Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 42
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Trail_Blazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,069

    Full Face Helmet

    I am looking for a Full Face Helmet to help me keep my teeth when going big fails and I go down hard.

    I do a mix of riding short chunky DH and a few hours of XC trails in the same ride.

    It's very hot and often I get stuck in 90-110F weather and no wind to help.

    I don't need a super heavy duty helmet but I want more than the regular bike helmet provides.

    Above all I need to be able to keep riding for a hour or more in the heat without taking it off to cool down.

    Here's a list of helmets that I am considering:

    Specialized Deviant II
    Pryme AL helmet
    O'neal Airtech
    Kali Durgana DH
    Urge Down-O-Matic
    Rockgardn Black Pearl DH/FR
    Last edited by Trail_Blazer; 09-04-2012 at 09:10 PM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Trail_Blazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,069
    duplicate
    Last edited by Trail_Blazer; 09-04-2012 at 09:10 PM.

  3. #3
    Uly
    Uly is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    178
    I vote Deviant II. I use it for all mountain. I can ride with that thing on in 90 Degree heat for hours. The rubberizing on the outside, however, has not held up. It actually melted on mine.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Trail_Blazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,069
    Reading user review of the Deviant who say it's crash protection is sub-par is making me nervous.
    Can anyone comment to that?

  5. #5
    Uly
    Uly is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by schristie11 View Post
    Reading user review of the Deviant who say it's crash protection is sub-par is making me nervous.
    Can anyone comment to that?
    I can only give you my opinion, and that is that the helmet is not a downhill/freeride helmet. The construction doesn't "feel" as heavy duty as the more popular dedicated downhill helmets. Since I only do all-mountain type riding and don't take big drops and bomb downhill, that is ok with me.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Trail_Blazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,069
    I guess "big drop" is a relative term. lol
    I'm not looking for a motocross helmet but I want more then just a little protection.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    19
    Full face helmets are hella hot. Look for a good mouthguard and go with that.

  8. #8
    Inspector Gadget
    Reputation: abeckstead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    612
    I have a Bell Sanction and like it. FF is not that bad... I'm kinda partial to the way my face looks and need to go to work tomorrow. I'd say I wear mine more than half the time and it's tollerable. I do some rides that are 4-5mi of straight climbing. For those I strap it to my pack and wear my normal brain bucket for the climb. On rides with varied terrain I just wear it, sometimes I'll un strap it and lift it up, but leave it on my head for steep climbs. Even just a little bit of air flow gets you the swamp cooler effect going... basically makes you ride harder to get some airflow

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Trail_Blazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,069
    Quote Originally Posted by barnyard View Post
    Full face helmets are hella hot. Look for a good mouthguard and go with that.
    It's not just my mouth.
    I get hit in the face with branches and have all sorts of face impacts.
    I have been lucky so far, but I'm tired of the bother and risk.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JMP0323's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    158
    You have to DUCK, DODGE, DIP, DIVE, DODGE those branches.
    I actually have been looking for riding glasses for the "branches" reason.





    Quote Originally Posted by schristie11 View Post
    It's not just my mouth.
    I get hit in the face with branches and have all sorts of face impacts.
    I have been lucky so far, but I'm tired of the bother and risk.
    What did you put in that sandwich?

  11. #11
    Weekend warrior aspirant
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    400
    Quote Originally Posted by JMP0323 View Post
    You have to DUCK, DODGE, DIP, DIVE, DODGE those branches.
    I actually have been looking for riding glasses for the "branches" reason.
    If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a branch!
    Mountain bike with 15k miles, Road bike with 10k miles, breaking in my 29er by riding the entire AZ Trail

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Trail_Blazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,069
    Well I almost lost an eye last weekend to a branch that I hit mid-flight while getting air on a downhill run.
    My Oakley shades saved me but just barely.
    It was brutal, so I'm thinking I want the FF with goggles or visor etc.
    Then a few days later I went head over heals and barely got my face off the ground but my chest and shoulder got creamed.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 4nbstd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    610
    I've been thinking about getting a full face as well, but I sweat a lot as it is and heat stroke is a serious possibility for me, so the only full face helmet that interested me was Azonic/O'neal Airtech. That is, until I found out about MET Parachute Full Face Helmet. I've read about people breaking the lower portion of the helmet when crashing and getting cuts on their face from broken plastic bits though.
    Ghisallo Wheels

    I'm really good looking.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,160
    Quote Originally Posted by 4nbstd View Post
    I've been thinking about getting a full face as well, but I sweat a lot as it is and heat stroke is a serious possibility for me, so the only full face helmet that interested me was Azonic/O'neal Airtech. That is, until I found out about MET Parachute Full Face Helmet. I've read about people breaking the lower portion of the helmet when crashing and getting cuts on their face from broken plastic bits though.
    Think I'd go Casco Viper MX before the MET Parachute....either of which you would have to get from someplace in Europe. I think the OP wants something just a little more than this but I could be wrong.

    https://www.google.com/search?q=casco+viper&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=uwM&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=zXdGUIjmFOLy0gG9qYHwCw&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=665

    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Trail_Blazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,069
    skidad,

    That's a cool unit but I am looking for a step up in protection from that type of helmet.

  16. #16
    beater
    Reputation: evasive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,774
    Wearing a full face and goggles for trail riding in 90-100+ degree heat with no breeze sounds really unpleasant.

    DH helmets are designed to vent at speed. Without air flow, they really hold the heat in. Plus, the chin bar keeps your breath in front of you to some degree, and also makes it more difficult to drink from your hydration bladder on the fly. I have one (POC Cortex Flow) but I only wear it on rides that have very discrete uphill and downhill legs so that I can strap it to my bag for the climbs. I tried it on a trail ride once for giggles, when I first got it. Never again.

    I keep goggles in my bag, and I frequently wear them with my half-shell helmet for a DH run or when the weather or light makes them a better choice than my sunglasses. Mine are bike-specific (Smith Intake Sweat-X) but they're still warm, much warmer than glasses.

    For what you describe, the Specialized is the obvious choice. It's the only one that's vented like a trail helmet.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

    Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,160
    Quote Originally Posted by schristie11 View Post
    skidad,

    That's a cool unit but I am looking for a step up in protection from that type of helmet.
    Well, there is this Cratoni Shakedown. 4 more vents on the back you can't see in this pic and 2 more under the visor also. The mouth guard is somewhat flexible vs rigid and designed to absorb and deflect on impact. Those front cheek pads remove also for a more XC helmet feel. Not a full on down hill helmet but a kinda in between.

    Cratoni Shakedown Helmet 2013 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Trail_Blazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,069
    Yea I was looking at that one, as mentioned in my 2nd post.
    I was looking for one with no flex to the front.
    I wonder how much flex to the front the Specialized Deviant II has.

    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Well, there is this Cratoni Shakedown. 4 more vents on the back you can't see in this pic and 2 more under the visor also. The mouth guard is somewhat flexible vs rigid and designed to absorb and deflect on impact. Those front cheek pads remove also for a more XC helmet feel. Not a full on down hill helmet but a kinda in between.

    Cratoni Shakedown Helmet 2013 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com


  19. #19

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mountain Cycle Shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,962
    Hey Dr. Phil. I'm using the Met Parachute. It's a great helmet.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    Incoming: 2008 Lotus Exige S 240
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    110
    I third (or fourth) the Parachute. I crashed in it pretty hard and no mouth guard shatter so far. It's quite nice actually.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Trail_Blazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,069
    I'm just about convinced to try the Specialized Deviant II.
    Does anyone know where to guy one online?
    Most places are out of stock.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    38
    i been wanting a deviant II for ages but they dont sell them in Aust no sticker.., if u find a site thats sells online for a good price share it

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Trail_Blazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,069
    Quote Originally Posted by Holf View Post
    i been wanting a deviant II for ages but they dont sell them in Aust no sticker.., if u find a site thats sells online for a good price share it
    Google shows me one place only, so I an going to start calling my local stores to ask if they can get me one.

    Specialized, Deviant II Yorktown Cycles Westchester's Best Choice for Bicycles & Service

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    38
    cool stores in aust wont stock them not aust standard sticker so order online is my only option and hope it fits

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •