mtbr member

Gear Bag Recomendations

Just looking for ideas to carry all of my nasty MTB gear. I'd like to be able to stuff dirty shoes, socks, arm warmers, jersey, shorts, gloves, helmet, and camelbak all into a single bag. The trick would be finding a bag that will air out the gear and have the ability to keep muddy shoes for getting everything else really dirty. Show me how you keep your gear organized while on the go.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I use an Eddie Bauer gear bag for cross country - one end has a pocket that keeps shoes and other filthy gear separated from the main part. For downhill I use a ski gear bag - much bigger pockets on the ends. For the really gross rides I keep a garbage bag in my gear bags. A friend showed me a better idea in a divers or rafters gear bag - sealable and reusable...

Fat-tired Roadie
    I have an REI duffle with three compartments and a couple pockets. There are compartments on the ends that I use for my shoes and my nasty, sweaty riding clothes, and I can throw everything else in the middle one. Small things, like sun glasses, tools, and a heart rate monitor strap, can go in the two zip pockets.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    I have a couple bags, but the old Da Kine duffel bag I have pulls dirty duty in the summer. A couple of end pockets can serve for gear with a large interior for clean stuff. There is also a top pocket for dirty clothes. I would usually throw my shoes on the floor of the Rav after a good beating to get off the mud.
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member

mtbr member
    I bought a $20 Nike bag that I use unless the dirty stuff is too nasty and then I just toss it in a garbage bag for the ride home. That way I never have to clean the gym bag.

mtbr member
    This wont help for ventilation, but if you want a gear bag that will last until you get tired of looking at it.,,,,check out the North Face base camp duffel. They come in 4 sizes and I cant say enough about the quality. These bags are top notch. I have an XL that I basically use as a complete car camping weekend bag. The medium would work well for what you describe.
    - MOOTS Mooto X
    - Salsa Fargo
    - Surly Pugsley
    - Cannondale SL4 29

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I've been thinking about this too. Currently I use an old duffle bag with one large compartment. When the dirty shoes go in there then I have to clean out the bag.

I also keep my bikes in the basement, which has a door on the side of the house opposite the driveway, and I have a small hill to deal with too. When I roll the bike out from the basement, I carry my gear bag, but the duffle is a little unwieldy, and since it doesn't fit my Osprey pack I have 2 bags to carry, while pushing a bike. Yes I could wear the Osprey, but bear with me.

If I had one of these hockey equipment backpacks I could keep all of my gear in it, wear it on my back, and have the shoes in a separate compartment. I also remove and air out everything when I get home so I haven't thought too much about the ventilation aspect of it.

Mission Elite Jr. Equipment Backpack

They make Junior sized ones which are still pretty big, but perfect for mtb gear. I'm keeping an eye out at the consignment shop/sporting good used shops. I think this might be a winner.

Stu
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Mountainsmith made a cube that I have that has compartments for everything. I have one and recommend it.

mtbr member
    I use a laundry basket...works perfectly.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

Wait for me!

Gear Bag Recomendations

Motocross gear bag. I have a mid size oneal bag. It has mesh vent panels and plenty of room for my shoes, pads, camelback, full face, Leatt and clothes

Wait for me!

Gear Bag Recomendations

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390083799.847784.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  219.3 KBsomething like this

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Been using a blue IKEA bag. Stuff my gear after a ride and knot the handles. Fits my helmet, knee/shin pads, gloves, etc. Great thing is that it's ventilated holds all the gunk inside and washable. Working so far.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Have you considered a hockey duffle bag? Sturdy, comes in various sizes with pockets, and available at various price points