Thread: Gloves

I Rode a Metric Century!

Gloves

Looking to order some new gloves, and I was wondering what gloves you all use.

If you have a photo and or link that would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/148...ger-Gloves.htm

Axo Rides, real cheap, durable, vent well lots of colors. Been on a pair for 6 months and still holding up really well, no finger holes and what not.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Fox dirt paws.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I have Fox Dirt Paws as well and i would recommend trying something else. The seams started to come apart on my first ride with them. I sewed them back up and now the seams between the fingers are starting to come apart. Ya never know though, maybe i just got a bad pair. On the positive side...they do look sweet!

fool goin up, joker down
    Jan 2009
    Well it really just depends on the style of riding that you are gonna be doing.

Riding makes me happy!
    I use Fox Dirt Paws. My last pair lasted 2 years and are now my mechanic's gloves. No tears or seam rips. I have used gloves for BMX/urban, MX, and mtn riding for since the early 90s and have never had any issues whatsoever with any of them.
    You guys and gals make me want to ride off-road.

Check out my Twitter: http://twitter.com/Bohamilton

rides with camera
    I got Dakine defenders from my wife and think they are the sh#t ! I also ride with fox perpetrators and they feel pretty good too .

Hoosier
    I use Specialized gloves. Gloves are like saddles and very subjective. I'd try them on before I bought.
    SS is like beer...its an acquired taste.

{Believeland}
    I am going to have to say Fox Dirt Paws; durable, comfortable, and inexpensive....
    ride fast.... live slow

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I'm rocking a pair of Franklin batting gloves.

Pros - Inexpensive compared to some of the biking gloves. They vent well. Palms are contoured for holding on to a round object, like a handlebar grip or a bat. Fingers are sticky enough for the brake lever and gear shifters and they haven't worn down as quickly as my old biking gloves did. Old gloves were Fox brand. They developed holes in the finger and the seams started to split after a year of riding. Two years of riding with the Franklin gloves and they still look and feel brand new.

Cons - They aren't really biking gloves.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    I've had several iterations of Fox Sidewinders over the years..good gloves.

mtbr member
    i use
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93641

non vented backs - good for winter

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    oakley assault gloves.

Seems like biking gloves don't last very long. Kinda makes you wonder if they manufacture them the way they are so you'll have to buy a new one every season.

Using my shooting gloves and they double as shooting and riding gloves. Lasted 4 years even with a crack in the carbon knuckle area!

plasma donor
    I only use gloves below freezing, but for down to the low teens, I run a cheap set of neoprene kyaking gloves. Think the pair cost $10. They don't breathe tho, so you will sweat. Below the low teens, I sport these;

http://www.spyder.com/Mens-Gloves/Fa...html?color=001

mtbr member
    http://garage.mechanix.com/detail.aspx?ID=52

I bought a lot of 3 of these gloves for 15 bucks plus shipping. full leather palm and breathable mesh back. I have used one pair for a year now and after you throw them in the washer they look brand new again. I dont think i will ever buy bike specific gloves again because they all fell apart. Look at the mechanix web sight. They have tons of different styles if you dont like the ones i have.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Old batting gloves from baseball.

mtbr member
    04 Fox Sidewinder (3 years before I wore a hole in the thumb).
    06 Fox Sidewinder (palm came apart three weeks after getting them)
    07 Fox Sidewinder (a little more than a year).

I like the 07's the best. Seamless finger tips are great and the rubber palm protection works great. The 06's were uncomfortable and the seams were quite bad. My wife repaired the palm and I added fleece to make them winter gloves. The 04's were also very good but didn't go up the wrist very far and the body and fingers were looser even in a size smaller than the 06/07.

I have tried other gloves but these fit the best. Specialized was a very close second.

Members who have read this thread: 0