Thread: Gear Bags?

mtbr member

Gear Bags?

Typically my shoes and helmet just ride in the back seat and I pack an old bookbag with my shorts, shammy, gloves and jersey the night before a ride. Then toss it in the truck with the bike before leaving for work.

With a 2nd baby on the way the back seat real-estate is about to become endangered so I need a legit gear bag that hold the previously mentioned things, plus a helmet and shoes.

I would like a bag that has an external helmet and shoe section (especially shoes) so they don't stink up the inside of the bag. If not external, at least WELL vented.

What are you guys using? I was thinking something like this.

Gear Bags?-img_7868a.jpg
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Following....

mtbr member
    I have that bag. Love it. The whole front is mesh, and the helmet and shoes have separate dividers

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I've been looking everywhere for a duffel bag that meets my criteria... very similar to what you're looking for with a few extras. It's to the point where I've considered manufacturing my own design (already drawn and a proto is somewhat arranged for). Unfortunately it seems that a US made bag w/ higher price point is my only real option... Perhaps a kickstarter is in order.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho1 View Post
    I have that bag. Love it. The whole front is mesh, and the helmet and shoes have separate dividers

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
    Nice, thanks! I have read enough reviews and watched a few videos on it so far. I am pretty sold on it. With the exchange rate, it's only 62$ shipped. I may just go ahead and pull the trigger.
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    I have that bag. Love it. I have used it for about 2 years. Keeps everything organized and with the mesh top nice and dry. I would buy one in a second.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I have an older Oakley duffle bag that's big enough to carry all my cycling cloths, towel, plus some other gear as needed. It also has a waterproof shoe cubby on the end. It's not divided in the main compartment but I don't have any issue fitting a helmet in the bag on top of everything else that's in there. The shoe compartment is nice for when my shoes get muddy but honestly I usually just toss them on the floor board when I'm done my ride. And I've not really found a need for a separate helmet compartment.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

Big M, Little organ.
    Jan 2004
    I use a big gym bag. I keep a lot of gear in my trunk. I keep several sets of pads, jackets, 2 helmets, many gloves, etc in it. It doesnít have separate compartments except for a couple pockets on each end.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

mtbr member
    I've liked the idea of that Cat5Gear bag but never got one. Another one to consider is the Osprey TrailKit Duffel Bag.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    A triathlon transition bag seems like it would fit the bill (so long as you aren't carrying a full-face helmet). Meant to hold a helmet, 2 pairs of shoes a wetsuit and a towel. With separate compartments for wet stuff. Better ones open flat so you can get your transition setup straight at home and just set it on the ground and go.

Unfortunately they're pricey, like anything really purpose-built.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Large Rubbermaid tote.

mtbr member
    How about the Osprey Trailkit?

OSPREY Trailkit

Poser
    About 2 months ago I realized I could speed up my routine with a bag to keep everything together for trips from house to car and back again.

Somebody on the board mentioned an Ogio bag, the Endurance 9.0.

Turns out it's working great. One of my things was that I wanted separate pockets for most things...dirty shoes in one big pocket, used/dirty clothes in another, clean in yet another, etc etc. And a way to get the helmet to piggyback on the outside.

It works for all this, and now I have a pre-post ride routine based around the bag which is helping me not forget things.

I don't love the Ogio look, but I had to suck it up on this one because it just works so well.

mtbr member
    Do some of you people seriously throw your sweaty helmet etc into an air tight bag/tote in between rides and let it get funked up...?

Poser
    Quote Originally Posted by EatsDirt View Post
    Do some of you people seriously throw your sweaty helmet etc into an air tight bag/tote in between rides and let it get funked up...?
    I don't. All the pockets I mentioned for clothes either have mesh, or for the helmet, it's a exterior "hammock" it rides in.

mtbr member
    I use the North Face Base Camp duffels, just because we've had them for years. They come in several sizes and take a serious beating. Think it's the medium I use, have a couple pairs of shoes, and 2 or 3 shorts, jerseys, socks, gloves, helmet, knee pads, water bottles, hip pack, tube and tool strap. All I need is the bike and toss the bag in and I know everything I need is there. No I don't let the helmet funk it up, or anything. Always let stuff dry or wash in between rides if possible.

since 4/10/2009
    I have an older Adidas soccer duffel (can't find it online anywhere, so it appears no longer made) with a mesh ball pouch on one side (perfect for helmets) and a vented shoe pocket on the other side. It has an organizer pocket for small crap, and a big main pocket that's good for a clean change of clothes and such.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by EatsDirt View Post
    Yes that is exactly what I do. Because once an item is placed into a bag or tote it is banished to said confinement until its next usage.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Hmm, Iíd like a bag too but it would have to be large:
    Floor pump
    Box of gels
    Hydration mix
    2 water bottles
    Helmet
    Shoes
    Gloves

Currently all this stuff just sits in the back of my Jeep in my dogs bed lol. Iím thinking a large plastic tote that I could put some sort of dividers in would work well.

mtbr member
    I suggest that whatever bag or carrier you get for your gear, don't get one with a black interior. I have a really nice multipocket bag I got at Cabela's and it's a black hole. I can't see or find anything in it without a flashlight.
    Do the math.