Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: G-Form Pads

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I think its f*in brilliant and want the full body armor as soon as it is available! The next thing we need is an all mount oriented ultra light and well vented full face helmet---- anyone?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have both the elbow and knee pads. They generally stay in place, but I'm finding the knee pads bunch up behind the knee. Perhaps they need some rubber grip to keep them on the calf better. Other than that, I really like them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Bump from the dead.......

Sizing wise, people say to go up a size from what they say- I am on the bubble:

Elbow 12"

G-Form Sizing

XL
    11.5 - 12.5

2XL
    12.5 - 15.5

Knee 17.5"

G-Form Sizing:

2XL
    16.5 - 18.0

3XL
    18.0 - 20.0

I was thinking ordering 3xl legs, 2xl elbows.

I'm a clyde, 6' 265lbs....can anyone weigh in on their experiences?

mtbr member
    I just got a pair of kneepads a month ago. I went with exact measured size and they fit perfect; however, I'm a light weight.
    2010 Trek Rumblefish
    2013 Trek Cobia

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    5'6" 165lbs here. I usually use medium arm/leg pads. For the GForm, I got large. I like the arm pads more than the leg. I find the leg pads bunch up behind the knees a little.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    As far as the padding and 'all day' comfort, they have huge potential. Don't really notice them.

My beef is the crappy knee sock. I find the heavy seam up the back and the shape cause some bunching behind the knee.

I may transplant the pad on to a short pair of knee warmers. For the price, definitely worth getting.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I would go for the launch pro's, but I dont think my fat legs would even fit in the big ones.......

Huffy Rider
    I found the sizing to be spot on for me....don't get any knee bunch either.

mtbr member
    I think the sizing only works if you are thin and without a lot of muscle mass. The sleeves are not articulated, and don't take into account that your calves might be bigger in circumference than your knee cap. It's basically just a tube that gets narrower at the bottom. I have big calves and thighs and couldn't even get the recommended size on my leg. I had to go up two full sizes, and then the fabric behind the knee is loose and bunches up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FlavC View Post
    I think the sizing only works if you are thin and without a lot of muscle mass. The sleeves are not articulated, and don't take into account that your calves might be bigger in circumference than your knee cap. It's basically just a tube that gets narrower at the bottom. I have big calves and thighs and couldn't even get the recommended size on my leg. I had to go up two full sizes, and then the fabric behind the knee is loose and bunches up.
    I would have to agree with you. I don't know why they don't size these pads like traditional knee warmers. I just got my pads yesterday, went with a large based on knee circumference and the top cuff slides down to top of knee due to being too tight on the thigh and bunches in back as well and I don't even have big thighs. I need at least a size up, don't know why they make them so small at the ends. I put the knee pads on my elbow and they fit much better there, go figure.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    i am about to pull trigger on knee pads but these sizing issues got me worried. i have 15.5" around my knee which puts me right between L and XL. my thigh is 23" around in the middle of its length. wander what size people with similar sizing got.
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

mtbr member
    I had the same dilemma. I was between M and L. Went with large because I knew Iíd be pulling them on over Under Armour pants. Interestingly, I found that they didnít stretch out and can still fit now comfortably on bare legs. Your call.
    2010 Trek Rumblefish
    2013 Trek Cobia

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brankulo View Post
    i am about to pull trigger on knee pads but these sizing issues got me worried. i have 15.5" around my knee which puts me right between L and XL. my thigh is 23" around in the middle of its length. wander what size people with similar sizing got.
    14.5 around the knee, 21.5 thigh. Needed XL.

b a n n e d
    I had the same sizing concerns and emailed G-Form directly and they recommended going up a size. They also said though that if I'm not happy with the fit to email them and they will exchange, no questions asked.

I've been riding these for about a month now and am very happy with them. These really are the best trail riding pads I've worn yet. I'd not rock these on a DH course, but for AM riding, they are great.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    yeah, i got same email from g-form. going with xl
    HuRa
    website facebook

mtbr member
    On sizing...I originally ordered the large based on my knee circumference (14.75 left and 15.25" right)and the pads over the knee cap fits nicely, but the sock is a bit tight on lower thigh and calf. Contacted G-Form and they sent me out a pair of XL to try and pads/sock is longer. Fits thigh and calf a little better, but bunches behind the knee a little more due to extra length and the padding is a little loose over the knee.

What to do...go with the ideal fit of padding over the actual knee with tight fitting and shortish sock or longer sock with slightly better fit on leg, but a little more bunchy benhind the knee and not ideal fit of padding over the knee? Any suggestions? Thx if so.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Having it super tight at the top of the calf is what keeps them in place.

Even though mine are tight at the top too, the sock slips down, but the pad stays in the right place.

Huffy Rider
    They give just a little over time on the calf area, but you want them tight so they don't move. Maybe this is why have not had any uncomfortable experiences with mine. I would say stay with the large.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motochick View Post
    They give just a little over time on the calf area, but you want them tight so they don't move. Maybe this is why have not had any uncomfortable experiences with mine. I would say stay with the large.
    Thanks MC, think I am going to stick with the the large as well, just based on the fact that they are not as long as the XL (will be some cooler in summer) and the padding fits over the actual knee cap a bit better, even though it is pretty tight everywhere else.
    Ride On!

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    The g-form rep was at outerbike demoing their pads, many riders wore them during demo rides and I heard only positive comments. The rep was wearing the elbow pad while talking it up pretty good. He had a hammer that he hit his elbow with to prove it wasn't just hype. There were several people around and I suggested that he should let me hit his elbow with the hammer to truely prove their effectiveness... and he did! I whacked him good twice, and he seemed to be fine. It would have hurt like heck without the pad I am sure of that.

Threading freely...
    I have a pair of the G-Form knee pads. I had to size up to large--probably because avid cyclists have bony knees and muscular thighs/calves? As others have said, ideally the opening should be a bit wider, while keeping the knee section a bit tighter. This said, they are relatively comfortable the first two hours, but thereafter I am keenly aware of their presence. I tend to slide them down on my calves like shin guards on long uphills; that provides relief from the bunching behind the knee issue others have mentioned.

The best part, though, is that they work very well for protection, especially in such a tiny and light package. I'd never be carrying heavy pads with me on long rides, but these I always pack (and usually wear). I just took a nasty spill at 25mph, and my knees are intact, and so are the pads even though there was a serious impact and slide on gravelly dirt. I wasn't wearing elbow pads, sadly. My elbow is one nasty raw bit. I have elbow pads on order now.

I think that a great benefit of the G-Form pads is that you'll be wearing them on rides where you'd leave your other protection home. And they certainly offer real protection.
    Threading lightly and respectfully wherever I want....

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I've owned the knees for several months. By far the best and most comfortable pads I've ever had. I get very slight bunching behind the knee, but I only notice it for a couple of minutes.

In all fairness, these pads are made for a variety of pastimes/hobbies/sports. Most of those other groups don't tend to develop the weird big calf/bony knee/big quad build that cyclists do. It would be cool to have MTB-specific ones built that take this into account, but I'm still extremely pleased with mine.

pin it
    We recently purchased the knee pads for the both of us. We ride year round on technical trails and currently the trails are covered with snow and ice. The appeal was to be able to wear them under clothing. I wont wear them for dh (prefering my heavy duty Kyle Straits)
    Going to try them out today

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Just pushed the button on a pair of these in black, based on the information you guys had posted above thanks now to see how long they take to get to Australia?

mtbr member
    got my knee pads today. in the end i went with 2xl. the fit is nice, not too loose not too tight. havent ridden them yet though. can feel some bunching at the back of the knee, but until i ride in them i cant tell if it is going to bother me. if it does i am thinking of cutting round opening and have my wife finish the edge of it somehow.
    HuRa
    website facebook

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast