mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Gloves for 25 F and above

What would be the best and least bulky gloves I could for mountain biking if the lowest temp I plan to ride is 25F?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Guys at the Adventure Cycling Association were recently talking about the Craft Hybrid Weather glove as being a good option. Looks like some versions of it come as a glove/mitten combo for around $35.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've used XC ski gloves for years. Nowadays there are some bike-specific brands like Mavic, Giro, Enduro etc that make cold weather gloves too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

I've been using a neoprene version of Castelli gloves -- $13 from Chainlove. Not at all waterproof but very warm, regardless of how wet your hands get.

mtbr member
    I have a pair of thin black gloves made by Hind that I picked up about 10 years ago or more and don't know what I would do if i misplaced them. They are thin, articulate well for xc skiing or mtb and work great down to low 20s F. They say " windjammer" on the cuff and block out ALL wind and cold. Any colder and I put a thin glove liner in and that gets me down to single digits. Better than any xc ski glove I've owned. I don't know if Hind still makes them but maybe the Gore windstopper products compare.
    " All things flow according to the whim of The Great Magnet ".

Hunter S. Thompson

mtbr member
    Have the Gore Windstopper gloves and overall I like them for weather down to maybe 30. Lower than that and my hands get cold so I put on the lobsters by Pearl. I had really hoped the Gores would have been better at lower temps but for me they just are not.
    2013 Specialized Carbon Camber Pro 29er (Warranty frame and other stuff round two)
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Got a few gloves that keep me warm to maybe 35 but none I rave about. It's nice to have more than one pair so you're always warm and dry. Below 35-40 I like Planet Bikes Borealis. Semi-lobster, separate removable fleece liners. I wear the outer gloves with fingerless bike gloves inside down to mid 20s. Below that I use their fleece liners. You can use the fleece alone in warmer temps too. Good product.

Fat-tired Roadie
    At that temperature, I'm still okay layering glove liners under the full-fingered gloves I wear all year. At 25, it's a bit marginal. But okay. Certainly fine in the low 30s above freezing.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx