Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: G-Form Pads

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by brankulo View Post
    got my knee pads today. in the end i went with 2xl. the fit is nice, not too loose not too tight. havent ridden them yet though. can feel some bunching at the back of the knee, but until i ride in them i cant tell if it is going to bother me. if it does i am thinking of cutting round opening and have my wife finish the edge of it somehow.
    Post up if you do that. I was thinking the same thing.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    they now have padded shorts and shirt
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

mtbr member
    Can anyone tell me if the fit is like knee warmers? I'm liking the look of these and I'm hoping the fit and feel is similar, which means I'll forget it's even there.
    Yeti SB-66 Carbon

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by Naturally Aspirated View Post
    Can anyone tell me if the fit is like knee warmers? I'm liking the look of these and I'm hoping the fit and feel is similar, which means I'll forget it's even there.
    Not entirely sure what you mean, but my elbow pads also serve as arm warmers on cooler night rides. I forget that I'm wearing them for sure . . . the knee pads are similar, but they do then to bunch behind the knee if worn through lots of pedaling (e.g., climbing). If you wore them just on the descent, you wouldn't have this issue. I can honestly say they really are great, great pads . . .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Naturally Aspirated View Post
    Just got mine.
    The material is stretchy. It's the same as padded cycling shorts ... spandex?
    The top cuff has this grippy silicone band. I feel like an ugly lingerie model.

Will report back after some pedaling.
    Last edited by client_9; 02-27-2012 at 09:49 PM.

GiG
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Great pads. I have used them the whole winter and they look like new. Yesterday i also crashed with them, so i decided to post a "relevant" review. I hit my knee and elbow on a rock after a pretty nasty endo and i must say i felt the hit, but the pads really worked well and absorbed the impact almost completely. I ended up with a bit of scratching on the pads and the hands, but it could have been much much worse. Overall, then, great pads with effective protection.
    I tend to agree on the issues behind the knee for long pedaling sessions though ... they should probably carve a hole in the fabric just behind the knee to solve the issue i guess.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Yellow for my knees, black for my elbows. I got the knee pads before black was out.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?34ujvy

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    So would these be good for DH? I'm not an extreme or anything like that. It sounds like the protection from people posting about spills is pretty good.

Bob

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rborelli View Post
    So would these be good for DH? I'm not an extreme or anything like that. It sounds like the protection from people posting about spills is pretty good.

Bob
    These are not what I would buy for DH, like park riding. I got then cuz I can stuff them in my pack, climb the Mtn and put them on for going down.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?oqnrev

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by rborelli View Post

Bob
    Negative. These would be inadequate for DH riding. These are really for aggressive trail or light AM riding at most, but are ideally suited trail riding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    First ride on them today. Mixed reaction.
    They are light 5.3 oz for the pair of size L.
    Fit fine, and were relatively comfortable.
    For what they are, they seems fine, and I didn't mind wearing them and had forgotten about them more or less by the end of the 3hr ride.
    What I don't like about the design is that they are not articulated. Every other kneepad I have had (for mtb or other sports) has a built in bend/flex to it, so it cups the knee naturally in the bent position (i.e. the position you'd most likely be in when crashing). These are flat, and seem to count on the scoring in the design to let them wrap around the knee. I found they did not do that so well for me off the bat, and while they were snug and seemed like htey would stay put, they don't cup around the bent knee that well for me, with parts of the pad suspended off the patella cap.
    Re-doing the articulation would be a major design improvmemnt, in my opinion.
    Aside from that, so far so good, and will post more impressions later.

mtbr member
    Is the price listed on the G-Form website for a pair of pads or for 1 pad?
    Happy Trails
    Jolly

mtbr member
    Pair.
    2010 Trek Rumblefish
    2013 Trek Cobia

Threading freely...
    Side note about the G-Form: The company's costumer service is phenomenal. You can buy and be confident that if the pads rip or don't fit right you'll get an exchange or a refund.
    Threading lightly and respectfully wherever I want....

mtbr member
    Thanks! Just wanted to be sure.
    Happy Trails
    Jolly

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

First crash in G Form Elbow and Knee pads.

Did a low speed endo on a 80 degree 6 foot drop. Landed sliding on left forearm. The elbow pad slid some and sustained abrasions to forearm. The knee pad stayed in place but still sustained abrasions where it wasnt padded. No damage to the pads. Was a little disappointed in the amount of abrasions but maybe it could've been worse. EVS Wrister gloves worked perfect. No abrasions on hand or wrist.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails G-Form Pads-2012-04-15_15-48-40_467.jpg  

G-Form Pads-2012-04-15_16-01-25_364.jpg  

G-Form Pads-2012-04-15_16-09-57_544.jpg  

G-Form Pads-2012-04-15_16-38-30_620.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I mean those aren't technically "keep you off the trail" injuries but I would expect those G force pads to protect better than that. I still don't trust the design - They really should have put more thought into the sleeve design. I may end up picking up a pair of the Kali ones...they are DH ready but seem like they wouldn't bother me too much for XC

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Domdog31 View Post
    I mean those aren't technically "keep you off the trail" injuries but I would expect those G force pads to protect better than that. I still don't trust the design - They really should have put more thought into the sleeve design. I may end up picking up a pair of the Kali ones...they are DH ready but seem like they wouldn't bother me too much for XC
    ---------------------
    Yeah those abrasions didnt keep me off the bike any but in the future Ill probably go with hard shell elbows and keep the G Form knees. I really like the flex in them. Havnt had the bunching problem others have mentioned.

Threading freely...
    The question is, Would you be wearing pads at all if it weren't G-Forms? In my case, I wouldn't most of the time, and mild abrasions is better than a raw or cracked knee/elbow. They have saved me a few times, when anything heavier and bulkier would simply have stayed home. It's all a compromise. You look pretty fine to me after falling six feet--certainly a lot better than if you weren't wearing pads.
    Threading lightly and respectfully wherever I want....

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by polymathic View Post
    The question is, Would you be wearing pads at all if it weren't G-Forms? In my case, I wouldn't most of the time, and mild abrasions is better than a raw or cracked knee/elbow. They have saved me a few times, when anything heavier and bulkier would simply have stayed home. It's all a compromise. You look pretty fine to me after falling six feet--certainly a lot better than if you weren't wearing pads.
    ---------------------------------
    Yeah Id still be wearing pads if they weren't G Form but they would probably be a lot more constrictive as with the G Forms I dont even notice they're on. Its all a compromise is exactly right what you said. Tradeoff between freedom of movement and max protect. I can deal with it and Ill certainly keep wearing them . I dont mean to say the pads are no good by posting, but as far as the elbow goes, a lower velcro wrap would probably keep it from sliding and even a long sleeve jersey over them might help.

Viva la Vida!
    They have them in black, they are washable, they are light and comfy and the most important point they DO PROTECT YOU!
    Customer Service and guarantee are great.

I used to always wear my hardshell Lizard skins or POC's and I still do on reallly technical sharp rock terrain but for XC there's nothing better.

And the price is right as well.
    If you are reading this just go buy some.
    We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    We grow old because we stop playing

Viva la Vida!
    Quote Originally Posted by client_9 View Post
    Just got mine.
    The material is stretchy.... I feel like an ugly lingerie model.
    Will report back after some pedaling.
    It seems like a personal problem..
    We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    We grow old because we stop playing

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Love my g-form knee and elbow pads. Replaced 3 sets (bike, skate and snowboard) with one.

Spice
    Dec 2008
    I bought mine for a downhill race at Rheola (first one, and I wont be doing them often, so I wanted something I could use on the trails as well).
    They got put to the test! They did slip on fast crashes, resulting in cut knee's, but I would've been far far far worse off without them.
    They absorbed large impacts very well, which would have otherwise seen me with bruising and a stiff knee for a fair while, and made hitting the ground pretty painless.
    I wouldnt want to pedal in them all day, but as far as putting them in a bag for the pedal up and putting them on before the descent theyre perfect. They weight next to nothing and pack away very small.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Just got mine in - sprained my wrist yesterday so its gonna be a few days before I can test them out....but they really are more solid then I expected them to be. They will clearly protect on a fall....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast