Thread: Freeride shoes?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Freeride shoes?

Just curious what you guys are wearing on your feet when you do what it is that we do.
    I bought some Etnies skate shoes but am thinking of taking them back. Super comfy and semi stiff, but I was looking for other ideas. Thanks.

not really a noob
    Vans Estillo
    I HATE WORK, WORK IS BAD, WORK = NO BIKE, NO BIKE = NO GOOD

kona-tize me captain
    661 05 duallys (amazing0

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    i-path 1985's....i love 'em

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    5.10 has a new BMX/freeride shoe - similar to what they made and sold through Intense - it's sweet!

ylthgitS dipootS
    i got a pair of etnies, so far they kick arse for riding/jumping. they stick hell good to the pedals.

i say stick with thems.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    as crazy as it sounds, the best shoes i have ever ridden with are a pair of rebok pump B ball shoes i got for free they are hightops, and are super suportive, not to mention the have ungodly amounts of pedal grip. i had the richie schiley pro sho before that, and those were definatly nice, but the pumps are the best!

mtbr member

Adidas

I get a little love from Adidas so needless to say I wear shelltoes but I wouldn't mind a little more ankle coverage. Lookin at a pair of Hematoma's for race season...rigid sole, 3/4 top and SPD compatible but pricey. I have good pedal "feel" with the flexible shelltoe sole (can feel where the pedal is under my foot) but I'm not sure if I'm gonna dig the rigid sole or not. Any thoughts?
    You have bleed with Wallace.....now bleed with me!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Good job! thanks

thanks for the input. It sounds to me like all that really matters is personal preference. The only thing that worries me about the Etnies is the thick-ass collar. (Worried about clearance and rubbing on crank.)

not really a noob
    Quote Originally Posted by iowaboy
    thanks for the input. It sounds to me like all that really matters is personal preference. The only thing that worries me about the Etnies is the thick-ass collar. (Worried about clearance and rubbing on crank.)
    the inside of my vans are worn down really bad but it looks cool becasue there black.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I HATE WORK, WORK IS BAD, WORK = NO BIKE, NO BIKE = NO GOOD

kona-tize me captain
    make sure u get thick soles
    1. wear down fast
    2. u dont want any screws coming through ur foot( happened to me)

michigan sucks
    dont be tryin to be cool like me and gettin $30 work boots from wal-mart
    TUCK AND ROLL FATTY!!!!!!

the target bike basher
    My DC bmx shoes are unreal for grip, i feel like im clipless, and only 34$ at dans comp!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mothahucker
    Go hit some more two foot plywood jumps in your culdesack on your toys'r'us magma

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    hey, why dont you go clipless? Just curious, I"m currently not clipless and just wearing a old pair of nike's, i dont have to much problem, just contemplating clipless, any thoughts from this thread?

Meh.
    Vans Maestro or Rowleys mated to Kona Jackshit pedals. Awesome combo. Skate shoes own. The soles on the Maestros seem a bit thin, and have me ever so slightly concerned, but the grip is unreal. I have yet to shin myself since this new shoe/pedal combo. It's bound to happen soon enough... After these Vans die, I think I'm going back to DC or Etnies.

mtbr member

Clipless

Quote Originally Posted by dochall22
    hey, why dont you go clipless? Just curious, I"m currently not clipless and just wearing a old pair of nike's, i dont have to much problem, just contemplating clipless, any thoughts from this thread?
    A lot of racers run clipless but it's just preference I think. This debate has been waged in depth on MTBR but the bottom line is you just can't get your foot out of clips as fast as a platform if you need to throw a foot down. There are obvious bike control benefits to being clipped in and equal risk to going down at high speed attached to your bike. I personally take tech sections at high speed and move around on the bike too much to be clipped in (changing foot position) but I run clips on my trail bike. Preference.
    You have bleed with Wallace.....now bleed with me!

Cynical Bystander
    I have these are my main riding shoes. They're a lot more low profile than the pic looks. Maybe 3inches tall at the most. They're a bit different colored than the pic with the main parts black as well as the trim around the black then everything else is white. BEST shoes i've ever ridden in. Nice flexible sole but still pretty stiff. Grabs like nothing else onto my Azonic pedals. They also fit my foot like a glove, unlike those big boat-like skate shoes which I have. Then again I usually have a few pairs to try for biking. I have these, another set of Vans but different, some Lakai Howards (suck for riding too flexy) then a few old Vans that I've turned into lawn mowing shoes.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    dvs -jeron wilsons are my favs
    life aint nothin but bitches and money.................

Glad to Be Alive
    Nike Flights....high top basketbal shoes...around 40 bucks
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Innovate or die!

hmm

By far the best shoe for downhill/freeride is the Five.Ten impact. Made with the same type of rubber that is on Intense Slow rebound tires. Insanely good grip, i won't even ride in my every day etnies any more. Also made of very durable materials. Check out pinkbike, NSMB, and go-ride for good reviews.
    170mm profile crankset, silver king headset barely used, new blackspire chainguide, old version hope mini brakes---- all for sale at i-wanna-get-rid-of-it prices. I'm gone all of july after the 10th, other than that PM me if interested.

~*EVIL

somting

i just wear some old skater shoes i have, very dirty but they r comfy and serve me well.

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Quote Originally Posted by j6105
    By far the best shoe for downhill/freeride is the Five.Ten impact. Made with the same type of rubber that is on Intense Slow rebound tires. Insanely good grip, i won't even ride in my every day etnies any more. Also made of very durable materials. Check out pinkbike, NSMB, and go-ride for good reviews.
    Werd. For the first couple of rides I found them to be too grippy, but now I'm used to them and its unreal.
    JackNugz

Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

Say Car Ramrod!!
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by konabiker
    Werd. For the first couple of rides I found them to be too grippy, but now I'm used to them and its unreal.
    etnies callicuts
    I wish my grass was emo so it would cut itself...

north bush biker

i wear

i wear my old lugz riding jk. i were vans skate shoes i can get for like $30 at payless shoes.
    RIDE HARD,RIDE FAST

mtbr member
    I have 3 pairs of Vans XL2's. Honeycomb pattern is sick for grip, and they have enough, but not too much flex so that you can feel the pedal concave.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I have both the 5.10 impact's and Adidas Hematoma, it's the best of both worlds. I use the 5.10's for DJ and street and DH trails that scare me, the Hematoma's for XC/trail riding and DH.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by VooDoo13
    I get a little love from Adidas so needless to say I wear shelltoes but I wouldn't mind a little more ankle coverage. Lookin at a pair of Hematoma's for race season...rigid sole, 3/4 top and SPD compatible but pricey. I have good pedal "feel" with the flexible shelltoe sole (can feel where the pedal is under my foot) but I'm not sure if I'm gonna dig the rigid sole or not. Any thoughts?
    I love my adidas with my Mallets.

On platforms they feel a bit skatey because of their stiffness even though the rubber tread grips OK.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

~*EVIL
    i use some old tony hawk shoes and the grip is good, plus i have good petals too!
    ~*EVIL. The evilest clan ever!
    Our Server -- 67.81.148.5:27015

Soul Cycles
    Jan 2005

wat shoes are those

????????

Quote Originally Posted by COmtbiker12
    I have these are my main riding shoes. They're a lot more low profile than the pic looks. Maybe 3inches tall at the most. They're a bit different colored than the pic with the main parts black as well as the trim around the black then everything else is white. BEST shoes i've ever ridden in. Nice flexible sole but still pretty stiff. Grabs like nothing else onto my Azonic pedals. They also fit my foot like a glove, unlike those big boat-like skate shoes which I have. Then again I usually have a few pairs to try for biking. I have these, another set of Vans but different, some Lakai Howards (suck for riding too flexy) then a few old Vans that I've turned into lawn mowing shoes.

the target bike basher
    My dcs just got in MBUK!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mothahucker
    Go hit some more two foot plywood jumps in your culdesack on your toys'r'us magma

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by sreiman
    ????????
    I don't remember the exact model. They're pretty much just Vans Rowleys and kinda old school but more like a sneaker type thing.... they're like 3 years old so I don't remember.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I've been reading through this thread since I've recently come back to mtn biking after a 3+ year absense and the new ride has platforms (I'm used to toe traps from many years ago). I can only offer the following advice....

Flat soles, good. Knobby soles, not good.

I went on my first ride in a pair of outdoor style Merrells with a pretty aggressive tread. The lugs on the shoe made the pin placement hit and miss as some fell in the gaps between sole treads. LAME. Slipped a pedal and mashed a seat rail with my chest.

Went out today to tool around town and practice doing staircases and manuals. But this time I went out wearing my retro New Balance 594s that I normally wear around town. The flat sole made a HUGE difference even with my (soon to be replaced) smooth non-replaceble-pin stock platforms (getting A-Frames tomorrow).

Moral of story, wear something comfy and the flatter the sole the less you have to worry about pin placement! I may look into some dedicated shoes now that I know what works and I really don't want to ride in my special edition kicks and tear up the soles.

Schmeow Productions
    I use globe somethings.... to A Frame pedals... not one slip yet...but i don't crash

Soul Cycles
    Jan 2005
    what are the shoes in that picture that COmtbker gave us?

Magic Man

FiveTen

Quote Originally Posted by bikeandski
    I have both the 5.10 impact's and Adidas Hematoma, it's the best of both worlds. I use the 5.10's for DJ and street and DH trails that scare me, the Hematoma's for XC/trail riding and DH.
    Yeah those FiveTens are pretty sick. I just ordered some. I had been using the Lake R.S for the past year, and they were pretty torn up. They were great shoes, a little soft, but good for FR.
    She said "No, you're wrong." I said "You got a lumpy butt." She got mad at me and yelled at me and I pissed in my pants and I never did change my pee-pants all day. I'm still sittin' in my dirty pee-pants.

mtbr member
    Super love for Osiris D3's. thick shoes, lots of padding and support, great grip

Youngbuck
    Just Bought a pair of Es Rodrigo TX's.I havent really got to ride in them yet but they feel super comfy and have nice padding and support.
    Honorary Member of the: 500 club

Back in Scotland

Radars!

Oakley radars! Simply superb for grip and stiffness! Well worth the green!

Bad@ss NYC Freerider
    I have 2 pairs of vans XL2's...insane grip, and very comfortable.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Master_Jako
    I have 2 pairs of vans XL2's...insane grip, and very comfortable.
    I have 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal

mtbr member

Etnies

Quote Originally Posted by dUbMaN
    i got a pair of etnies, so far they kick arse for riding/jumping. they stick hell good to the pedals.

i say stick with thems.
    I second the vote for ETNIES best shoes made ! Go with a pair of the Mike V shoes or the new Ruben shoe , these will grab pedals the best .

On a second note I have been wearing my older Oakley shoes , due to a broken toe and tey are almost my second fav's now !!
    Follow me on Instagram for up to date build pics -Brad4130
    Nem-Pro store
    Nem-Pro Blog

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I hope to get 661 Launch shoes. They seem perfect.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

sauconys

i ride an old pair of sauconys. theyre comfotable and dont felx to much. just my preference i guess

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    don't let friends ride without sticky!!!

Whig party member
    VANS

the waffle grip is the best. Just get the ones that are very fat and chodey

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    im also runnning a pair of Vans Rowley XL2s, there great shoes, best sole ive ridden with so far, but for a new shoe im looking into something a little stronger and with more height...

so im going to be looking at the new SIXSIXONE Dually shoe and the 5.10 Impact...

for SPD type shoes id look inot the new Oakley SPD shoe or the Shimano DX SPD shoe...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    everybody was dressed nice...I had shorts, Rogue T-shirt and sandles

Transition Blindside v5

VANS Rowley Shams

I'm still new to the "platform pedals & sneakers" combo (my 1st season without my clipless set), but I got a pair of VANS "Rowley Shams" skateshoes that specifically come with the "Off-The-Wall" soles (soft/gummy & "uniterrupted" waffle-pattern), mated with Weyless (Wellgo) B-27 pedals. As I get used to the setup more & more, I think they stick quite well, too.

http://forums.mtbr.com/downhill-freeride/technique-how-whats-called-73703.html#post790452

I'm also curious about those Five.Ten shoes. Does anybody have some pictures of the shoe soles? Is it just as seen on the side of the sole that's visible in their website pic's? (those big circule patterns)

- PiroChu

Soul Cycles
    Jan 2005
    i dont really like the look of the skater shoe... i wear addidas classics or somthin, but they suck, so im looking for somthin with the "off the wall" pattern. i was lookin at the vans classics old skool. i want a sneaker type shoe

Transition Blindside v5

VANS Old School

i was lookin at the vans classics old skool. i want a sneaker type shoe
    Before I found my VANS, I was gonna buy something like these Old School VANS with good OTW soles (URL below), but realized that the shoe "uppers" (?) are rather thin, just like a piece of stiff cloth, almost. I wasn't sure if that'll withstand the MTB-use abuse, so I went with some thicker "uppers" skateboard type shoes.

This might not be an issue for you, but just a thought...
    - PiroChu

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...388937876&rd=1
    (NOTE: No, I'm not the seller of this eBay item.)

Youngbuck
    Am i the only one who rocks out the Es'?
    Honorary Member of the: 500 club

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

I ordered these yesterday

kinda ugly, but cheap.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    any skate shoes with flat sole. adio holds up well but dvs is probably the best company. osirus is terrible and will fall apart quickly!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by COmtbiker12
    I agree those are the best, the pattern on the bottom sticks to the pins on a platform pedal like u were clipped in..

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    turk wered you get those and how much were they?

OH $#!% TREE!
    i ride with 661 hammers, they have really thick soles and they grip really well to platform pedals, they also clean up really well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    did i mention i love to ride i-paths
    MINT 05 HARO ESCAPE 8.3 FRAME FOR SALE.....pm for details

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Hitops

I got them from zappos.com. The price is around 55 bucks with free shipping. They should be at my door when I get home today.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    I love my adidas with my Mallets.

On platforms they feel a bit skatey because of their stiffness even though the rubber tread grips OK.
    With this combination are you able to unclip and ride them like you would a normal platform pedal? There is a ton of technical riding around here, but you have to pedal to everywhere you go, no true downhills. So basically I want to be clipped in for pedaling but for nasty rock gardens and drops, I would much rather be unclipped. I tried this with some Specialized shoes and Shimano 636 but you've got hard plastic sitting on top of the metal on the clip part, so you just slid around, the platform didn't do a bit of good.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Acadian
    don't let friends ride without sticky!!!
    I second that - the Five Ten Impact shoes are awesome!!

Transition Blindside v5

New question here. Anyone use Shoe Goo to fill up the pin-damaged soles?

Anyone use Shoe Goo to fill up the pin-damaged soles of your skate-type shoes?

Back in April I bought a pair of VANS with OTW-waffle soles, and they are doing a great job keeping my feet on my flat padals. But I'm seeing some pin-digging wear/tear on the soles (particularly in just one area), while the rest of the shoes shows hardly any wear/tear yet.

The pins are only long enough to chew up the waffle layer, so it's not like any pins are gonna go thru my shoe soles. So I'm not worried about that. But I was just curious as to refilling up those cavity areas with Shoe Goo will make it better, worse, or no-difference, in terms of the pin/shoe "gripping"...?

(I don't mean to be a cheap-a$$ here... )

http://eclecticproducts.com/shoegoo/home.asp
    Last edited by PiroChu; 06-22-2005 at 10:47 AM.

rockin the mid-west
    ok what about these
    PUNK FOR LIFE
    freeride & Down hill for life
    Companies I support
    E-13
    Shimano
    Maxxis
    EBC
    Marzocchi
    SIXSIXONE
    Specialized
    Arrow Racing
    Truvativ
    W.O.R.B.A. supporter
    I.M.B.A. supporter

rockin the mid-west
    what about these
    PUNK FOR LIFE
    freeride & Down hill for life
    Companies I support
    E-13
    Shimano
    Maxxis
    EBC
    Marzocchi
    SIXSIXONE
    Specialized
    Arrow Racing
    Truvativ
    W.O.R.B.A. supporter
    I.M.B.A. supporter

banned
    Mar 2005
    661 launch shoes

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Rowleys (original)

what are the shoes in that picture that COmtbker gave us?
    Those are the original Jeff Rowley shoes. Vans still makes these, they're super popular w/ol' school skaters- supper sticky sole, more so than the newer Rowleys (XL II & III)

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Yeah, what about those????

Quote Originally Posted by madtownfreerider
    ok what about these
    I've wondered about those too... they look good. Was tryin' to decide between these & 661's Launch shoe for clipless. The Launch is a bit taller & has more ankle protection for crashes.