mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Giro Animas and E2 Helmet Questions

I am having a hard time trying to get a new helmet. I'd get one locally but no one stocks anything decent.

I currently have a 2001 Giro E2 in size XL. It always felt good but some of the padding has come out and now seems a little big.

I bought a medium Bell Sweep XC a couple months ago based on the Bell sizing charts and it fit my head, however it sat too high and looked like a little beanie. This helmet also seemed really cheaply made compared to the Giro's I have seen.

Last week I bought a Giro Animas in size large. The helmet is made great and fits the circumference of my head but the thing is HUGE. It also feels like it weighs a lot and would put a lot of strain on my neck.

My question is, does anyone know how the old Giro sizing system compares to the new one? My 2001 XL E2 verses the new 2007 E2 and Animas. Also, has anyone tried on the E2 and the Animas? Does the E2 sit lower and not look as huge as the Animas?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I've had an E2 for years and just replaced it not long ago ... the sizing seemed to be about the same to me. Couldn't tell you specifically how it compares to the Animas tho...

Harrumph
    I think Bell and Giro stuff really fit differently. I've had a bunch of E2's over the years. I was recently in a bind and needed a helmet and picked up a Animas in the same size as the E2 I just cracked off my head. Sizing wise they were the same, but the E2 is a big step up in weight and fit. Unless your desperate it's stupid to pay retail for one, they can be found pretty cheap (My most recent one was 70 bucks).
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thanks guys. I sent the Animas back today and ordered the E2. I'll know next week how it's going to work.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Bell and Giro are the same company they just have different fits and styles. Bell fits a rounder head and Giro fits a more oval shape. If you want a more low slung look take a look at the Xen by Giro and the Variant from Bell.
    www.treefortbikes.com Just lauched V2.0 with free shipping and low prices!

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    You made the right choice. E2 is a great helmet--no need to try a wanna be.