Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Freeride shoes?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Freeride shoes?

Just curious what you guys are wearing on your feet when you do what it is that we do.
    I bought some Etnies skate shoes but am thinking of taking them back. Super comfy and semi stiff, but I was looking for other ideas. Thanks.

not really a noob
    Vans Estillo
    [SIZE=1]I HATE WORK, WORK IS BAD, WORK = NO BIKE, NO BIKE = NO GOOD[/SIZE]

kona-tize me captain
    661 05 duallys (amazing0

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    i-path 1985's....i love 'em

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    5.10 has a new BMX/freeride shoe - similar to what they made and sold through Intense - it's sweet!

ylthgitS dipootS
    i got a pair of etnies, so far they kick arse for riding/jumping. they stick hell good to the pedals.

i say stick with thems.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    as crazy as it sounds, the best shoes i have ever ridden with are a pair of rebok pump B ball shoes i got for free they are hightops, and are super suportive, not to mention the have ungodly amounts of pedal grip. i had the richie schiley pro sho before that, and those were definatly nice, but the pumps are the best!

mtbr member

Adidas

I get a little love from Adidas so needless to say I wear shelltoes but I wouldn't mind a little more ankle coverage. Lookin at a pair of Hematoma's for race season...rigid sole, 3/4 top and SPD compatible but pricey. I have good pedal "feel" with the flexible shelltoe sole (can feel where the pedal is under my foot) but I'm not sure if I'm gonna dig the rigid sole or not. Any thoughts?
    You have bleed with Wallace.....now bleed with me!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Good job! thanks

thanks for the input. It sounds to me like all that really matters is personal preference. The only thing that worries me about the Etnies is the thick-ass collar. (Worried about clearance and rubbing on crank.)

not really a noob
    Quote Originally Posted by iowaboy
    thanks for the input. It sounds to me like all that really matters is personal preference. The only thing that worries me about the Etnies is the thick-ass collar. (Worried about clearance and rubbing on crank.)
    the inside of my vans are worn down really bad but it looks cool becasue there black.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIZE=1]I HATE WORK, WORK IS BAD, WORK = NO BIKE, NO BIKE = NO GOOD[/SIZE]

kona-tize me captain
    make sure u get thick soles
    1. wear down fast
    2. u dont want any screws coming through ur foot( happened to me)

michigan sucks
    dont be tryin to be cool like me and gettin $30 work boots from wal-mart
    TUCK AND ROLL FATTY!!!!!!

the target bike basher
    My DC bmx shoes are unreal for grip, i feel like im clipless, and only 34$ at dans comp!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mothahucker
    Go hit some more two foot plywood jumps in your culdesack on your toys'r'us magma

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    hey, why dont you go clipless? Just curious, I"m currently not clipless and just wearing a old pair of nike's, i dont have to much problem, just contemplating clipless, any thoughts from this thread?

Meh.
    Vans Maestro or Rowleys mated to Kona Jackshit pedals. Awesome combo. Skate shoes own. The soles on the Maestros seem a bit thin, and have me ever so slightly concerned, but the grip is unreal. I have yet to shin myself since this new shoe/pedal combo. It's bound to happen soon enough... After these Vans die, I think I'm going back to DC or Etnies.

mtbr member

Clipless

Quote Originally Posted by dochall22
    hey, why dont you go clipless? Just curious, I"m currently not clipless and just wearing a old pair of nike's, i dont have to much problem, just contemplating clipless, any thoughts from this thread?
    A lot of racers run clipless but it's just preference I think. This debate has been waged in depth on MTBR but the bottom line is you just can't get your foot out of clips as fast as a platform if you need to throw a foot down. There are obvious bike control benefits to being clipped in and equal risk to going down at high speed attached to your bike. I personally take tech sections at high speed and move around on the bike too much to be clipped in (changing foot position) but I run clips on my trail bike. Preference.
    You have bleed with Wallace.....now bleed with me!

Cynical Bystander
    I have these are my main riding shoes. They're a lot more low profile than the pic looks. Maybe 3inches tall at the most. They're a bit different colored than the pic with the main parts black as well as the trim around the black then everything else is white. BEST shoes i've ever ridden in. Nice flexible sole but still pretty stiff. Grabs like nothing else onto my Azonic pedals. They also fit my foot like a glove, unlike those big boat-like skate shoes which I have. Then again I usually have a few pairs to try for biking. I have these, another set of Vans but different, some Lakai Howards (suck for riding too flexy) then a few old Vans that I've turned into lawn mowing shoes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    dvs -jeron wilsons are my favs
    life aint nothin but *****es and money.................

Glad to Be Alive
    Nike Flights....high top basketbal shoes...around 40 bucks
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Innovate or die!

hmm

By far the best shoe for downhill/freeride is the Five.Ten impact. Made with the same type of rubber that is on Intense Slow rebound tires. Insanely good grip, i won't even ride in my every day etnies any more. Also made of very durable materials. Check out pinkbike, NSMB, and go-ride for good reviews.
    170mm profile crankset, silver king headset barely used, new blackspire chainguide, old version hope mini brakes---- all for sale at i-wanna-get-rid-of-it prices. I'm gone all of july after the 10th, other than that PM me if interested.

~*EVIL

somting

i just wear some old skater shoes i have, very dirty but they r comfy and serve me well.

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Quote Originally Posted by j6105
    By far the best shoe for downhill/freeride is the Five.Ten impact. Made with the same type of rubber that is on Intense Slow rebound tires. Insanely good grip, i won't even ride in my every day etnies any more. Also made of very durable materials. Check out pinkbike, NSMB, and go-ride for good reviews.
    Werd. For the first couple of rides I found them to be too grippy, but now I'm used to them and its unreal.
    [SIZE=4]JackNugz[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

Say Car Ramrod!!
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by konabiker
    Werd. For the first couple of rides I found them to be too grippy, but now I'm used to them and its unreal.
    etnies callicuts
    [SIZE="5"]I wish my grass was emo so it would cut itself...[/SIZE]

north bush biker

i wear

i wear my old lugz riding jk. i were vans skate shoes i can get for like $30 at payless shoes.
    RIDE HARD,RIDE FAST

mtbr member
    I have 3 pairs of Vans XL2's. Honeycomb pattern is sick for grip, and they have enough, but not too much flex so that you can feel the pedal concave.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast