Thread: Gear bags

mtbr member

Gear bags

Any recommendations for a good mountain bike gear bag? I am surprised I've never seen one advertised. do they even exist?

I'm currently just using a standard sports bag but I'm wondering if there's something that will do a better job of keeping all my gear organized and maybe even a little cleaner. A place for shoes, helmet, gloves, energy bars, clothes, spare tubes, tools, etc. and some vents to allow the stinkiness out would be great.
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I bought a great bike gear bag by Specialized back in 1997. Holds everything in different compartments nicely. One end of the bag has a mesh compartment for shoes, the other side is for a helmet. I don't know if they still make it, but if they do, I highly recommend it.

mtbr member
    You might check out the OGIO bags. I have a cycling specific OGIO model but frankly don't like it. By the time you put your shoes and helmet in their compartments you don't any room left for clothes. Plus it doesnt hold its shape at all. So I'm also interested what others suggest. A plain duffle might just be the best anyway.
    Where's the gas pedal on this thing?

mtbr member
    I got a duffle bag from a local shop way back in the early 90s...I have used it for skateboarding..and now mtbing..the zipper is busted but I still use it...it has worked forever...thats what I suggest to use...I put all my bike stuff in there.
    We Can't Stop Here...This Is Bat Country.
    Out Of Step.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I highly recommend the Dakine Riders duffel bag, they have a couple sizes, I have an older 3100cu one. It is awesome, it has a main compartment which is big enough to hold helmet, clothes, gloves, soft armor etc , and has one compartment on each end, each end one can fit two pairs of shoes, so even the medium size bag is good. Also each compartment has a tarp like liner, so it doesn't get screwed up inside, it has has some soft rigidity to it so it doesn't collapse down. You can get the large size on rei for $50 right now.

mtbr member
    An IKEA bag works surprisingly well and the price is right.
    I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I just hate vegetables.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    This looks pretty badass:
    Specialized Bicycle Components

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    That's a newer version of the bag I bought in 1997. Well designed, it's from Specialized, how could it not be?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I use a Mountainsmith Bike Cube Deluxe. It has three separate main compartments and individual storage spaces within each compartment. The center compartment is big enough for a helmet and shoes. It comes with a mat you can use to change on.

Name:  P13524555.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  8.5 KB