Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 113

Thread: G-Form Pads

  1. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    38
    i have a pair knee/elbow for a month now to, elbow pads seem fine but the knee does bunch and find my self at times pulling the bottom back down. The top seems to stay, but i do wear pants over them which might be the problem, just wish the bottom of the knee pads had the same sticky grip stuff the top part does to hold them in place or like my bike shorts got little bumps to keep them in place on your leg.
    I have had a crash on the elbow and knee my elbow came up the same as the dude above posted seem liked it went thou it but i could still ride and the lycria material did rip on me thou and made a hole.. so had to get my GF to patch it and works fine now, knee one i did on a pump track not sure what my knee it wasn't nothing around but its just sore n stiff atm with no marks at all.
    But they do need to design it better to stop the bunching my tendons do get a bit red n sore from the bunching if i dont pull the pads back down.

  2. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation: masterofnone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,126
    What would you guys think about wearing them for all mountain/freeride lite, like a spill on rocky terrain? I'm interested in a set of flexible knee and elbow pads that I could wear all day pedaling up and down, in hot weather as well as protection for the obvious. I wear hard shell pads for real DH but they're too much everywhere else, sooner or later a digger in my soft shells and my kneecaps and elbows will be f****d. I don't mind cuts and scrapes, that's only minor discomfort, broken bones are all I care about. If the video is any indication it looks like these would be a good compromise between hard shell and soft pads. Sorry if this has been asked to death.

  3. #78
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dgage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    495
    I've been riding wearing the G-form knee pads for over two years now. I've put about 250 rides on them and have crashed several times with no knee injuries. I did noticed on one of the pads the stitching was starting to unravel a bit. I emailed the company to see if this was a warranty item as they do offer a life time warranty. With-in minutes they sent me a message saying yes it is and then emailed me a UPS label to return them with.
    Now that's customer service!!
    Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML

  4. #79
    I'm a "she".
    Reputation: mudworm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    919
    Saw someone wear them yesterday on the trails and a Google search on the products led me to this thread. Very reassuring to read all the positive feedbacks. Just ordered a set (elbow and knee) from XSportsProtective, which is currently doing a $20 off $100 promotion (had to add a small bike light to pad). Hope they do not disappoint!
    ▁▂▃▄▅▆ Inch by inch, I will get there...
    ride reports | tracks | photos
    (❁◡`❁) Zenning...

  5. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    420
    Quote Originally Posted by masterofnone View Post
    What would you guys think about wearing them for all mountain/freeride lite, like a spill on rocky terrain? I'm interested in a set of flexible knee and elbow pads that I could wear all day pedaling up and down, in hot weather as well as protection for the obvious. I wear hard shell pads for real DH but they're too much everywhere else, sooner or later a digger in my soft shells and my kneecaps and elbows will be f****d. I don't mind cuts and scrapes, that's only minor discomfort, broken bones are all I care about. If the video is any indication it looks like these would be a good compromise between hard shell and soft pads. Sorry if this has been asked to death.
    I'd really recommend the Fox Launch Pros for that use - I love them. I haven't tried the G-Forms yet, and hope to soon, just to see what the buzz is about. I'd suggest getting them both and trying them out. Get the Foxes at Backcountry.com for hassle-free returns, if you want.

  6. #81
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fondoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    250
    thanks for everyones feedback, i placed an order on jensonusa
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2013 Cannonale Jekyll 3 M

  7. #82
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ryan@certifiedbikeparts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5
    After being on crutches and off my bike for a few weeks after a spill landed my knee on a rock I'm picking some of these up. Most of the armor out there looks too serious for the XC trails we ride here in Texas but these seem like they are the right happy-medium.

  8. #83
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ryan@certifiedbikeparts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5
    I picked up my knee pads on Sunday and went for a ride. I did about 12 miles and found the pads to be extremely comfortable, and I managed to test them out immediately. I took a tech section a little poorly and fell off my bike planting my knee cap right on a rock. This is exactly the maneuver that took me off my bike for 3 weeks before but this time I felt a little soreness but the knee pads saved me from any permanent damage.

    I'm a believer...I have more confidence to try new things with these pads on and they certainly will save me from injuries.

  9. #84
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fondoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    250
    my knee and elbow pads arrived yesterday from jensonusa. they were backed ordered for weeks. im taking a day off from work to test them on a trail tomorrow.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2013 Cannonale Jekyll 3 M

  10. #85
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3
    Just registered for this question :

    Can someone please measure there pads in the middle at the thickest point and tell me how thick the impact material is (not including the thickness of the fabric to which it is attached)? I need to know which thickness of material I need to try and buy.

    Reason:

    I'm planning on making a protective garment for myself since there is no product on the market for it and companies aren't willing to do a custom project. Thanks!

  11. #86
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Sarguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    814
    Quote Originally Posted by DuncR6 View Post
    Just registered for this question :

    Can someone please measure there pads in the middle at the thickest point and tell me how thick the impact material is (not including the thickness of the fabric to which it is attached)? I need to know which thickness of material I need to try and buy.

    Reason:

    I'm planning on making a protective garment for myself since there is no product on the market for it and companies aren't willing to do a custom project. Thanks!
    Maybe 3/8". The material it is on is spandex-like, so there is no real thickness to it. If you want it in millimeters, I'll measure it next time I'm at my truck. Back to work now, management is lurking.
    2010 Trek Rumblefish
    2013 Trek Cobia

  12. #87
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarguy View Post
    Maybe 3/8". The material it is on is spandex-like, so there is no real thickness to it. If you want it in millimeters, I'll measure it next time I'm at my truck. Back to work now, management is lurking.
    When you have time and can measure in millimeters that would be perfect since they sell it in varying mm thicknesses. I'm think it's the 6mm version.

  13. #88
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Sarguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    814
    Quote Originally Posted by DuncR6 View Post
    When you have time and can measure in millimeters that would be perfect since they sell it in varying mm thicknesses. I'm think it's the 6mm version.
    OK just for you I left my cozy office and went out in the sleet to my truck and measured my G-Form knee pads. The thickest part is the circular center on top of the knee cap and it measures 8 mm without the attached cloth. All other pad segments were slightly less. Hope this helps.
    2010 Trek Rumblefish
    2013 Trek Cobia

  14. #89
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarguy View Post
    OK just for you I left my cozy office and went out in the sleet to my truck and measured my G-Form knee pads. The thickest part is the circular center on top of the knee cap and it measures 8 mm without the attached cloth. All other pad segments were slightly less. Hope this helps.
    Thank you! I'll be sure post back to show the final product.

  15. #90
    mtbr member
    Reputation: markymark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    460
    I got some XXXL G Form Knee pads about 6 months ago. They are the only knee pad of any brand that come in my size, every single other brand, bar none, is too small. I have tried them all believe me.. Wear them on every ride, don't even know they are there. Even in high 30's celsius weather here.

    Yesterday went OTB and landed on my left knee and shoulder down a rocky slope, knee doesn't have a scratch, amazing stuff. Pads are fine. Paid for themselves right there.
    Last edited by markymark; 01-16-2013 at 06:26 PM.

  16. #91
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ArionRemedy8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    15
    I just got my G Form knee pads today and am currently wearing them around. They're super comfortable, but at first "test" I'm not exactly impressed. The first thing I did after putting them on was do the typical drop down onto my knees test and I can definitely feel the impact and it's pretty close to being painful. They look good and they feel good...I can already tell they'll be great for pedaling. But as for their intended purpose of protection...? I'm already skeptical and I haven't even been out on the trail yet.

  17. #92
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ArionRemedy8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    15
    Sizing is also goofy too. I'm 5'8", 140 pounds and wear smalls and extra smalls in all my clothing. Had to order XL in the knee pads and they're definitely on the snug side, though I'm sure they'll loosen up with riding! Pretty sure smalls and mediums may as well be labeled as kids pads.

  18. #93
    Ride in heat
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    143
    have them over a year now - elbow and knee pads. extremely comfortable, unnoticeable while pedaling. though haven't test them in a crash. it is a must have product for hot weather conditions and for those, who don't like wear protection, 'cos it bothers.

  19. #94
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    451
    I have a set I wear while long distance skateboarding and they seem to work OK, but have heard from some other riders that you may still get a bit of a bump and some road rash in a crash on pavement. What I do with mine now is to put on neoprene sleeves under the g-form pads. So a set of elbow sleeves on the arms and some neoprene knee supports on the legs. I have fallen once with that setup and hit the ground, rolled and got right back up. I usually know what part of my body hit the ground as it'll hurt a bit but with the neoprene + g-form I did not feel a thing.

  20. #95
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,341
    Quote Originally Posted by ArionRemedy8 View Post
    I just got my G Form knee pads today and am currently wearing them around. They're super comfortable, but at first "test" I'm not exactly impressed. The first thing I did after putting them on was do the typical drop down onto my knees test and I can definitely feel the impact and it's pretty close to being painful. They look good and they feel good...I can already tell they'll be great for pedaling. But as for their intended purpose of protection...? I'm already skeptical and I haven't even been out on the trail yet.
    Do a comparison with and without the pads . . . let us know what you think then.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

  21. #96
    Undercaffienated
    Reputation: hmorsi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    281
    I have had my G-form knee pads since August and have been using them almost exclusively (I have a pair of Race Face pads for DH /park riding). I went over the bars last weekend and landed on my right knee and arm first on some nasty rocks. This was the G-form's first real test and they definitely did their job well. No injuries. Great pads for XC and trail riding.

    Sent from my S3 using Tapatalk 2

  22. #97
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    97
    Just bought a pair. XL which was the size that I measured out to. I'm surprised at how tight top thigh was for an XL. I would normally wear a L to medium if I want it tight. I was kinda bummed that it was more of a support type sleeve. A little loose over the knee for me, but I wouldn't want to go down to large because it's so tight on my thigh. They were light and comfy on a ride. No falls, 3 months post ACL surgery so I don't plan on tough rides for a while. The knee pads are very flexible.

  23. #98
    I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Reputation: Zachariah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,450
    They work as described, but the material frays at the stitching. Consider them armored knee warmers. Tuck the upper part inside the chamois and they stay up fine.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

  24. #99
    Resident Gear Head
    Reputation: provin1327's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    383
    Just went out on a quick night ride with a pair of G Form Pro X knee pads. I like them, they're comfy, stay in place, and after a few minutes I don't even notice they are on. They are definitely on the light side of protection but what you give up in protection you gain in comfort. I didn't fall so I didn't get much of a test on the padding but I did smack them with a rock and didn't feel a thing. I measured right in the middle of the large measurements and the large fits me pretty well. Feels tight at first but they settle in.
    2 Hands Working Do More Than 1000 Hands Praying

  25. #100
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Burt4x4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,244
    When you get a flat tire or just need to put a knee or two on the ground it's no worries..

    At the end of the ride I remove them carfully not to pre-tear the thin spandex, peal them off like a sock being turned inside out. Toss them in the pool for a few..walla all clean ready to ride! heheee
    RIDE!!
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •