mtbr member

Good cold weather riding jacket?

I plan on riding all winter this year of possible. Looking for a good jacket that I can wear from 40's down to the 20's without issue. I rode last year a few times with my snowboard jacket on and it was warm but a bit to loose, long and baggy.
    13 Banshee Rune, Pushed Fox 36Float RC2, I9 Blunt35's

T1 barcode, pitchfork's, Hazard light's and profile's

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I like to dress in layers. A synthetic t-shirt, front zip wool sweater, and windbreaker work better for me than most expensive "technical" jackets. I do have a schoeller windstopper jacket that makes for a nice outer layer on colder days.

Pit zips and the ability to hike up the sleeves are nice features in whatever you choose.

mtbr member
    I like to layer up with fleece and no wind blocking outer layer. It helps get rid of the sweat instead of condensing it on the inside of your nylon outer layer. (In the teens and 20's the sweat freezes on the outside making a frosty layer.) In the coldest weather, I wear underarmour, tshirt/jersey, thin long sleeve fleece, thick fleece vest, and carry a light jacket and hat in case I get hurt.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Layers! I use polypro or thin wool against my skin. Additional layers are wool. Less bulk & keeps me warmer than fleece (even when wet). If really windy or cold I sometimes top with a windfront jersey. Thin beanie, neck gaitor, lobster gloves and Gore Insulated booties as needed. Last years coldest group ride was 14F and many were in the 20's - I was always warm enough when riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Listen to these guys. Great comments. Multiple thin layers are where it's at.

You should be a little bit cold when you start, so you warm up but not overheat and get wet. Extremities are where the gear is mostly needed; head/ears/hands, feet.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Yup, thin layers and if I need it a shell on top. Thin uncoated nylon or my current fav, a soft shell. My schoeller soft shell, is water resistant, breathes extremely well and stretches.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by 94krawler View Post
    I plan on riding all winter this year of possible. Looking for a good jacket that I can wear from 40's down to the 20's without issue. I rode last year a few times with my snowboard jacket on and it was warm but a bit to loose, long and baggy.
    You didn't mention what kind of climate or riding. I'll caveat my advice by saying I live in a fairly dry climate, and our rides tend to be sustained climbs followed by sustained downhills. I tend to strip down a bit on the climbs, but need to suit up again at the top. I'll go out in the damp, but not in a soaking downpour. I'll ride into the same temperature range you mention, and do a lot of XC skiing in temps much colder. My clothing choices are pretty much the same for both.

My recommendation for a jacket is a stretch-woven softshell, worn over a merino wool T-shirt or long-sleeved insulating layer, depending on temperature. I really feel the key is a stretch-woven softshell without a membrane liner. Despite all the "have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too" advertising and magazine reviews, membranes really cut down on air flow, even the newest generation. That's great if you're looking for shelter from wind (or water) but ranges from less important to detrimental when you're engaged in high-output activity. When you're working, softshells provide enough protection to tolerate spitting rain or wet snow. I think people tend to think they want to be dry, when what they actually want is to be comfortable. I'm currently riding in a Patagonia Alpine Guide jacket that I picked up on closeout. It's made with Polartech Powershield. That isn't my first choice of fabric, but it's not too bad, more breathable than Powershield Pro. That jacket is also bright orange, whereas my favorite softshell, the classic Cloudveil Serendipity, is elk-colored. Not a good idea this time of year.

Think about what features you'd want - a hood? How many or what kind of pockets? Can you get at them under your pack straps? Scottish and Canadian (Endura, RaceFace, Sombrio) bike clothing companies are worth looking at for nasty weather bike-specific jackets, but they're a step or two behind the curve in terms of technical outerwear design, IMO. Climbing and backcountry ski jackets are where the advances are made and fabrics are proven (or not), and they trickle out to other sports. But those jackets aren't designed with biking in mind, so some work better than others.

I have a couple merino T-shirts, and several different weights of long-sleeved merino tops. Good gloves and a thin beanie or helmet liner are also useful. Don't forget about good, thin wool socks, too.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Sugoi RSX NeoShell Men's Jacket | Competitive Cyclist

I think this is the most interesting jacket on the market right now (bike specific anyway).

mtbr member
    Ok guys sorry for the lack of info. I live in eastern PA and ride anything I can. Some places are sustained pedaling singletrack some are climb for the decent flow trail's. I was comfortable last year riding with a Ride snowboard jacket with the inner liner removed and a few layer's. Usually a jersey plus a long sleeve T-shirt or fleece if needed. It just isnt a ideal jacket for riding a bike.

I was looking at a Endura jacket, a One industry's Jacket and a Fox Jacket I think and the more I looked the more I saw others and theres not a ton of info on them. At least with snow sports stuff there was some info on how low of temp's they were advised for ect. Not having anywhere real local to check this stuff out sucks. Basic's are all I really need. Tuck away hood maybe, 2 pocket's big enough to stash my gloves in and thats about it. I always have my pack with and eveything else goes in there.

mtbr member
    Send Lou at Foxwear an email, you will be glad you did.

Lou just finished a jacket for me and I absolutely love it. Mine was made out of the same material as the one linked above, Neoshell.
    2014 Trek Fuel EX8
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 3
    http://tincup69.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    What does anybody know about the One Industries Atmosphere soft shell jacket or Royal Racing Hexlite Jacket?

Curious on opinions from people that have used them in regards to their ability I stop wind and/or rain and whether they keep you warm or not. I understand they are two different categories but I'm looking into both and having a hard time finding good reviews from users..

mtbr member
    FWIW I ended up with a Endura Convert2. Rode with it a few times and its not bad. Rode tonight in mid to low 30's and windy with nothing but a long sleeve base layer on and was fine. I rode with it 2 other times, once same temps with a fleece under it and was to hot and once a bit warmer with a base layer and had to vent it some by unzipping the arms a bit.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Get a jacket with a kick-butt liner that is removable. Jackets (esp. for cold weather) are at around $300. Get good gloves

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Agree Layers BUT

I sware by this shell in the 20s and 30s

Men's COUNTDOWN WINDSTOPPERŽ Soft Shell Hoody | GORE BIKE WEARŽ

Look around on web you can likely find a good deal.

It is a Gore Hoody when it is really cold I will wear a merino baselayer, long sleeve jersey (sometimes thermo sometimes not) and this. I like when Climbing I can unzip, and quickly zip back up for regualtion when I start to feel the chill. I also have a good Gore Bike Jacket without hood but I like this best.

Logs legs Pearl Izum Amfib bib do the trick.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

Epic rider

Re: Good cold weather riding jacket?

Mavic Inferno jacket
    12 Anthem X29
    07 Epic Marathon carbon
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Anniversary
    03 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    00 Rockhopper Pro

mtbr member
    I wear a gore fusion cosmo windstopper jacket (their fusion tool jacket is the warmest that they offer). Under that i wear 2 layers of reebok compression shirts. . The gore jacket is breathable, lets the sweat moisture out and stops the wind. It works very well and i love the set-up. If i need to cool down a bit all i have to do is open the front zipper or ths sidevents.
    On my legs i use REI's exclusive brand of novara thermal bike tights. These work well and can be found for under $75 when on sale. (gore's pants are $150+) Novara makes some great cycling jackets as well. I would check them out and keep your eye out for a sale. The sizes run a bit larger.

Gloves: Specialized thermal gloves, Hat: Outdoor research windstopper (fits under my helmet) Then i also use a neck gaiter made by marmot. All this stuff is fairly breathable so i dont typically have to shed layers.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Yeah... 15-40 degrees I go with a medium weight polartec patagonia layer, with a soft shell on top. It's cold right when I start out, but then nice after that. Colder than 15 degrees I just add another layer of polartec.

I always prefer to start a little cold so I don't have to bother with shedding layers later in the ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 94krawler View Post
    FWIW I ended up with a Endura Convert2. Rode with it a few times and its not bad. Rode tonight in mid to low 30's and windy with nothing but a long sleeve base layer on and was fine. I rode with it 2 other times, once same temps with a fleece under it and was to hot and once a bit warmer with a base layer and had to vent it some by unzipping the arms a bit.
    Glad I read this - I just bought the same Endura jacket and wasn't sure if it would be up to the job. Prepared to give it a proper try now.
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 5 29er
    2014 Trek X-Caliber 5
    2012 Trek Cronus Pro

mtbr member
    I've had the jacket awhile now and have rode in the teens a few times. Using layers for warmth and the jacket as my weather proof shell I've been fine. I use the arm zippers as pit vents to regulate temp's.

2 things I dislike with it. The snap's on the back pop easily if say you wear it to your ride. Its more a annoyance than anything. I just toss it on at the trail instead now, not a huge deal. I tore it pretty easily the 2nd trip out, not a huge tear but it still sucks. I went to the point of seeing if I have it repaired or could purchase just the arms since the tear is on the forearm and heard nothing back from Endura. I'm planning on repairing it myself now but I was surprised how easily it tore.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Bellwether cold front jacket when temps are below 25F. This jacket has a wicking breathing back and on the back sides of the arms. I wear one layer under the jacket down to the20-15s and below 15 two layers. Have used it down to single digits.
    Urmb
    Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley.
    Theodore Roethke