI) and couldnt figure out why it started to get funky after wearing it when all my other merino jerseys can go multiple days with no smell. Sure enough, it is a poly-wool blend. My Costco jerseys have remained funk-free after multiple days of wearing so I believe the label is correct at 100% merino.

MEC does have other long sleeved 100% wool jerserys with a front zipper for around $65 cdn but that might be cost prohibitive if shipping into the US?
    Last edited by Gunnar-man; 02-17-2013 at 07:39 AM.

mtbr member
    The knit/weave and weight of a Merino garment makes a big difference too -whether you are looking for thin base or shirt, up to a thick jersey or sweater.

If I can get Ibex, Smartwool, Icebreaker, Swobo, and many, many others on sale -then I jump on them (the wool, not sheep). Every weave is different -so actually hold-up & look , feel that particular weight. Quality Merino cared for, biked w and thrashed, will still last an incredibly LONG, LONG, time.

As of latest: Ibis/Icebreaker -light to mid base, pocket&zip jerseys $40 -$60. You could probably find some quality light base, short&long sleeve for a wee bit less, Smartwools I see often on sale.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    My local Costco has 100% Merino tops again: Kirkland Signature, 1/4 zip, 100% extra fine merino, woolmark certified, $19.99. I wore 3 of these through last winter and they're great. They've survived half a dozen gentle washings with Ivory Snow - same way I treat my other woolies. Flat dry. Mine still fit fine and show little wear. Good stuff & great price! Don't confuse with their blended tops - these are 100% Merino wool.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I just picked up a couple of long sleeved 100% merino T shirts. Nice and light, sewn in Canada and only $20 CDN. If it gets cooler I can double up. If I rip one I won't cry like I would with a $60+ jersey.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Good deals on Merino Wool base layers?-img_7216.jpg  

I got some bad ideas in my head.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2