Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: G-Form Pads

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I use the knee pads for snowboarding. They're tight at first but they break in. Awesome for a thin flexible knee pad.

Resident Gear Head

Re: G-Form Pads

Quote Originally Posted by Ftb90 View Post
    I use the knee pads for snowboarding. They're tight at first but they break in. Awesome for a thin flexible knee pad.
    Glad to hear they do break in. I measure for a size large via the specs on the g form site but they felt a bit snug. I rode again today and noticed a bit of bunching at the back of the knee, leads to a bit of friction that can get annoying but I am sure it will subside as they break in. I took one small spill on a sandy corner, washed out the front end and the pads did offer some protection. Took another small flop later on and fell right on top of my knee. Not a hard fall at all but I could feel the pad helped. I felt a bit of a thud through the pad but it did do its job. Still haven't fallen on any rocky sections but I'm sure that will happen soon enough.
    2 Hands Working Do More Than 1000 Hands Praying

mtbr member
    I had mine for less than two months before they fell apart. Stitching on Lycra at top bottom ends and complete blow out of Lycra on superior side of knee pads. Never fell in them. POC cpd more comfortable and articulated. I ride basic xc

Resident Gear Head
    Just exchanged my size large for an XL and WOW soooo much more comfortable

mtbr member
    My GF used the elbow pad...crashed and ripped the lycra part.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    My GF used the elbow pad...crashed and ripped the lycra part.
    More important, in this case, did it do it's job for her?

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by brmeyer135 View Post
    exactly! if it prevented rash, bloody arm etc then that = success.

broken hipster
    Unfortunately I picked these up after I messed up my elbow but they are working well. No slippage but they do bunch up behind the knee and get a little uncomfortable. Not too bad though.
    They do require a washing, turned my arms green. Thought I was bruising until it washed off.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

G-Form Pads

Stitching on my knees has been solid over 5 months months, riding 5-6 days a week, 2-4 hrs per ride, saves my skin on a crash about every 2 weeks. Plenty of holes in the Lycra from that, but still holding together just fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brmeyer135 View Post
    They did their job.

I was just hoping they would go more than one crash before ripping. It was a low speed fall. It is what it is...

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I've had the black G-Form knee & elbow pads for more than a year. They are okay. They don't get as hot as some of the other knee pads I've used, and are fairly easy to put on and take off. The elbow ones do move down some after a longer ride, but not by much. I like them since they look much better than the big bulky knee/elbow pads from other manufactures. I've had a couple of smaller crashes with them, and they did just fine. For more serious rides I switch to heavier, bigger knee pads, but same G-Form elbow pads, only because I'm not sure how well the knee pads would do in a big crash, not because they have proved to be unsafe. I've washed them a bunch of times and all the stickers have fallen off, but the pads still look fine. Overall, as others have said, I would recommend them for XC like rides, but they're probably not strong enough for serious DH.

Resident Gear Head
    Weird how these seem to be hit or miss on quality

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I bought two pairs of large or xl legs. They fit tight and ended up using them as elbows instead. Went to 661 pads for the knees (Kyle straight models). Nice and light, very comfortable for xc trail rides but they tend to slip in slide type crashes as its just the lycra sticky strips that bold them in place. They do the job though, and are less restrictive and warm than the beefier style POC or 661 type pads.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Hi
    I want to buy your G-Form Knee
    I looked at g-form size table. I know that my size is L. But I would like to know whether XL size would suit me. So could you please help me, which size will be more preferable for me? I have a knee size = 38.2 cm (15.15 inch) and my length is 197 cm.
    Thx

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    They did their job.

I was just hoping they would go more than one crash before ripping. It was a low speed fall. It is what it is...
    Take them to a tailor/alteration place and have the old lady behind the sewing machine have at it. I've had mine stitched up twice and I still usem. I poke holes thru mine from snaggin thru brush.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I've been using the G-Form pads for about 6 months now, the first pair I had were XL's and they fit real good, no slipping and were fairly cool during a long ride. The elbow pads fit even better, you forget you have them on. However I had one knee pad start to unravel at the top seam and a hole developed just above the pad. I had never crashed and I always hand washed and drip dried.

So I contacted G-Form and they exchanged the knee pads w/o issue. However the second set seems to be of much lower quality and the fit is completely different. Now they slip down my knees in a quarter mile which is really irritating and after one ride the G-Form logo and lettering on the back flaked off. It seems the rubberized anti-slip strip on the top is not as tacky as the old version. So I have used them on 3 rides seeing if they would break-in and quit slipping but once again the sewing on the top seam is coming apart. The elbow pads are the originals and they are still perfect.

So I think I give up on these, they are too expensive to be having issues like this. I will give the company feedback but doubt they will replace the pads again. Now looking for better quality knee pads that are similar in being light weight and cool.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastline View Post
    I've been using the G-Form pads for about 6 months now, the first pair I had were XL's and they fit real good, no slipping and were fairly cool during a long ride. The elbow pads fit even better, you forget you have them on. However I had one knee pad start to unravel at the top seam and a hole developed just above the pad. I had never crashed and I always hand washed and drip dried.

So I contacted G-Form and they exchanged the knee pads w/o issue. However the second set seems to be of much lower quality and the fit is completely different. Now they slip down my knees in a quarter mile which is really irritating and after one ride the G-Form logo and lettering on the back flaked off. It seems the rubberized anti-slip strip on the top is not as tacky as the old version. So I have used them on 3 rides seeing if they would break-in and quit slipping but once again the sewing on the top seam is coming apart. The elbow pads are the originals and they are still perfect.

So I think I give up on these, they are too expensive to be having issues like this. I will give the company feedback but doubt they will replace the pads again. Now looking for better quality knee pads that are similar in being light weight and cool.
    It's weird. My knee/shin pad slips like crazy until I get a little perspiration built up. That seems to make the rubber at the top stick to my skin. But if it's a cold ride, sometimes it takes a solid 10-15 minutes before that happens, and it's to the point that I have just given up on pulling them up over and over until I have ridden for a few minutes.

It really doesn't bother me, other than if I crash in those first 10-15 minutes. I bought the XL, and they fit tight. I tried on the L, and there's no way I could have worn those. So I know it's not a size issue.

In my opinion, that rubber material at the top should be about twice as thick as it is so that it grips better and prevents slipping. Or, as you've suggested, maybe it's not as grippy as the previous models. Whatever the case, that's my only complaint about them.

For XC, they've worked well, and they've already saved me on a few minor crashes. On days of more enduro type riding, I'm going to find some beefier knee pads.

The issue is...when you do go down, the odds are the pads are going to twist. They will hopefully save you on that initial hit, but anything subsequent, and they're probably not going to help much. No doubt they are infinitely better than nothing, and I don't miss the occasional pedal on shin whack.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    After researching a bit online about these pads I ran into some of the same ideas you note. One is warming the pads up, so now I put them on an hour before the ride and wear them while driving to the ride location. Second I shaved my leg hair down where the rubberized strip rides, and third adding a little moisture does make them tacky. After doing these things I found they only slipped down much like you said during the first mile or so of riding, after that I found myself them only a few times during a 15 mile ride.

But clearly these pads are not as good as the prior version I had so clearly they have changed their manufacturing process or materials. I love the elbow pads but I'm still looking for replacement knee pads.

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    Just spit on the silicon line and it should be ok.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Abagrizzli View Post
    Just spit on the silicon line and it should be ok.
    Sir, I'm not sure you're aware of this, but this is a mountain biking forum. Spitting on it is not the answer to everything.

I actually tried putting a little water on it from my hydro pak, and it didn't work. Not sure why. I think it's a combination of warming up the silicon strip and perspiration.

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    Water won't work, you have to actually spit. The saliva has somewhat goowi consistency and does not immediately evaporate as water. And also the spit sticks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I'll take your word for it. That does strike me as something the Transition guys would actually put on the instructions for something.

"If your pads are slipping down, spit on 'em."

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5