ceteris paribus

Full face helmet and armor for xc?

Ok, I do mostly XC riding, but I'd like to do enduro as well (enduro= xc+ some small drops, no more than 3-5 feet). Is it a good a idea to get a full face helmet and a light armor (like an 661 SP-1 pressure suit, or a 661 Race Jacket Full Chest Protector and a 661 full bravo 2 helmet)?
    I live in Costa Rica, so the weather gets kind of hot. how bad would armor hurt me while climbing?
    I asked cause I got hit in the face quite bad yesterday, and now I look like Rocky on round 12! Also cause I usually go a bit crazy on the DH and I tend to crash nearly every day...

Also, I think it'll be a good thing to get used to training with the extra weight of the armor. That way, once I go to XC races without it I'll feel very light.
    Who is this doin' this synthetic type of alpha-beta psychadelic funkin'

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    i say if you feel safer wearing all that, go for it. personally, i cant stand much more than a helmet, gloves, and maybe elbow pads, but thats pushing it. but just do what you want, your the only person that can decide if all that armor is really necessary for what your doing.

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

maybe a volcano shield?

Quote Originally Posted by xctico
    Ok, I do mostly XC riding, but I'd like to do enduro as well (enduro= xc+ some small drops, no more than 3-5 feet). Is it a good a idea to get a full face helmet and a light armor (like an 661 SP-1 pressure suit, or a 661 Race Jacket Full Chest Protector and a 661 full bravo 2 helmet)?
    I live in Costa Rica, so the weather gets kind of hot. how bad would armor hurt me while climbing?
    I asked cause I got hit in the face quite bad yesterday, and now I look like Rocky on round 12! Also cause I usually go a bit crazy on the DH and I tend to crash nearly every day...

Also, I think it'll be a good thing to get used to training with the extra weight of the armor. That way, once I go to XC races without it I'll feel very light.
    hear things are heating up down there. glad you're in costa rica and not here, because around here we're careful enough of others not to be xing the c at speeds that would put others at risk. that would indeed be cruisin' for a bruisin'.

Darth Nader
    I think you would die from heat stroke! I've ridden wearing 661 2x4 and 4x4s and it's pretty damn hot, and that's in northern california in april.

Maybe a compromise is to just wear light knee and elbow pads like 661 DJ.
    BLOG: http://dirtyrubber.blogspot.com
    Latest entry: 06-13-2005 Annadel Ride

I already rode that
    Quote Originally Posted by jarett78
    i say if you feel safer wearing all that, go for it. personally, i cant stand much more than a helmet, gloves, and maybe elbow pads, but thats pushing it. but just do what you want, your the only person that can decide if all that armor is really necessary for what your doing.
    I almost needed body armor the other day. The first guy comes bombing around the corner and we barely miss each other then his friend behind him comes around and he dropped his bike and slid just a foot away from the front of my bike. Both weren't wearing helmets either but then sometimes I don't either when along the local trail.

ceteris paribus
    volcano shield... jeje that would be cool... not very comfortable, but cool...
    yeah, down here there's plenty of offroad for all of us xc speed maniacs to share happily... you don't actually see that many pedestrians once you go into the country, you do see plenty of mtbers (plenty = 10 guys per hour) on weekends and such.

I guess you guys are right about the heat factor not helping... Specially since my goal is finish la Ruta... (maybe it could help during the 2 or 3 day, when you DH off Irazu; I could use the extra warm at 3500 Mts Above Sea Level)

Maybe I'll consider a race jacket with some elbow pads...

I'll have to give it some thought once I get rid of the Rocky look... I'm probably just traumatized, for every time I see a mirror I'm reminded of my sorrow... I should be ok in a couple of days...
    Who is this doin' this synthetic type of alpha-beta psychadelic funkin'