mtbr member

Goggles MX or Snow?

Hey whats better for mountain biking MX or snow goggles? I got stuck out on a ride today in a snowstorm. Temps dropped and my glasses were useless. I have been thinking about goggles for cold night rides any way when my glasses just fog up and become useless normally.

mtbr member
    Snow goggles for sure, better fog protection

mtbr member
    What about mountain bike specific goggles? I found this looking around and they're not real expensive.

DESIGN PHILOSOPHY: fitting goggles for MTB | Ryders Eyewear

mtbr member

Re: Goggles MX or Snow?

Those look good too, anything with a double lens and good venting should work well in the cold

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 8iking VIIking View Post
    Those look good too, anything with a double lens and good venting should work well in the cold
    I wondered about that. But I thought that MX goggles would be vented better than snow goggles.

mtbr member

Re: Goggles MX or Snow?

They might be vented a little better, but I think the double lenses and coating on most snow goggles lenses contribute to fog prevention more so than the venting does

mtbr member
    Helo there,

I would say it will go down to the money, as for example, oakley snow lenses start at 40$ and you can get Smith Fuel V2 (with roll off system) for around 30$ shipped. If you double check, some versions of these have anti fog coating. However, physics is a *****, and on cold weather standard MX lenses will fog no matter what..

The difference is the design, quality snow lenses have dual lens system with a little bit of air trapped in between, to isolate low temperature outside from a little spa you create on the inner side of the lens when pedaling or snowboarding in my case (i sweat as a pig and oakley snow lenses fog on me as soon as I stop moving, but when I start moving they clear out fast)

Now, let me get back to the money issue, which is the biggest issue with snow lenses and use of snow goggles for mtb.. I can speak of oakley lenses as I only tested those, and those *****es are too damn easy to scratch.. I manage to scratch 2 lenses by simply carrying them around my neck while on the lift (to prevent fogging).. And there are more opportunities for that while riding your bike..

I'm sure I didn't helped much, but hopefully at least I pointed out cons and pros
    What we do in life, echoes in eternity...

Now older but less slow!
    I was about to post a similar question as I was looking for goggles to go with my Bell Super helmet for winter rides. It seems that ski goggles are the ones to look at but my issue is that I tend to winter ride at night so I want clear lens. Most ski goggles are tinted.

So is there a double lens option that is clear?

mtbr member
    That is a non-issue as most of the goggles I saw that have interchangable lense offer clear replacement lenses as well. Same as with mountain biking, manufacturers are aware that people love to spend time on snow in night conditions as well.

Good thing is that clear lenses are amongst least expensive.
    What we do in life, echoes in eternity...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNormsk View Post
    I was about to post a similar question as I was looking for goggles to go with my Bell Super helmet for winter rides. It seems that ski goggles are the ones to look at but my issue is that I tend to winter ride at night so I want clear lens. Most ski goggles are tinted.

So is there a double lens option that is clear?
    I'm ordering a pair of these there double lens and a bit cheaper then most of the ski goggles I have looked at. DESIGN PHILOSOPHY: fitting goggles for MTB | Ryders Eyewear

Now older but less slow!

Goggles MX or Snow?

I actually went ahead and ordered the Ryder's Shore goggles. I ordered the white with clear lens and also ordered the Polarized lens as an extra.

I had to order direct from Ryder as couldn't find any online stores with them in stock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    get goggles and a Scott Fan system...only a fan can keep up with the humidity of hard riding and frozen goggles

either an add-on fan, or Scott Heli OTG goggles.

micro fan systems beats plain vents all day long.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I bought a set of those Ryder's SHore goggles back in OCT. (found for $30 at walmart.com ) Used 'em once so far for a ride during snow. Worked well, kept me face warm. As long as I was moving moisture/fogging was not a problem.

Now older but less slow!

Goggles MX or Snow?

Quote Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
    I bought a set of those Ryder's SHore goggles back in OCT. (found for $30 at walmart.com ) Used 'em once so far for a ride during snow. Worked well, kept me face warm. As long as I was moving moisture/fogging was not a problem.
    That's what I like to hear! Last year I was riding in a snow storm being driven direct into my face. My regular glasses were useless and I was riding with my head tilted over and side-ways with one eye shut and the other eye peering over my nose trying not to get snow driven into it. I needed goggles that day.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    That's what I like to here! Last year I was riding in a snow storm being driven direct into my face. My regular glasses were useless and I was riding with my head tilted over and side-ways with one eye shut and the other eye peering over my nose trying not to get snow driven into it. I needed goggles that day.
    Yeah, I'd say just about any goggle would be an improvement over no goggles, or just glasses - but these goggles seemed to be a great mix MTB designed features and snow goggle characteristics.

mtbr member
    I just got my Ryders goggles from UPS. There really nice and fit perfectly with my Bell Super. I will report back after I get a chance to night ride with them.

Now older but less slow!
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser View Post
    I just got my Ryders goggles from UPS. There really nice and fit perfectly with my Bell Super. I will report back after I get a chance to night ride with them.
    How were your lens? I got mine yesterday direct from Ryder and I have micro scratches on my clear lens. They also distort my vision slightly. Fit is great but lens I am less than impressed with. I haven't reached out to Ryder yet on this though..

mtbr member
    How were your lens? I got mine yesterday direct from Ryder and I have micro scratches on my clear lens. They also distort my vision slightly. Fit is great but lens I am less than impressed with. I haven't reached out to Ryder yet on this though..
    There fine no scratches and my I don't think they distort at all.