I'm with stupid

Giro Xen Replacement

I broke the roc lock contraption after a wreck and figured that If i hit my head hard enough to break that then the helmet was done. Im looking for something that FITS the same way. I have a smallish sized head (22" on the money) So I ordered up a foz flux and the helmet fits like crap on my head. I have a longer front to back alien head. The Xen fit great but the flux is way to wide on the side of my head. Anyone know what replaced the Xen, or one someone that used the Xen and got something else that fit. Thanks.

Mai
    mtbr member
    Xar

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood and I,
    I took the road less traveled by and
    It has made all the difference. R Frost

T.W.O.
    I have both Xen and Flux, I switch them back and forth no issues. If you like how Xen fit and feel I'd stick with it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    ditto. I had the xen and now use the xar. xar has a better roc loc. and adjustments. dial in the fit and you're good to go. How could you think of switching from Giro?

I'm with stupid
    I would just stick with the xen but it seems they are not making it any more and all I can find is small or XL

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    the xen is discontinued and has been replaced by the xar. The xar has better fit adjustments and just as tough. I used my xen non-stop and took some big hits until after a few year of abuse the straps gave way. Went to the xar as the medium is the same size and after a hit to the head the other day it tok it without and probs. Go with the xar. Google qbike and get the lowest price.

EDR
    Call them. Inspect the foam carefully and if it's fully intact I'd bet they would send you new hardware for free....

Anyway, more to your point. I had a Xen for a few years and really like the fit. When I cracked it I bought a Bell Variant (I think that's what it is) and it fits just fine. Been using it for 2 or 3 years now.

If you are funky-headed though the only way to know is to try them on first or maybe buy from Amazon or similar with free return shipping.

Amazon.com: Bell Variant Bike Helmet: Sports & Outdoors

Mai
    mtbr member
    Jenson USA has the XAR for $65

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood and I,
    I took the road less traveled by and
    It has made all the difference. R Frost

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    I had the same issue.. the Xen fit SO well, much better than any other I had used. Smashed it on a low hanging tree branch. Happened to walk into a local shop and they had a few left over Xar's on 1/2 price sale.. (it's been out a few yrs now) got to say the Xar is even better!! better fit system and MUCH better pads! get one, you wont regret it
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

EDR
    Amazon has the medium Titanium/Blue Xen for 51 bucks.

Amazon.com: Giro Xen Bike Helmet: Sports & Outdoors

More here for $51 > xen from Departmentofgoods.com

%$#$*!
    I loved my Xen, but replaced it with the Uvex xp cc. Similar in looks, but IMO the Uvex is better designed and has a better adjustment system. At 260g, it's light, too.

uvex sports - Cycling - Cycling helmets - uvex xp cc - black mat

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    +1 on the UVEX XPCC.....I actually bought two.

Superlight and breathable, super low profile and feather lite. It is truly the one helmet that I can honestly say that I forget about while riding. One small gripe is that my Oakley JawBones seem to interfere with the plastic that tightens the helmet onto your head......but I am confident that I will be able to adjust it out.

The two people that have tried it on after asking me about it have both said, "Oh yeah, I may have to get one of these."
    The more you ride it, the lighter it gets.
    '12 Santa Cruz TallBoy
    '11 Vassago Bandersnatch
    '08 Specilaized Pitch Pro

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I have a Uvex xp100 (predecessor to the cc) and agree with the above comments. However, at 22 inches, your noggin is at the lower end of the fit scale (55-60 cm), so I would find one to fit prior to ordering.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by desertred View Post
    I have a Uvex xp100 (predecessor to the cc) and agree with the above comments. However, at 22 inches, your noggin is at the lower end of the fit scale (55-60 cm), so I would find one to fit prior to ordering.
    ya, the Uvex's I've tried are nice... but I wont buy helmet or shoes without trying the fit first, just too risky with individual fit
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    ya, the Uvex's I've tried are nice... but I wont buy helmet or shoes without trying the fit first, just too risky with individual fit
    Same here I wont be doing that again, now I have a fancy Fox helmet that I cant stand but still use it because it cost so much and I figure that once you ride with it you own it when it comes to helmets.

Yes, that's fonetic
    I have the same shaped head only in a larger size. The Xen fit me perfectly and I've had several, but out of curiosity I have tried many different brands over the years with little or no luck. Just picked up a Poc Trabec for a steal on Chainlove ($79) and the fit seems identical to the Giro.