mtbr member
    Nov 2016

GIRO Switchblade Failure

Ended up going OTB today after hitting a soft spot on a berm and the chin bar of the switchblade broke off, leaving me with gnarly rock rash across my lower face.

In the photos, you can see the red retaining clip on the left side of the helmet completely broke off, allowing the chin guard to fold down and expose my face to the earth. The helmet is three rides/four weeks old.

Just an FYI for those looking at removable chin bar helmets - I'm not sure I'd recommend them.

GIRO Switchblade Failure-img_1396.jpgGIRO Switchblade Failure-img_1394.jpgGIRO Switchblade Failure-img_1395.jpgGIRO Switchblade Failure-img_1390.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    And this is precisely why I didn't get one of those. Much better to get a ventilated permanent full face like the MET Parachute or the Fox Proframe.

You make it out ok?

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    For the most part, yeah.

OTB-casued injuries include a bloody left wrist & knee and an angled series of slashes on my chest.

Giro-failure-caused injury includes a gash in my upper lip and rock rash on lower lip/chin (see below).

But hey, its better than it would've been had I still been riding with my Fox Flux and it stopped the rock from breaking my jaw.

GIRO Switchblade Failure-img_1397.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gckless View Post
    And this is precisely why I didn't get one of those. Much better to get a ventilated permanent full face like the MET Parachute or the Fox Proframe.

You make it out ok?
    Hey but you keep reading how their internal tests indicate they'd meet 1952.

Just like you I went for a Parachute over the Super2r
    Mojo 3- For Sale
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Wow......it's like 1998 all over again.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Damn, that sucks. Like others have posted, I'm favoring the new Fox or the Parachute instead of getting something with a removable chin guard.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Not really sure I'm willing to extrapolate the performance of the Giro include 2R's. I certainly wouldn't replace a normal full face with a 2R, but I'm pretty confident my 2R will leave me in better shape than a Fox Flux.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    Not really sure I'm willing to extrapolate the performance of the Giro include 2R's. I certainly wouldn't replace a normal full face with a 2R, but I'm pretty confident my 2R will leave me in better shape than a Fox Flux.
    Why not? 2R isn't certified and the new switchblade, which it looks like, is 1952 certified.

The MET is well enough ventilated that you'd gain nothing from removing the chin bar other than making it weaker. The Fox looks like it might be close, but again the Chin bar doesn't look like that part that would make it a warm helmet.
    Mojo 3- For Sale
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    It's an entirely different helmet. That's like saying if something broke on your Toyota, that it'll also break on your Honda. The attachment system for the 2R looks quite a bit more substantial.

Also, the MET is a two piece helmet. It isn't a single piece shell like a Fox Rampage, the chin bar is entirely separate and attached with 2 rivets on each side. I'd put just as much faith in the MET as a 2R, which is to say plenty, but neither are a true full face helmet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    It's an entirely different helmet. That's like saying if something broke on your Toyota, that it'll also break on your Honda. The attachment system for the 2R looks quite a bit more substantial.

Also, the MET is a two piece helmet. It isn't a single piece shell like a Fox Rampage, the chin bar is entirely separate and attached with 2 rivets on each side. I'd put just as much faith in the MET as a 2R, which is to say plenty, but neither are a true full face helmet.
    That's your prerogative, I disagree.
    Mojo 3- For Sale
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I just snapped the chin bar on my super 3r. Their definitely not made for abuse. But I think they have a place in the market if your doing long climbs and need the extra airflow.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rossy View Post
    I just snapped the chin bar on my super 3r. Their definitely not made for abuse. But I think they have a place in the market if your doing long climbs and need the extra airflow.
    What extra air flow? Have you even tried a Parachute?
    Mojo 3- For Sale
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Well mate when you remove the chin bar to climb you get extra airflow.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rossy View Post
    Well mate when you remove the chin bar to climb you get extra airflow.
    My MET doesn't restrict airflow is the point. I actually find it better ventilated than many of the expensive 1/2 domes I've had over the years.
    Mojo 3- For Sale
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I ordered the MET - it seemed to be a pretty solid thing and the crash tests in a German magazine werde really good. It just didn't fit me - the chin bar was way too high for my longish face. It's a pity - nice helmet otherwise.