mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Freerides vs Imapct 2

Been using the fiveten guide tennies for a couple of years now and I've really enjoyed them. Decided to go with them because I just wasn't to crazy about the styling of the other fivetens. But I'm over that now and am looking at getting some bike specific shoes for my birthday this month. But I'm torn between the Freerides and Impact 2's. I like the styling of the freerides and the fact that they look a little cooler (temp wise) than the Impacts. But I understand from some reading that the Impacts are a little stiffer, therefore better for riding. Does anybody have experience with both of these shoes that might be willing to give me your impressions and advice as I make a final decision? I'm also willing to consider other fivetens if anybody has a better suggestion. I'm dealing with east coast Appalachian Mountain's of NC riding if that gives any impression of my riding conditions. I climb bunches and then get to ride down the hill. Lot's of rocks too. If you're from around this area think Rocky Knob in Boone, Kerr Scott in Wilkesboro and then the Forest and Dupont.

Pros and Cons for any of the FiveTens would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Bryan

mtbr member
    I have both, and usually end up riding with the Impacts. The Freeriders are not as stiff and sometimes I can feel my feet getting fatigued. They both provide excellent grip, but the Impacts have a lot better protection. I can't tell any difference heat wise. If I had to keep one I would keep the Impacts. And if I was buying new I would look at the Impacts or Karvers.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Sorry, no experience with the Freerides but I have both the Impact 2 (Hi) and the Karvers. I like the flap on the Karvers for keeping the laces dust free and off/out of the chainring. I've even worn them in public without being scorned...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks guys! I really appreciate the insights. Still not sure what I'm going to do. I've actually started thinking about the Teva Pinner now. They're about $40 less than any of the 5.10's. Guess I'll just have to throw my money down and hope for the best. I've actually read pretty good reviews on all of them.
    Last edited by trailjunkee; 03-07-2013 at 11:58 AM.

Austin, Texas
    I initially bought the Karver's, but when I put them on I was already wondering if I would be keeping them. When I bought them, I believe we were going through 100 days of 100 degree heat in Central Texas. Those things were heavy and hot. I traded them in for the Freeride White Tigers and I could not be happier. MUCH cooler, much lighter. I ride often on trails with lots of rock and I've never had a bit of problem because of "toughness". On occasion, when riding long distances (for me), I will feel some foot fatigue but nothing too severe. If I were riding more screaming downhill, I would be more apt to buy the Impacts or Karvers. For xc/all mountain in areas that can be very hot, the Freeride was by far the better choice. They had some on Competitive Cyclist for $50, you might check into that.

mtbr member
    not to confuse the issue but I have Impacts, Freeriders and Van's Gravels and I prefer the Gravels to either of the others unless doing DH stuff (then its Impacts). The Gravels are a bit less grippy than 5-10's but are really comfortable for walking/pushing, and probably inbetween freerides and impacts in stiffness and closer to Freeriders in terms of protection. Another potential option....

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks. Those Gravels are pricey from Amazon but look like a good shoe!