Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MaTt 93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    13

    Giro Helmets - what has the most coverage?

    Hi,
    Wich helmet has the most coverage around the back of the head, The Xar, Hex or Xen? I went to my lbs but they didnt have them and said they would have to order one in, so im just trying to find out which one will provide the best coverage before i order one. They can also get bell helmets in and have considered the bell variant.
    Cheers,
    Matt

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Simplemind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    665
    Quote Originally Posted by MaTt 93 View Post
    Hi,
    Wich helmet has the most coverage around the back of the head, The Xar, Hex or Xen? I went to my lbs but they didnt have them and said they would have to order one in, so im just trying to find out which one will provide the best coverage before i order one. They can also get bell helmets in and have considered the bell variant.
    Cheers,
    Matt
    The Giro Feature offers more coverage. The Urge helmets are great as well.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MaTt 93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    13
    Yeah not sure about the feature as i ride in 104 degree heat and think i'll need the ventiltion. I would be all over a urge but they dont come in a big enough size for my fat noggin

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RobinGB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    356
    The Xar is a pretty good helmet, one of the better fitting i have tried on. Its will most likely be my next brain bucket.
    2012 Giant Reign 1

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,283
    I don't think the Xen is made anymore?

    I've been pondering Xar vs Hex recently, and I'm fairly certain that they both have about the same coverage- perhaps the Xar has an edge in terms of venting.

    Curiously, on Giro's website, the helmets best uses are described as such:

    Hex: "All-Mountain, MTB Trail Ride, MTB Endurance/Marathon"

    Xar: "All Mountain, trail riding, Endurace/Marathon XC, Super D"

    ...by that logic, I would presume the Xar has better coverage if they think it's better for Super D (lol) but I don't know that I buy that. Looks wise, they look very similar- it's not like the Xar comes down as far in the back and the sides as a POC Trabec or something.

    Oh, search "Giro Hex vs Xar" on Google and you'll find a lot of results, many on MTBR, where people compare them- I've seen a few things saying that the two helmets fit differently.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Simplemind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    665
    Quote Originally Posted by MaTt 93 View Post
    Yeah not sure about the feature as i ride in 104 degree heat and think i'll need the ventiltion. I would be all over a urge but they dont come in a big enough size for my fat noggin
    You are smart to look for more coverage. I recently "tested" my Urge with a smack on the side of the head. Still had some ear intrusion, but I don't want to think what it would have been like with a "mushroom" helmet. Yes, it's warmer, but far better protection.
    The Feature looks like a nice compromise though.
    IMHO, helmets are the one single bike accessory that should be a "money is no object" expenditure.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GTscoob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,151
    Hex and Xar/Xen have about the same coverage but fit differently.

    Hex saved my noggin once but I hate how fragile the RocLoc5 system is. Way too many small pieces of plastic to crack, was about to warranty my lid when it saved me from a concussion on a hard fall.

    Love my Feature for cooler riding but got it too late to test it out in summer heat. Tons of coverage and a great fit.

  8. #8
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,173
    Quote Originally Posted by MaTt 93 View Post
    Hi,
    Wich helmet has the most coverage around the back of the head, The Xar, Hex or Xen? I went to my lbs but they didnt have them and said they would have to order one in, so im just trying to find out which one will provide the best coverage before i order one. They can also get bell helmets in and have considered the bell variant.
    Cheers,
    Matt
    The Xen has pretty minimal coverage. The Xar has even less (I think the least of any helmet I have stuck on my head).

    I have the Xen and like it because it is comfy, but it is the least coverage of the 5 helmets I have owned over the past 12 years. My road and "xc" lids all had more coverage.

    The "AM" designation these 2 helmets get is strictly about style and looks, not about function.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    35
    the Giro Feature has good coverage and ventilation. I love it

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    The Xen has pretty minimal coverage. The Xar has even less (I think the least of any helmet I have stuck on my head).

    I have the Xen and like it because it is comfy, but it is the least coverage of the 5 helmets I have owned over the past 12 years. My road and "xc" lids all had more coverage.

    The "AM" designation these 2 helmets get is strictly about style and looks, not about function.
    Just curious, what are the other helmets you've owned for reference? Not trying to flame here but wondering which helmets have more coverage than the Xen/Xar.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,283
    ^ yeah I was curious, I'm not saying Giro is the greatest evar but I would imagine that they wouldn't market the Xar as they do if they didn't like test it and stuff, cuz I always hear how they do tons of R&D.

  12. #12
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,173
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    ^ yeah I was curious, I'm not saying Giro is the greatest evar but I would imagine that they wouldn't market the Xar as they do if they didn't like test it and stuff, cuz I always hear how they do tons of R&D.
    Sure, it meets the safety standards that helmets need to meet.

    However, nowhere do they claim that the Xar offers better/more protection then their other helmets (xc, road). They never made that claim about the Xen, either.

    You will notice that they do claim that about the Remedy, their full face DH/FR helmet.

    Go see for yourself. Go try a Xar on, and run your finger around the side and back and see where it comes down on your head, Then try some others on, even road helmets.
    Last edited by kapusta; 12-04-2012 at 07:20 PM.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

  13. #13
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,173
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowBound View Post
    Just curious, what are the other helmets you've owned for reference? Not trying to flame here but wondering which helmets have more coverage than the Xen/Xar.
    The one before the Xen was a Bell (Image, I think?) I still have it. Definitely more coverage. before that is was some other Bell, and before that I do not remember what kind.

    As far as new helmets,when I was looking to replace the Xen, I tried on a bunch in the store, and the Xar struck me in particular as being pretty light on the coverage. I remember the Fox Flux having much better coverage, but it was not comfortable. There were others, but I don't remember what models they were. Giro, Bell, and Canondale, I believe.

    Just go to a store and try them on. I'm not saying don't get the Xar (I like my Xen in spite of the coverage). I'm just saying that if coverage area is a big concern in particular, that is not one to look at.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MaTt 93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    13
    I ended up putting a order in for the feature. I figured what it lacks in ventilation is out weighed by the fact that it will protect alot more of my head

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    The one before the Xen was a Bell (Image, I think?) I still have it. Definitely more coverage. before that is was some other Bell, and before that I do not remember what kind.

    As far as new helmets,when I was looking to replace the Xen, I tried on a bunch in the store, and the Xar struck me in particular as being pretty light on the coverage. I remember the Fox Flux having much better coverage, but it was not comfortable. There were others, but I don't remember what models they were. Giro, Bell, and Canondale, I believe.

    Just go to a store and try them on. I'm not saying don't get the Xar (I like my Xen in spite of the coverage). I'm just saying that if coverage area is a big concern in particular, that is not one to look at.
    I own the E2, Xen and Xar and my opinion is they're about equal in terms of coverage. The difference is in the appearance, with the Xar looking the least like a big mushroom on the head. I agree with you about the Fox Flux having more coverage although I'd like to see a new road helmet that has more coverage than the Xar.

    To the OP, the helmets you were originally considering offer more form over function. A cheap helmet like the Giro Transfer or Bell Lumen will provide way more coverage but they won't be as "cool" looking.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •