ceteris paribus

Full face helmet and armor for xc?-- Xpost from gen. disc.

Ok, I do mostly XC riding, but I'd like to do enduro as well (enduro= xc+ some small drops, no more than 3-5 feet). Is it a good a idea to get a full face helmet and a light armor (like an 661 SP-1 pressure suit, or a 661 Race Jacket Full Chest Protector and a 661 full bravo 2 helmet)?
    I live in Costa Rica, so the weather gets kind of hot. how bad would armor hurt me while climbing?
    I asked cause I got hit in the face quite bad yesterday, and now I look like Rocky on round 12! Also cause I usually go a bit crazy on the DH and I tend to crash nearly every day...

Also, I think it'll be a good thing to get used to training with the extra weight of the armor. That way, once I go to XC races without it I'll feel very light.
    Who is this doin' this synthetic type of alpha-beta psychadelic funkin'

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Can get hot, quick!

Quote Originally Posted by xctico
    Ok, I do mostly XC riding, but I'd like to do enduro as well (enduro= xc+ some small drops, no more than 3-5 feet). Is it a good a idea to get a full face helmet and a light armor (like an 661 SP-1 pressure suit, or a 661 Race Jacket Full Chest Protector and a 661 full bravo 2 helmet)?
    I live in Costa Rica, so the weather gets kind of hot. how bad would armor hurt me while climbing?
    I asked cause I got hit in the face quite bad yesterday, and now I look like Rocky on round 12! Also cause I usually go a bit crazy on the DH and I tend to crash nearly every day...

Also, I think it'll be a good thing to get used to training with the extra weight of the armor. That way, once I go to XC races without it I'll feel very light.
    I ride the same - XC with lots of rock strewn trails and small drop offs. I wear elbow pads and knee/shin guards, when descending only and only if I'm going fast. This definitely helps aid in scrapes and bruises, just make sure it's adjusted snug enough that it doesn't move on impact. I crashed 2 weeks ago and my elbow pad moved as I slid across the dirt and rocks, scraping away the mesh on the inside of the pad and some of my skin as well! On top of that my bike hit me in the face, I wish I had a full-face helmet then, oh well. If I were you I would get this stuff and then attach it to your Hydropack on your way up then put the gear on before you go down. That's what me and my friend do and it works out great. Anyways, be careful and have fun!

ceteris paribus
    That certainly sounds like a good idea. To avoid the heat. I'll probably try that later on, but now I decided to focus on training to complete La Ruta this and/or next year, so I'm just going to be climbing like a mountain goat for the next 4-16 months.
    Who is this doin' this synthetic type of alpha-beta psychadelic funkin'