Still on Training Wheels!

Full Face helmet over kill for Moab?

I'm leaving for Moab Thursday morning! Most of the guys i'm riding with are XC riders, so I'm not antisipating a lot of huckage. However I don't want to pass up the opportunity to drop when I see the chance. I don't really want to ride while wearing my FF, but don't really know of any other way of bringing it along. I do have a MULE camelback, but don't see any way of attaching my FF to it.

Any thoughts or ideas?
    It's not a good ride if you don't scare yourself at least once.

Yeah...I'm Sponsored..................by my Bank Account

mtbr member
    I thought Moab was overkill for FF.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by RobsterCraw
    I thought Moab was overkill for FF.
    depends on what you do....I would wear one
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Fartographer

Lots of Rocks

There are lots of rocks in Moab. And you don't really get to plan where and when you crash. On the other hand, there's lots of pedaling there, too. The first time I went I wore a full face. Last time I wore an XC helmet because of all the pedaling. I guess it depends on how reckless you feel like riding and how often you crash. I'll probably wear my XC helmet next time, too.
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

soviet pride
    if u have the money are are willing to spend it, u can buy yourself a backpack with straps/clip in things where u can clip ur helmet to. Its what i use so that i dont sufficate wearin the FF. The backpacks are quite nice in my opinion, mine is very comfortable. Got it from my local REI, it even has a camelback installed in it. But anyways, those backpacks are worth it my opinion

mtbr member
    If you're pedaling, you'll want the XC helmet so you can breathe. FYI, the less ventilated your helmet is, and the hotter it is, the higher your heart rate will be and the harder it will be to breathe.

FWIW, you can lower your HR (and breathe easier) by squirting water through the vents in your helmet and cooling your head. However, in Moab, water is liquid gold.

As for attaching the FF to the Mule, I first thought about using a few plastic grocery bags and carabiners. Put the FF in a (doubled) bag, attach carabiners to handles, then attach them to either side of the Mule. You would need to secure it top, bottom, and on both sides to keep it from swinging and throwing your balance off. How to secure it is really the question.

One thought is to forego the plastic bags and get some mesh or an old T-shirt you can sew up for a bag and attach little buckle keychains to the four sides of the bag and the corresponding areas of the Mule. This would involve sewing...
    By buckle keychains, I mean these:
    http://www.branders.com/s/Promotiona...ain-05327.html
    You sew a small piece of fabric or strap material over one round end of the keychain and attach it to the Mule, then attach the other end of the keychain to the corresponding area of the bag. If you do this, be sure to put the FF in the bag and then mark it where you want the tags to eb sewn on. Then you could attach and detach the FF with the bag as you like. Some of the keychain buckles you get at REI come with a strap in the middle, allowing for greater length. You could also use carabiners.
    (I hope all this makes sense)

If I really had to have my FF with me, this is what I'd do.

Good luck!
    -sunny

RIDE TO LIVE&LIVE TO RIDE
    for the temperatures that exist there, i would wear the XC helmet for sure. it's literally a desert. hot. little shade.

mtbr member
    I usually ride a Giro Switchblade in Moab, sometimes with the chin guard sometimes not. I wouldn't wear a DH full face, it would be too hot (maybe at Bartlett's if you are trying new stuff.)

If you have a tendency to crash on your head, however, I'd wear it and bear the heat.

-f00d

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    you'll be fine without the ff helmet. it would be a pain to be out on an xc ride like porcupine with a bulky ff strapped on your back. moab still has some good rides but it seems as though the fr/dh trails which warranted ff helmets are mostly dead (hazard county, lift/moab rim). the rim is worth the hike.... at least until they pull out the stunts. Any new fr/dh trails down there?

Quote Originally Posted by drum714
    I'm leaving for Moab Thursday morning! Most of the guys i'm riding with are XC riders, so I'm not antisipating a lot of huckage. However I don't want to pass up the opportunity to drop when I see the chance. I don't really want to ride while wearing my FF, but don't really know of any other way of bringing it along. I do have a MULE camelback, but don't see any way of attaching my FF to it.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Xtremely Moderate
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyracegirl
    If you're pedaling, you'll want the XC helmet so you can breathe. FYI, the less ventilated your helmet is, and the hotter it is, the higher your heart rate will be and the harder it will be to breathe.

FWIW, you can lower your HR (and breathe easier) by squirting water through the vents in your helmet and cooling your head. However, in Moab, water is liquid gold.

As for attaching the FF to the Mule, I first thought about using a few plastic grocery bags and carabiners. Put the FF in a (doubled) bag, attach carabiners to handles, then attach them to either side of the Mule. You would need to secure it top, bottom, and on both sides to keep it from swinging and throwing your balance off. How to secure it is really the question.

One thought is to forego the plastic bags and get some mesh or an old T-shirt you can sew up for a bag and attach little buckle keychains to the four sides of the bag and the corresponding areas of the Mule. This would involve sewing...
    By buckle keychains, I mean these:
    http://www.branders.com/s/Promotiona...ain-05327.html
    You sew a small piece of fabric or strap material over one round end of the keychain and attach it to the Mule, then attach the other end of the keychain to the corresponding area of the bag. If you do this, be sure to put the FF in the bag and then mark it where you want the tags to eb sewn on. Then you could attach and detach the FF with the bag as you like. Some of the keychain buckles you get at REI come with a strap in the middle, allowing for greater length. You could also use carabiners.
    (I hope all this makes sense)

If I really had to have my FF with me, this is what I'd do.

Good luck!
    -sunny
    My....you are resourceful.
    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

Schmeow Productions
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikepinkbikes
    if u have the money are are willing to spend it, u can buy yourself a backpack with straps/clip in things where u can clip ur helmet to. Its what i use so that i dont sufficate wearin the FF. The backpacks are quite nice in my opinion, mine is very comfortable. Got it from my local REI, it even has a camelback installed in it. But anyways, those backpacks are worth it my opinion
    or instead of clipping it, you could get a TLD... aren't they as light/ventilated as an xc helmet?

DOH!
    Personal preference, what you plan on riding, and how hot it is should be your guide. I don't have dental coverage, so if I'm even thinking about hucking stuff I usually opt to wear of full face. The Odyssey Apache 2 is my favorite vented FF.

I rode Amasa with it in January, but had it been May I probably would have chosen an XC lid and opted out of hitting anything with a high probability of my face impacting the slickrock. As unpleasant as losing teeth is, the prospect of inducing heat stoke isn't ideal, either.

Still on Training Wheels!
    Thanks for the replys.

I've been out to moab before, but only gut to ride Slick Rock . This trip though is strickley for riding. I'm bringing both helmets, but just trying to decide if its worth the hasle of bringing the FF on the rides. If I do i won't be wearing it, i'll strap it to my Camelback some how.
    It's not a good ride if you don't scare yourself at least once.

Yeah...I'm Sponsored..................by my Bank Account

gnar, brah
    I brought my full face with me, but wound up using the XC lid the entire time. Its too hot to run around in the desert for three hours in a full face. Unless you can stash it in your Camelbak on the way up, I'd just leave it in the car. I did a couple of ten foot drops on some of the trails, but I don't know the area well enough to really scout out the hardcore stuff. If I knew where to find some of the bigger stuff it be a different story. That said, I didn't get to do Portal Trail or Porcupine Rim on account of the weather, and probably would have worn my full face on those.
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    If you have a camel back with the top flap that comes down and clips to the bottom part, you can easily attach a helmet on there. You just cinch down the chin strap and the buckle on the camel back and run it through. It stays on there fine for long grinding climbs, but if you are doing techie stuff it might flop around or throw you off balance.