mtbr member
    Sep 2005

New question here. full face helmet...which is best?

Hi all,

buying a full face to protect my cranium. Looking at Bell Bellistic, Giro Mad MAx II, and 661 Full Bravo. Anyone wanna offer up some advice on camparisons? Like, does one have really crappy ventilation? I have looked on here and on each mfg. website and formed my own opinion but always value you guys as the best source.

Also, are there others I should look at? I saw one by Qranc but I have never heard of them and know nothing about their stuff. I'm leaning toward the Giro right now. It appears to have the best blend of light weight, good ventilation and protection of noggin. Obviously a TLD would be the best but I don't really feel like dropping $300 for a helmet right now.

Please, by all means, throw down some of your two cents worth... I am open to all suggestions.

-Chad

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    buy a MX helmet...

They offer WAY more protection, and you won't ahve to replace it after every little impact.

mtbr member
    I have a 661 full comp that I love. It was only $45 at beyondbikes.com. Really good ventilation and it saved my noodle after a pretty fast, head-first crash into a big tree, while falling off a bridge. Didn't even damage the helmet, and if it had, I'd only be out $45. The only thing I don't like about it is the mouth vent holes are off to the sides, so when you're going slow it makes it hard to breath. I take it off when I'm getting back to the top of the hill. Breathes awesome going down though.
    TWEEK'D GEAR
    Earth Friendly Riding Apparel
    www.tweekdgear.com

mtbr member
    I have a giro mad max II, ive never had to use it but i let my friend borrow it to do a big jump and he crashed. He says it saved his life. Mad max is nice its got alot of padding its quite comfortable but ive never had a different FF so i can't really compare it to anything.

mtbr member

Giro Mad Max II

I purchased this helmet in black/silver, the fiberglass version as opposed to the carbon fiber. It cost me $80.00. Great protection, lightweight, vents cool very well as long as your moving. Don't expect to feel as cool as with a normal helmet. Vision is great and works well with goggles and sunglasses. You feel much more protected in this helmet, this allows you to go bigger and faster than ever. The helmet also came with a carrying bag lined with fleece. For the money and the protection you cant go wrong. MX helmets protect better but cost over $300.00 for something that is overkill in my opinion. Plus MX helmets are much heavier. Just my .02
    "Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you." W. W.

t2p
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb666
    Hi all,

buying a full face to protect my cranium. Looking at Bell Bellistic, Giro Mad MAx II, and 661 Full Bravo. Anyone wanna offer up some advice on camparisons? Like, does one have really crappy ventilation? I have looked on here and on each mfg. website and formed my own opinion but always value you guys as the best source.

Also, are there others I should look at? I saw one by Qranc but I have never heard of them and know nothing about their stuff. I'm leaning toward the Giro right now. It appears to have the best blend of light weight, good ventilation and protection of noggin. Obviously a TLD would be the best but I don't really feel like dropping $300 for a helmet right now.

Please, by all means, throw down some of your two cents worth... I am open to all suggestions.

-Chad
    For downhill riding ? .......... I would also look at an off road motorcycle helmet ........
    maybe a HJC helmet ........ DOT and Snell approved ..... good looking ....... relatively lightweight ........ and reasonably priced at under $150 ..........

Proffesional Slacker
    I have a fox MX helmet that i got at Cycle gear for and it rox!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Thanks!!!

Not strictly downhilling per se...

I will do some full fledged DH when up in the White's but generally freeriding and large drops in the woods. HEavy duty technical terrain and rock gardens that get you supermanning at least once a day. Need my teeth if I wanna keep getting laid.

Thanks to everyone who has replied. I just also found out about this Specialized Deviant that looks to be pretty good. I guess I have my research work cut out for me.

mtbr member
    Hey, what type of riding will you be doing?

If you are doing real high speed downhilling or crazy jumps, I recommend a Motocross helmet, like the 661 Flight, Fox, or oneal.

However, if you aren't doing anything too extreme, I recommend the giro mad max ii, great venting and stays cool. JensonUSA has them on sale i think

Hi all,

-Chad

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Not strictly downhilling per se...

I will do some full fledged DH when up in the White's but generally freeriding and large drops in the woods. HEavy duty technical terrain and rock gardens that get you supermanning at least once a day. Need my teeth if I wanna keep getting laid.

Thanks to everyone who has replied. I just also found out about this Specialized Deviant that looks to be pretty good. I guess I have my research work cut out for me.
    Try em on. All the helmets you mentioned will protect your face/head, and they are all priced fairly well, so get the one that fits the best. The Bell I think is plastic, not fiberglass, if that matters, and it's cheaper too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    i know where theres a used tld for $100.. dude says its in great shape.