The future for all helmets?

New helmet design for football.

Graphics.

I could see it for skiing, but what about cycling? Is there enough room between the vents to add the shock absorbers? Weight? Or is the "one hit and replace" theory good enough for cycling helmets?

Ed
    Last edited by edemtbs; 10-27-2007 at 09:37 AM.

Rolling
    Technically I think the shock absorbers are called air "dashpots"

For bike helmets, one could imagine a toned down versions but it's a viable idea. The whole idea is to come up with something that critically damps the deceleration over the period of impact. Unfortunately the faster you go, the more time you need to decelerate and ideally a thicker device is required.
    Last edited by lidarman; 10-28-2007 at 10:58 AM.

old skool newbie

things that make you go hmmm

Interesting idea, although I'm not sure how the bike version would go. The outer shell would have to be hard/heavy enough to transfer the impact to the shock absorbers without cracking from the rock it just hit. Perhaps Lidarman and I may need more scientific and product tested evidence.
    Do you think if you start off at Harvard level intellegence and sustain numerous concussions that you end up at community college level?

Stiff yet compliant
    I'm sure the idea could be used in bicycle helmets but it would probably increase weight quite a bit.
    I was always under the impression that we tolerate the one hit (rigid foam) design because it allows for the lightweight construction desired in bicycling equipment.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by Moustache rider
    I'm sure the idea could be used in bicycle helmets but it would probably increase weight quite a bit.
    I was always under the impression that we tolerate the one hit (rigid foam) design because it allows for the lightweight construction desired in bicycling equipment.
    Indeed. In the bike world, it's unlikely to incur a hit, while in the football world, it's routine. Same with skating. Thus, hard shells are needed.

Perhaps a middle-ground design for cycling would work. A very flexible bike helmet with cells that sorta act like airbags. And the end result might approach the first bike helmet using the leather pads....

Too busy looking good
    Very interesting, I'll bet it could happen. I predict a patent lawsuit filed by Reebok against Bell after Bell starts using this technology in their helmets and includes a built in pump to adjust air pressure, for "customized fit and feel"

Stiff yet compliant
    Quote Originally Posted by HOser
    Very interesting, I'll bet it could happen. I predict a patent lawsuit filed by Reebok against Bell after Bell starts using this technology in their helmets and includes a built in pump to adjust air pressure, for "customized fit and feel"
    Bell has already produced a pump up helmet. No lawsuits as they licensed the pump from Reebok.
    I bought one back around 1992 I think. The fit wasn't really any better than you got with a conventional helmet but I was a teenager and thought it looked cool.
    I looked through my junk box and found the bladder (still holds air), must have thrown the helmet away.

Members who have read this thread: 0