Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Gloves you use that have done a good job of protecting your palm?

I could just google this, but I'd only get what manufacturers claim, but not true comments from those who have used them. What gloves do you use that are not bulky, but have good protection in the palm? Preferentially in the area around where the picture is circled. My hand is really starting to hurt in that area. My gloves have a small piece of padding and I don't want to buy some expensive gloves that don't help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gloves you use that have done a good job of protecting your palm?-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by uneek78 View Post
    I could just google this, but I'd only get what manufacturers claim, but not true comments from those who have used them. What gloves do you use that are not bulky, but have good protection in the palm? Preferentially in the area around where the picture is circled.
    I personally like the Fox Reflex Gel Glove. Their on sale at Price Point

Fox Reflex Gel Full Finger Glove 2011 at Price Point

gnewcomer aka OldMtnGoat

mtbr member
    Fox Dirtpaws is what I use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have used Giro Pivots, Blazes, Pearl Izumi Cyclones, as well as Master Mechanic and Custom Leatherwork gloves.

Of all of them, the Giros stood up best to nasty falls, but all gloves give up the goat when sliding on rock/pavement. I haven't bought an expensive glove since the first pair of Pivots, and haven't seen the need to. The cheapest glove with padding on the palm work well if that's what you need, but my experience with the Cyclones would definitely point me towards trying some full finger Pearl Izumis.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by gnewcomer View Post
    I personally like the Fox Reflex Gel Glove. Their on sale at Price Point

Fox Reflex Gel Full Finger Glove 2011 at Price Point

gnewcomer aka OldMtnGoat
    I notice the Fox gloves have pretty good ratings!

Quote Originally Posted by BoomerBrian View Post
    Fox Dirtpaws is what I use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Same as above. Fox seems to hold a pretty good rep.

Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    I have used Giro Pivots, Blazes, Pearl Izumi Cyclones, as well as Master Mechanic and Custom Leatherwork gloves.

Of all of them, the Giros stood up best to nasty falls, but all gloves give up the goat when sliding on rock/pavement. I haven't bought an expensive glove since the first pair of Pivots, and haven't seen the need to. The cheapest glove with padding on the palm work well if that's what you need, but my experience with the Cyclones would definitely point me towards trying some full finger Pearl Izumis.
    Still researching these. I have some Giros now that I bought from REI. They don't do well as far as palm protection, but I'll check out the ones you referred.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    To the OP, I had some problems with my hands when I first started riding again at 49, and tried several different types of gloves. The Fox Reflex Gel helped considerably, but this was only masking the real problem.

The real problem for me, was bike set up or fit. My first couple of bikes were from online retailers already spec'd out. It took me a while to get educated on "good bike fit". Now, even my old beater schwinn I road when I was considerably younger is quite a bit more comfortable to ride than it used to be.

gnewcomer aka OldMtnGoat

banned
    Aug 2012
    Go to a motorcycle shop and buy some real gloves
    Tour Master :: Gloves

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    To the OP, I had some problems with my hands when I first started riding again at 49, and tried several different types of gloves. The Fox Reflex Gel helped considerably, but this was only masking the real problem.

The real problem for me, was bike set up or fit. My first couple of bikes were from online retailers already spec'd out. It took me a while to get educated on "good bike fit". Now, even my old beater schwinn I road when I was considerably younger is quite a bit more comfortable to ride than it used to be.

gnewcomer aka OldMtnGoat
    Guess, I'll have to look into that. I've been riding since november. And I've increased my riding from initially riding 8-10 miles on the weekend to about 20 miles on the weekend. I initially had a 2013 Marin Pioneer Trail and just recently switched to a 2013 Cannondale Trail SL2 hardtail. What did you change beside gloves to help resolve the issue?

Quote Originally Posted by bikeabuser View Post
    Funny! Lol!!!

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    I could just google this, but I'd only get what manufacturers claim, but not true comments from those who have used them. What gloves do you use that are not bulky, but have good protection in the palm? Preferentially in the area around where the picture is circled. My hand is really starting to hurt in that area. My gloves have a small piece of padding and I don't want to buy some expensive gloves that don't help.
    Are you talking about protection in crashes, or relieving a pain you are getting from just riding?

If it is an issue of your palm getting sore from just riding, then different gloves might help, but I think you are more likely to get better results from playing with your cockpit setup and grips.

In term of protection in a crash, pretty much anything will do the trick for palm protection.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    Are you talking about protection in crashes, or relieving a pain you are getting from just riding?

If it is an issue of your palm getting sore from just riding, then different gloves might help, but I think you are more likely to get better results from playing with your cockpit setup and grips.

In term of protection in a crash, pretty much anything will do the trick for palm protection.
    Yeah, just palm protection. I will have to go to a bike shop. I am pretty new to riding and I love MTB riding and I am understanding the name of the parts on my bike. But I am not knowledgeable enough to start tweaking things on my bike. If I don't break something I'll probably not assemble it correctly and then I will have a crash. Lol! When my handle bar falls off or something. Lol!

banned
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeabuser View Post
    Funny! Lol!!!
    It might seem funny, but you'll find a better quality glove (comfort/protection/padding/materials) for the same or a few less dollars, than the typical bike shop glove.

They don't make my model, anymore ... But I've been using something like this for motorcycle and bike - Tour Master :: Gloves :: Airflow Glove $28.99 - for years.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

I got the Novara Headwind glove for ~$27 (on sale from ~$40). If you notice the pic, they have 2 extra pads right where you have problems. I play the drums and my callouses are right there along my hands as well. Had my first ride with them the other day. Kept my hands super warm (are "wind stoppers"), have reflective elements (nothing major) and can operate smart phones/devices (press down harder than usual). I love them so far. Great grip/feel, my hands didn't sweat and my callouses didn't flare up like they normally do when I ride. For under $30, you can't beat them. As this was my first ride, I can't talk about their durability. Though they do run a little long in the fingers for some of the bigger sizes.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Edit - DP

Devil Mtn Expeditions

Best gloves I'ved used...

Heavy Duty - Large-2012L at The Home Depot

$20 - durable as heck and super comfy.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoney22 View Post
    Heavy Duty - Large-2012L at The Home Depot

$20 - durable as heck and super comfy.
    Why not just wear some oven mitts?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Guess, I'll have to look into that. I've been riding since november. And I've increased my riding from initially riding 8-10 miles on the weekend to about 20 miles on the weekend. I initially had a 2013 Marin Pioneer Trail and just recently switched to a 2013 Cannondale Trail SL2 hardtail. What did you change beside gloves to help resolve the issue?

On one particular bike, a Motobecane. I went with a shorter stem and played with seat height, fore and aft positions and tilt. On my old schwinn I raised the bar/stem (quill type) and again seat position was key.

I'm guessing your Cannondale is new, you may be able to get a professional fit from the LBS where you bought your ride. This would be the best option or you can also google / search "bike fit".

Bike Fit has been "passionately" discussed at length on many forums including MTBR dot com

hope you get it figured out, sucks for your hands to hurt when your having fun.

gnewcomer aka OldMtnGoat

I eat cats

I've been riding with Oakley gloves for a few months now and they work great for me. They were also free so I really can't complain.. The pair on the left are (I think) the Overloads and the pair on the right are the Ratchets. I wear the ratchets more because they fit better but both have worked great. Apparently Oakley is discontinuing their MTB apparel line though.
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    You see, I don't have a single brand name in my signature because I know most bike brands and component brands 99%.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I tend to ride areas with quite a bit of rock, and tend to prefer trails with technical sections. Having taken a couple headers in and around rocks, I like gloves with a bit more protection. I've found Rockgardn Fates to be both comfy and burly - pretty thick on the palm side and with hard knuckle protection. But, if you're having a lot of discomfort on your palms, perhaps you might think about your bar setup as others have also suggested. Perhaps a bar with a bit more rise might help?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by gelaticruiser View Post
    why not just wear some oven mitts?
    lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    On one particular bike, a Motobecane. I went with a shorter stem and played with seat height, fore and aft positions and tilt. On my old schwinn I raised the bar/stem (quill type) and again seat position was key.

I'm guessing your Cannondale is new, you may be able to get a professional fit from the LBS where you bought your ride. This would be the best option or you can also google / search "bike fit".

Bike Fit has been "passionately" discussed at length on many forums including MTBR dot com

hope you get it figured out, sucks for your hands to hurt when your having fun.

gnewcomer aka OldMtnGoat
    I will definitely get this done. Even though I can adjust my seat I wouldn't understand the science behind why I'm doing it even though it shouldn't be rocket science. Evidently it is to me! Lol!!!

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I would NOT write off some of the lighter weight work glove offerings. Sometimes there is very little difference other than price.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

banned
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    I would NOT write off some of the lighter weight work glove offerings. Sometimes there is very little difference other than price.
    Gor-Tex, Leather, and Kevlar are a hands best friends ... Technically the referenced "oven mitts" are more like dishwashing gloves

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I've been using Fox Dirtpaws (blue ones) for a few months now. Haven't had a fall, so I'm not sure how durable the padding is but the glove is well-ventilated (at the fingers) and comfortable. Padding is not thick and restrictive, which probably adds to the comfort.

mtbr member
    Instead of your gloves..it might be your grips...I use ESI grips (chunky) and have never had a problem with that part of my hand hurting...try 'em out and see.

ESI grips
    We Can't Stop Here...This Is Bat Country.
    Out Of Step.

meh?
    Bike fit, and a relaxed grip are probably big factors in your pain. I just wear Royal Racing Crowns. They're like $10 on JensonUSA. They've got a leather palm, but no padding. I love them. They've held up well, fit well, and my hands feel fine. I do have a pretty significant callous on my left hand in the area you circled, but I have a feeling that might be from how hold the steering wheel when I drive + my wedding ring is there.
    2013 Chromag Rootdown
    2010 SC Chameleon
    2001 Specalized Rockhopper FSR

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast