Thread: Gear Funk?

mtbr member

Gear Funk?

Whatís the best way to get gear CLEAN? I wash my gear after every ride, but in the GA summers when sweating a LOT a simple wash doesnít seem to be enough to get it smelling nice. All the dirt is gone. Just not the funk.

Any tricks? Baking soda? Oxiclean? Help a smelly brotha out!
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

Bicycles aren't motorized
    Vinegar, use it in the washing machine.
    You meet the craziest people riding e-bikes!

Make
    America
    Gravel
    Again

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Interesting. I sweat like a sonofa b and wear the same shirt and shorts Monday to Friday commuting. I must be anosmic. Or have a clean diet. Or not give a shit. Or some combo of those things.

That said, I have to add some Dr. Schollís foot powder to my shoes every now and then because they truly do reek. Especially when I get caught in the rain with them. Disgusting.

Best solution - embrace the disgrace. Seek the reek. Launch the raunch. Wear it proud brother.

U sayin' Bolt ?
    An overnight soak in water with a scoop of oxyclean gets my fully alive river towels ready to be washed.

mtbr member
    I think we are supposed to smell.

mtbr member
    I find Oxiclean works really well. Borax is similar and almost as good. I've soaked really funky cycling shoes in Oxiclean and they came out great. Works for gloves, helmets, etc...
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    Best solution - embrace the disgrace. Seek the reek. Launch the raunch. Wear it proud brother.
    Nice...you're one of those guys that would really push me to stay ahead of you!

During summer I put my gloves and helmet in a bucket with whatever cleaning detergent my wife is using for the washer. Let them soak overnight, rinse and dry. That seems to 'debunk the funk'. I don't do it very often but every 10 rides or so I notice the bugs are hanging around me more on the uphill grinds.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

Don't worry, be happy!
    Oxylean FTW. Better, soak in Oxyclean + Biz overnight. Forget expensive Sport Wash, this will do the same thing.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by sturge View Post
    Nice...you're one of those guys that would really push me to stay ahead of you!
    Hahaha! Sorry. I was half cut when I posted that last night.

That said, itís kinda true. While I was cursed by being born a total sweat hog, thankfully, my sweat is completely benign. My GF says she canít smell much of anything on any of my riding shirts, even after days of plus 90 riding. It may be diet. Feet though? Thatís a whole different story.

I donít like over-washing stuff. Rightly or wrongly, I think my stuff lasts a lot longer with less washing. Especially gloves.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Hahaha! Sorry. I was half cut when I posted that last night.

That said, itís kinda true. While I was cursed by being born a total sweat hog, thankfully, my sweat is completely benign. My GF says she canít smell much of anything on any of my riding shirts, even after days of plus 90 riding. It may be diet. Feet though? Thatís a whole different story.

I donít like over-washing stuff. Rightly or wrongly, I think my stuff lasts a lot longer with less washing. Especially gloves.
    You have to balance less washing with salt from sweat degrading your fabrics.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by formica View Post
    You have to balance less washing with salt from sweat degrading your fabrics.
    Thatís a totally legitimate point. Agreed. I need to wash my stuff much more.

I was at a pub the other night after demoing bikes for about 3 hours in 90 degree weather with a buddy and some dude said to me ďHey - what the hell have you been doing man? You have a big salt stain on your shirt 6 inches down and all the way around your neck.Ē

Youíre right. I bet the salt is in fact eating away at my clothing. I should have realized that because I always clean my Oakleys after every ride for that very reason - fear that my sweat will eat away at the lenses.

Okay. Done. Thanks.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Ya all are a bunch of stinky bastards. Iím glad a simple normal run through the washing machine with normal detergent and hang dry works fine for me. Of course Iíve been told my skin is as tasty as brown sugar after a ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Ya all are a bunch of stinky bastards. Iím glad a simple normal run through the washing machine with normal detergent and hang dry works fine for me. Of course Iíve been told my skin is as tasty as brown sugar after a ride.
    Yup. Self admitted sweaty sonofa b. But at least I donít stink.

Out spokin'
    Iím glad a simple normal run through the washing machine with normal detergent and hang dry works fine for me.
    ...or so you believe. Haw haw!
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Cycologist
    It may be diet.
    Ok, wth do you eat?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Ok, wth do you eat?!
    I guess nothing really out of the ordinary. My GF suggested this. I will ask her what she meant.

I try to eat as clean as I can. If I take certain vitamins or supplements, I smell much differently than when I do not, so I do think diet affects how I smell when I sweat. The said, there is nothing bizarre about my diet. I still drink beer daily, for example. No spicy foods though.

jja
    mtbr member
    1. Vapor Fresh detergent, not too much, more is worse than less
    2. cold water wash
    3. white vinegar in the rinse or fabric softener bucket
    4. extra rinse if you have it

Holy crap! So difficult. I bet most of you double dip as well. Next time take a chip, dip it, and end it.

I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

WillWorkForTrail
    I was stuff that develops persistent funk with a soap that contains activated charcoal. It's supposed to be a fancy skin de-tox thing, but it works wonders on smelly gloves, jerseys, etc.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    I was stuff that develops persistent funk with a soap that contains activated charcoal. It's supposed to be a fancy skin de-tox thing, but it works wonders on smelly gloves, jerseys, etc.
    Brand name?
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

No known cure
    For me, some brands of clothes just won't come smell clean. I have Fox jersey that no matter what I do to it, it will always have some funk.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    For me, some brands of clothes just won't come smell clean. I have Fox jersey that no matter what I do to it, it will always have some funk.
    Did you ever loan it to a monkey?

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Brand name?
    =sParty
    This is the one my wife has laying around:

Gender Bender | Perfectly Posh

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    Vinegar, use it in the washing machine.
    I do this too. Also works for stuff in the washer you forgot to unload the night before.

Not letting the damp clothes fester in a wet pile will help. Body sweat + warm temps = funky smell.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

Yeah, I'm that a$$hole.
    Something that has helped me along with using Biz, I stopped using 100% Polyester riding shirts. I've switched to Tri-Blend (50 poly, 25 cotton, 25 rayon) or even better wool. My clothes stink far less during and esp after a ride. I also wash everything immediately when I get home and hang dry.

Diet helps too, but changing material of shirts and better washing is easier.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2018 Diamondback Release 5C
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail

mtbr member
    Maybe you do this already but...

Do you let your gear dry on the porch for a day after your use it?

That keeps my stuff from getting too funky.
    "You can be clipped in and be boring or ride flats and have a good time." - Sam Hill

Itís a good thing this thread was moved from the General Discussion forum over to the Apparrel and Protection forum 2 days ago. It was getting way too much enjoyable feedback over there. Here itís gotten ZERO responses in 2 days. Why? Because this forum is a worthless forum. It falls under General Discussion topics.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Itís a good thing this thread was moved from the General Discussion forum over to the Apparrel and Protection forum 2 days ago. It was getting way too much enjoyable feedback over there. Here itís gotten ZERO responses in 2 days. Why? Because this forum is a worthless forum. It falls under General Discussion topics.
    Agreed. I always try to post things in the General Sub-Forum, hoping I get at least a few responses before the thread gets sentenced to death in some other tomb of a sub-forum.

mtbr member
    This time of year is the worst! My gear has the added funk of bug spray to my sweat.

I soak my gear (elbow pads, knee/shin guards, helmet pads) for 30 minutes in a bucket with a gallon of mildly hot water, 1 cup of white vinegar and a couple tablespoons of baking soda. I then will set it out to air dry.

Vinegar smell dissipates completely and all funk does too.
    AreBee

used to be RipRoar
    I'm a fan of the bucket soak and OxiClean as well. I like the bucket pre-rinse to dump off the majority of the dirt, especially in winter. I've never needed to do the Vinegar but man a couple buddies of mine sure do!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Oxiclean works great as a soak or in the pre-wash of your machine.
    Just started using gain detergent pods w oxiclean in b/c they were on sale. Prob never going back. My stuff actually smells good, instead of being non-stinky now.
    I'll still use oxiclean powder in the precast after those ultra sweaty rides but the gain pods work well for all other situations.
    I'm probably going to get cancer from whatever is in those things that makes clothes smell good, but it's nice to not be smelling my ferocious pit stank on long climbs (at least in rides less than 3 hours).

mtbr member
    Air dry after every ride and you prob won't get the funk... I use gear bags with mesh pockets.

mtbr member
    I wash jerseys after each ride and shorts every two rides. They never get funky. I don't wear a pack anymore so that's not an issue. My shoes never get funky. I wear fresh socks each ride and dry them out.

The only gear i have that gets stinky is my knee and elbow pads, which I wear every ride. I air dry them when I get home. Then just go by smell. In the winter I might wash them once a month. In the summer probably once every two weeks. I run one cycle with oxiclean and one cycle with a big splash of fabric softener. They smell great afterwards. No lingering odour.

I think letting everything air dry after each ride is pretty important. I'd be afraid to throw all that gear in a bag and forget about it for a week!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I have enough kit to go about 2 weeks before I need to wash everything. After a ride, I usually let things air out a bit and then it get's tossed in the hamper. When I run out of clothes, I do laundry. I wash everything with Tide on the delicate cycle, hang to dry. Never have an issue with funk.
    Hey guys, lets go play bieks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    New to the forum, mandatory first post

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    HEre's what I do, not different than any of the other suggestions here outside of

Quick spray down with Lysol aerosol, do it after each ride and it helps to stem the FUNK

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I just take a small bucket of chlorination water out of the hot tub and soak my gear for a while then rinse and let dry.