mtbr member

Full Face Helmet questions/ideas

I need a full face helmet. I got a 661 something or other a while ago, and not really knowing how they fit I wore it a couple times... It's an XL and I think it's too small - I feel like if I crashed in it, the face part would end up breaking my cheekbones or something; it's that tight.

Since there are no shops around me that stock any full faces, and I'd like to avoid buying and trying, and since I think I want a DOT certified helmet anyway, I was thinking just getting a motorcross helmet since there are local stores that stock them and they appear to come in more sizes than bike helmets.

so questions: is there really a difference between DOT mountain bike helmets and motorcross? Are DOT helmets like CPSC bike helmets in that there really isn't any difference from one to the next in terms of [tested] safety? Just get whatever fits head and budget?
    Is my plan a bad idea for some other reason I'm not thinking of?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

mtbr member
    If you can put the helmet on and it doesn't pop out your eyeballs because of lack of circulation, it's not too small. Helmets are supposed to fit tight.

Their structure won't destroy your cheekbones, don't worry about that. Hitting a fist-sized rock would, but you will be happy to have the helmet in between.

mtbr member
    interesting info, though it seems like its DOT vs snell rather than mx vs mtb. Still, at the very least I'll avoid a snell helmet based on that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saul Lumikko View Post
    Their structure won't destroy your cheekbones, don't worry about that. Hitting a fist-sized rock would, but you will be happy to have the helmet in between.
    The times I wore this helmet all day, my face was bruised. No crashes just the pressure of the cheek guards caused it. I get that they are supposed to be snug (I gave it a second chance because I thought the padding might break in more than it has), but I can't wear this thing. That's why you try things on, my mistake.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Interesting article. I suppose the question is whether you want protection in low speed crashes or high speed ones and whether you want protection against hitting the ground or rocks on the ground. Yikes!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I have both moto and mtbr helmets. The biggest difference is going to be weight. If you don't mind it then by all means wear it. I did read the article and bottom line is, both will provide face and head protection.
    Transition Klunker
    Santa Cruz Highball SS
    Canfield Yelli Screamy
    Yeti SB95