Thread: Giro Xar vs Xen

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Giro Xar vs Xen

Does anyone know if the coverage on the back of the helmet on the new Xar is as good or comes down as far as the Xen it is replacing?

Creepy tooth fairy

They are pretty close...

...I ran the Xen for about 7 years +/- and the Xar feels and fits similarly. However, it is seemingly lighter weight and has better air flow. The fit does seem to cradle your noggin a wee bit better too.
    the going won't get good 'til I'm good and gone

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by climnron View Post
    Does anyone know if the coverage on the back of the helmet on the new Xar is as good or comes down as far as the Xen it is replacing?
    Should not be hard, as the Xen does not come down much in the rear to start with. It comes down in the back no lower then any xc or road helmet I've owned or tried on. The reason it LOOKS like it comes down far in the back is because it come down very little on the sides.

Becuase of how little it comes down on the sides, and the fact that it is just about average down the back, the Xen is the LEAST overall coverage of the 5 helmets I have owned, and all were older "xc" lids.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

usually cranky
    if you want max coverage id look at other lids like the giro feature or poc trabec or even the fox flux.