Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Full face, well ventilated & light weight helmet

Hello all,
    I know there are various threads about full face helmets...
    Many people out there want to enjoy the protection of a full face helmet when they're hitting the trails all day, without being weighed down, or heated up, and still have some money left over after they buy a full face helmet.

My idea was a concise thread, purely for suggestions, spec's and idea's on helmets for all those out there searching for a suitable full face helmet.

I mean, lets face it, the main criteria are probably;
    - PRICE and AVAILABILITY
    - WEIGHT
    - VENTILATION
    - SAFETY
    - and a picture/link if possible for how it LOOKS.

So perhaps suggestions could be in the form of a picture of the helmet model, with any spec's you have/can find, to create one thread purely information based for the comparison of light, well ventilated full faced helmets for those who want to ride trails all day, with the protection of a full face.
    Thanks!
    ...and let me know if you have any ideas about this thread.
    Last edited by The Collective; 07-20-2012 at 05:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Urge Archi-Enduro

urge archi-enduro helmet: compare prices and read reviews - Bing Shopping

I have one and like it a lot. Vents well but as should be expected, not as cool in extremely hot weather as my Fox Flux. Bought mine on sale at HuknRoll for $155
    Last edited by stumpbumper; 07-20-2012 at 08:09 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Looking into the Specialized Deviant right now. Got quoted a price of $140 at my local shop.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    There are other factors to consider when it comes to one of the most important saftey pieces you buy for riding. The saftey standard the helmet meets is an important factor. Then also much less important, but something take into consideration by many people is the graphics of the helmet.

There is a somewhat new saftey standard for full face bicycle helmets, the DH Bicycle Standard or ASTM F1952.

So for my factors of lightweight, meeting the DH saftey standard and working well with a Leatt I chose the new TLD D3. Its not cheap, but you cant get all the good criteria in a helmet at much lower price points, youre going to be sacrificing somewhere.

Possibly take a look at the 661 bicycle helmets. They do NOT currently meet the DH saftey standard, but they have always been light (even the non carbon ones) and comfortable. And they are pretty cheap.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    In reading OP's description of a full-face helmet, I got the impression he was referring to those designed for general trail riding and not downhill racing.

The Urge Archi-Enduro I kicked off his thread with is lighter and better ventilated than most full-face helmets designed for downhilling, but it does not offer the same level of protection. It does, however, offer much more protection than a standard MTB helmet for general trail riding which is what I do.

Just wanted to clarify.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Cratoni Shakedown.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IntenseMack10 View Post
    There are other factors to consider when it comes to one of the most important saftey pieces you buy for riding. The saftey standard the helmet meets is an important factor. Then also much less important, but something take into consideration by many people is the graphics of the helmet.

There is a somewhat new saftey standard for full face bicycle helmets, the DH Bicycle Standard or ASTM F1952.

So for my factors of lightweight, meeting the DH saftey standard and working well with a Leatt I chose the new TLD D3. Its not cheap, but you cant get all the good criteria in a helmet at much lower price points, youre going to be sacrificing somewhere.

Possibly take a look at the 661 bicycle helmets. They do NOT currently meet the DH saftey standard, but they have always been light (even the non carbon ones) and comfortable. And they are pretty cheap.
    I'll add safety in there then, but as this site has members from many different parts of the world, I was unsure how we could compare safety ratings, as they are often called different things, and mean different things between countries. Ideas?

As for the graphics, that was why I said to add a picture!

And yes, the idea was for trail riders who want a full face helmet, hence the weight and ventilation criteria, as full DH helmets are often hot and a little heavy to have on all day on the tracks.
    Thanks for the feedback!

mtbr member
    I have a Urge Down-o-Matic...I like it alot..it's lighter (Weight: 966 g) than the previous helmet I wore (A Mad Max II the carbon fiber one)....Urge Down-O-Matic Helmet at Price Point
    We Can't Stop Here...This Is Bat Country.
    Out Of Step.

mtbr member
    Has anyone tried the 661 Comp Shifted 2012?

Vitamin Bike Added
    Quote Originally Posted by The Collective View Post
    Yes, I own a medium in white. Well ventilated, light, strong, cheap. Totally a win.
    Keep the rubber side down

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have the comp shifted as well. Fairly well vented for a FF and cheap. I got it as an entry into FF helmets and now I wear it all the time unless its 90 deg or more.

Uly
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I have an Urge Archi-Enduro. After seeing a thread about how the chin bar collapsed after a crash, I went and got a Spec. Deviant II. The chin bar on it is much more sturdy than the flexy one on the Archi-enduro.

The Dev. II is a bit heavier than the ArchiE, but it did not bother me at all.

Took the Dev II for a three hour ride in 80ish degree weather today. I must say that the ventilation and air flow without the cheek pads installed is much much better than the ArchiE which I also rode without the cheek pads installed. The Dev II doesn't have a gangsta pad like the ArchiE, so there was profuse sweat running down my face, but I think that the ability to remove the liner for easy washing and the better air flow made up for that.

Over all, I would have to say that the Dev II is the better option of the two.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    [QUOTE=Uly;9521491]I have an Urge Archi-Enduro. After seeing a thread about how the chin bar collapsed after a crash, I went and got a Spec. Deviant II. The chin bar on it is much more sturdy than the flexy one on the Archi-enduro.

Which thread on the Archi-Enduro are you referring to? In the one I saw, the poster said nothing about the chin bar collapsing. Seems like he said he landed on a stick and its end made its way over the chin guard and into his face. I recall he also stated that the chin guard had a tendency to "scoop" debris into his face when he faceplanted. Sounds to me like the same could happen with any FF helmet. Of course, you and I may have been looking at two different threads. If we are, I'd like to see the one you saw?? Thanks .

Uphill? What's that
    The Kali durgana is lite and has good venting. The Bell drop is also a good helmet for a good price it also meets the new DH safety rating. I would not recommend anything from Urge. I own a urge downomatic and I can honestly say that it is by far the worst helmet I have ever owned.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Warner2012 View Post
    The Archi-Enduro is a great helmet for Enduro type riding. Common sense tells you the Archi Enduro isn't going to protect you as a full DH helmet would, and you shouldn't be using it for full DH runs. I would limit the Archi Enduro to the high speed rocky rutty technical runs. It's going to give you the face and jaw protection you need, while allowing you to breathe easy due to the reduced chin bar.
    Thanks.

That's basically what I said about the Archi-Enduro in my clarification in post No. 5 above. I use mine for general riding on trails that are a bit technical and for that I think it is great.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Just bought the Troy Lee Designs D3 Pinstripe helmet and while it's pricey (I never thought I'd actually spend that much on a helmet), I have to say it's pretty darn sweet. The graphics are killer, it fits really well on my large head, the nose/mouth guard part doesn't sit right up on my nose, and it gives you a good viewing angle when wearing it. The safety specs are good and it's light. I know that the price is not right for everyone but I splurged. I like that the pads can come out for cleaning too. In some of the cheaper helmets you couldn't do that.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    If you're going to be doing a lot of pedalling, then the Specialized Deviant is the way to go. very well ventilated and will take some decent hits. I finally retired mine after hitting my head a third time in a crash. I really should've replaced it after the 1st crash, but I kept riding with it. I had a small crash the other day and my head hit the ground, but definitely not hard. I decided it was time to replace it.

I replaced it with an Urge Down-o-matic and the difference in ventilation is night and day. Headed uphill for the foreseeable 5 or more minutes? off it goes. If i'm going to trail riding and mostly keeping my wheels in the dirt, I'll reach for my Giro Feature helmet. More coverage in the back than the roadie\xc style helmets, but vents better than a skate lid.

-joel

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Ive been very happy with my Giro Remedy. Its not the lightest 1080g. Doesnt vent as well as some, but good enough. Its very comfortable, and I like the way it looks. Price was reasonable. I think I paid $120. Its lighter, and not as hot as my old army helmet so im happy to live with it. Carbon Fiber ones are available on sale cheaper than the regular ones but never in my size(M).

But when its 105 out, and 90+ humity. I like my Giro Feature, not a full face, and not as cool as some but i like the extra protection.

No Stranger to danger....
    Quote Originally Posted by The Collective View Post
    great helmet mate, i own one, its light, a nice bit of space to breath around the mouth, ventilated well, i have a big head n got the l/xl n it fits like a glove, you cant go wrong with one, not to mention they look great as well, cheers

mtbr member
    Tone's... what size is your head? I am 23" (58.5cm). I am on the fence regarding size choice... large or XL.
    Is the 661 Comp Shifted a good choice for XC riding? I don't downhill, but I want face coverage due to many close calls. I want super light with decent coverage.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacons View Post
    Tone's... what size is your head? I am 23" (58.5cm). I am on the fence regarding size choice... large or XL.
    Is the 661 Comp Shifted a good choice for XC riding? I don't downhill, but I want face coverage due to many close calls. I want super light with decent coverage.
    In the same boat as you. Did you decide on a FF for XC?

mtbr member
    So far i am very pleased with my new Devient for xc and a little DH in south Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacons View Post
    So sorry bacons, this thread slipped my net somehow, ive got a good size head of 60cm, i got the l/xl and it fits great, a bit snug fit but i have a long platt of hair at the back, i think the XL is the way to go for you, the L might be too snug, cheers mate, PM me if you need.

Buy the way its very light, it has plenty of room to breath infront of your mouth, it would be fine for XC although i dont use mine for XC i just use it for the silly stuff if im really pushing a new spot n dont wanna spend a few grand gettin new teeth.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

Quote Originally Posted by Heretic Skeptic View Post
    In the same boat as you. Did you decide on a FF for XC?
    I use mine for doing real stupid things that i havnt tried n a bit of DH, the comp shifteds very light, its a nice cheap helmet
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Check out the MET parachute.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast