mtbr member
    Sep 2007

going clipless... which shoes?

im going back and forth here

cannondale 05 carves

or

time MXT

both are in my price range of 50 bucks +/- , ill be running time aliums for pedals.

bui
    Ain't afraid of no ghosts
    I'll start with the obvious question:

Have you tried them both on? See which one fits your foot best.

My buddy uses the Carves (or something that looks like them), and likes them.

IIRC, Cannondale shoes are usually rebranded Diadoras...I ride Diadora shoes on the road and on mountain, and like them both.

They look pretty similar in design, so I'm guessing it'll come down to how it feels on your foot.

(And for some people, how it matches the bike )

You ran this race with no real heart
    Yeah right back at the start
    You'd already lost it

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    unfortunatly the closed LBS that i will step into is over an hour away. im not even sure that my local shop has shoes in stock.

Resident Bigfoot Expert
    I use some uber expensive Nike's on my road bike but just recently picked up a cheap set of Fortes at Performance during a sale to try on the mountain bike. I think they listed for $90 and I got them for $45. So far so good. If you know your size, Performance has pretty good prices on these things.

In dog years, I'm dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by superspec
    unfortunatly the closed LBS that i will step into is over an hour away. im not even sure that my local shop has shoes in stock.
    Go ahead & take the drive to fit the shoes. Buying shoes over the net is like marrying a mail-order bride: the pictures & descriptions look good, but you might end up with something you can't live with. I buy a lot of things on the net, but the LBS gets all my shoe business.
    Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.... (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

Brant-C.
    i'm looking for new shoes also but am very leary about ordering on the net. i'd rather see the product in person and trying it.

i'm in the same boat you are...LBS is 1.5 hours away.
    I just like riding my mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I would really got to the store and try them on. I just bought a pair of shimano mtb shoes and although I wear a size 8.5 to 9, I had to go a size 10 to find a good fit. I guess you coud always send them back if they don't fit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i picked up the some adidas. i went to the LBS that i basically refused to do business with. the owner was there and he had a different attitude so i bought from him.

Fat guy on a bike
    I will highly recommend Specialized Sport MTB. They are straight forward, tough, and reasonably priced. Unless you're going to be a racer or a plain weight weenie, theres no need to get more(less) shoe.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I'd also recommend buying slightly bigger shoes. My first pair would get to tight after rides over an 1 hour due to feet swelling.

jalopy jockey
    Jun 2007
    The one that fits. And try them on after exercise. I looked for a while narrowed it down, and went into the store straight from the gym, a spinning class FWIW and I've never had an issue.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by GTScott
    I use some uber expensive Nike's on my road bike but just recently picked up a cheap set of Fortes at Performance during a sale to try on the mountain bike. I think they listed for $90 and I got them for $45. So far so good. If you know your size, Performance has pretty good prices on these things.
    Ok, I also own Fortes from Performance, nice shoe for the money, comfortable, clips nicely, I say GT is right, you do not have to spend a lot of money for a good shoe, unless you plan to enter the Tour try em, another plus, if you are not happy Performance will definitley back you up, good people to deal with.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    well i got my time aliums in yesterday and within 20 min i found out just how hard the ground was when falling over at a standstill. i like being clipless though. i felt as though i could really put some good power down instead of worrying about my feet coming off the pedals. i get to try out the adidas and times for the first real time sat morning on the trails!!!! CANT WAIT

Rod
    mtbr member
    Plan your stops when beginning to learn how to ride clipless. Also don't try a trail that's too hard for you. I'm glad you like your shoes though. The cleat should be under the ball of your foot. If it's not your foot can cramp, ect.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I made the mistake of ordering a pair of shoes online a few years ago without trying them on first. I still have them sitting in the box. What I did after that is looked at what I wanted online then went down to the LBS and tried on a pair made by the same manufacturer. I actually like Specialized shoes since I have a narrow foot and they will not hit your pocket book hard.
    There are some great posts on here on what to look for the only other thing I would recommend is to take a few minutes sitting in place clipping in and out of your cleats. then just cruse around doing the same to get it in your head to twist your foot to the side.
    The first ride my wife and I went on clipped in was a riot. She stopped on a bridge and I forgot that I was clipped in and stopped the realizing Oh yeah I am clipped in as I was falling over and hitting the ground I laughed so hard but had one heck of a monkey bump on my leg from the bike. Have fun

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I have been looking at making the online buying mistake to save a few bucks - have not pulledthe trigger yet.

I have been looking at some shoes on ebay and have a questions -
    Some of the shoes say that "insoles are not include" - what the heck does that mean? Is this the same as an insole in a regular athletic shoe? Are there different types of insoles for biking shoes and if so where do you buy them?

Thanks

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by rcwindell
    Is this the same as an insole in a regular athletic shoe?
    yes. you can stop by your local shoe store, or even wallmart to buy some insoles to throw in. in my shimanos, the insole was nothing more than simple foam.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member

Some things you just have to try on

I like buying online when I can, but some things just need to be tried on. And for the ability to do that, I am willing to pay more. Trying something on at the store and then ordering it online is just not something I want to do.

Shoes, helmets, shorts, and to a lesser extent, jerseys should really be tried on first.

I too went clipless this month...it's an adventure. The falls sure hurt, but the added power/efficiency is amazing. They are clearly going to be worth the learning curve.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The best way to learn clip less is to over learn. Go out in front of your house and ride figure 8's clip in and out on both sides again and again. Do this for 10-15 minutes once or twice a day. After two weeks you should feel comfortable clipping in and out. You need to practice getting out and in until it becomes second nature. Don't worry about falling once you hit the trail because sooner or later you will. If all that is stopping you from going clip less is fear of falling ask your self this.... Does my style of riding a mountain bike mean never falling down ? Good luck !

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    When I first started cycling I purchased a pair of shoes online without ever having tried a pair on. I ended up giving them to good will. After you have tried on a pair and you know your size and have a good idea what shoe is for a narrow foot or vise versa. You can then buy online. I actually buy specialized shoes myself they do not cost that much and have been working for me since 86.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    it depends on the return policy of where you are buying. If I can do instore pickup or free shipping back I just usually buy two shoes, two sizes each and wear what fits best. I return the rest. If you live far from a LBS, then online is the only way to go. Even if you have to pay shipping back; gas and time factoring make online purchases a lot more attractive. There are some really good deals to be had online as well, check sierratradingpost.com, and the great deals forums here. They always have percentage off sierra coupons.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    i ordered a pair of shoes and clipless combo and they are awsome i got them on pricepoint.com.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Diadora works well for me.

mtbr member

I like SIDI

To me shoes are like a saddle - it's a personal choice and everyone has their own favorite. I think that the two main things are stiffness and comfort. Several years ago, I was at the LBS looking for shoes on sale. The guy asked me if I had ever tried the SIDI shoes, and I said no. He fitted me a pair, and.....OMG. The Italians know how to make shoes.

I am not sure who makes the stiffest soles, or the longest lasting uppers, or the ones that are best to walk in off the bike. What I do know is that these are comfortable...really comfortable. And when I ride, it is never my feet that give out and bring an end to the ride. Try some shoes on. See what works for you.

Members who have read this thread: 0