mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Full Face or not?

I am going to Angel Fire Bike Park for three days of downhill biking at the end of Aug. Living in south Texas I normally ride cross country so I don't have a full face helmet or armor. I will be renting a bike at AF and a full face helmet is included in the rental price but I just don't know about wearing a helmet that has been worn by other people all summer long. The armor I can live with but the helmet thing just has me thinking, should I get my own helmet for the trip or just get over it and wear the helmet they provide? What about just wearing my cross country helmet? Thoughts????

<100%
    Use a FF helmet.. no question - unless you are a pretty ugly dude whose face would be improved by fractures and abrasions.

I see your on the hestitation on the rental - maybe bring a can of lysol and soak it the night before? I think I'd buy one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Wearing your XC helmet for three days of downhilling would be a poor life choice. If you're spending a day doing something steep enough or fast enough that in a crash you're likely to skid across the ground, you really owe it to yourself to have that protection.

The full face is not a bad item to have, even if you use it infrequently. If I was in your situation, I'd buy an inexpensive one I liked.

While we're on the subject, don't forget the rest of your pads. At a minimum protect your head, knees, elbows, and shins if you're riding flats. Basically anything bony that will stick out in a crash.

A buddy of mine who does not frequently do downhill recently decided to forgo those pads and just wear his XC lid. He made a mistake, crashed, and managed to shatter his elbow. Everyone eats dirt once in a while, so be prepared for it and you won't end up with a season-ending injury.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by lazarus2405 View Post
    Wearing your XC helmet for three days of downhilling would be a poor life choice. If you're spending a day doing something steep enough or fast enough that in a crash you're likely to skid across the ground, you really owe it to yourself to have that protection.

The full face is not a bad item to have, even if you use it infrequently. If I was in your situation, I'd buy an inexpensive one I liked.

While we're on the subject, don't forget the rest of your pads. At a minimum protect your head, knees, elbows, and shins if you're riding flats. Basically anything bony that will stick out in a crash.

A buddy of mine who does not frequently do downhill recently decided to forgo those pads and just wear his XC lid. He made a mistake, crashed, and managed to shatter his elbow. Everyone eats dirt once in a while, so be prepared for it and you won't end up with a season-ending injury.
    Yep, all this is accurate. Wear as much protection as you can.

I would look at buying a cheaper full face like the Giro Remedy( $150) , which is what I use.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    They have a sign in the AF rental area with a pic of a pretty torn up shin with the caption "didn't think you'd need shin pads?" or something along those lines. I lent my knee/shin pads to my friend and just wore knee pads, but I also rode well below my level. That place is no joke, dry and loose, as well as very rocky on the more technical trails.

I prefer the option of wear more pads, not having to worry as much about crashing, and enjoying it more because you can push yourself with less risk of injury.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

Bike's hmmm nice

Full Face or not?

Steak dinner slurpy is fine for a few weeks.... Wear the full face and suck up the smell. You be flushing the helmet with your own sweat in no time . Or grab one of those paper hair nets used in kitchens and cleanroom's, that ad's a bit of a barrier for the juckiness ohter users might have left.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I ended up ordering a FF helmet, an O'Neil Airteck, for the trip. I imagine I will be making a couple more trips to AF over then next few years so I will get some use out of it. As far as armor, I have every intention of wearing knee/shin and elbow guards. I will rent those at AF since I am ok with wearing used armor. Thanks for everyones thoughts on the matter.