mtbr member
    May 2011

Full*er coverage Super-D helmets

Hello collective bike brain,

Im going to be racing super-d and a couple of enduros this year. My 5 yr old giro helmet has had it.

I am looking specifically for something that breathes AND has really good coverage around the back ( this rules out road, xc helmets, and sit on top mushroom lids ). The more coverage the better, but not at the expensive of ventilation.

I will be wearing goggles fyi, as at speed my eyes water up with sunglasses and I can't see ****, though I am not sure if this makes me faster or slower So the helmet needs enough coverage in the rear for a goggle strap that i'll probably have to rig into place.

So any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Rodeo

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Ive done a few super d races. I just rock my full face helmet with goggles. Its a giro remedy and I love it. If you want more ventilation there are plenty out there. The specialized deviant is a well ventilated full face. Im not sure of any regular helmets that would actually fit a pair of goggles well.

mtbr member
    POC, Fox, Giro, 661, Urge, all have helmets that are goggle compatible with full coverage in the rear.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    I've been rocking the Bern Watts with the Brock foam for a while. Light, comfy, secure, easy to wash, inexpensive, multi-impact rated, large coverage area.

If you're not familiar, the Brock foam helmets from Bern are "Hardhats" and not rated as bicycle helmets. FWIW I have eaten it quite hard a number of times, including directly onto my head (though it was a 25mph pavement crash). Given the type of helmet and the fact that I am not qualified to make such a judgement, I cant say with 100% certainty that it will protect you in a "Super-D" level crash in the same way that a EPS helmet would. I am currently trusting my head with it, however.

They also make these in EPS (i.e. Meet those safety standards) foam, though their fit is a bit different. They both have a hard plastic shell (great for absorbing damage from mis-handling/dropping). They both have a small bill in the shell; I love it (holds goggles up and blocks sun), but some hate it

rider of bicycles
    Jul 2008
    I've been considering getting something a bit lighter than my normal DH full face helmet, but more than my regular xc lid for the same purpose. This seems to be the best I've seen so far (Urge Archi-Enduro):

If anybody has one, I'd be interested to hear their thoughts.

Uly
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtg7aa View Post
    If anybody has one, I'd be interested to hear their thoughts.
    I have the black,red,white race version. The face is more open than regular down hill helmets. Good ventilation moving, not so much climbing. Climbed well with it on in 70's Deg F temps and below. In the 80's, it felt like having an oven on my head. I have read that the Deviant is a little better, but still hot climbing. I also read that a possible solution to the oven head problem for the Deviants is to remove the cheek pads when climbing. I will try that with the Archi-Enduro next time I ride and the temps get into the 80's, but only for the uphill part. Downhill and the pads go back in.

mtbr member
    I ride with the Urge Down-o-Matic...and I love it...its light...its worked well in hot weather..it is lighter than my Giro Mad Max II.
    We Can't Stop Here...This Is Bat Country.
    Out Of Step.