mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Bonking ... not feelin' well Food for thought: Is a tight retention strap a good thing for fullface helmets? Xpost

Now that's one sTrAnGe question, but here's the thing:
    Last weekend I face planted with a MET parachute fullface helmet, took a hit directly at its jaw protection, came out with no facial damage BUT with one BIG throat ache. After coming home, I sat to better understand why the **** my throat hurts, and it hit me that when a fullface helmet gets such a straight hit at the jaw area, it will try to ride up the head, resisted only by the thin retention strap, and pulling the retention strap strongly into the throat . On the MET parachute, I actually probably had a very good luck that my retention strap wasn't tight, since simulating the direct jaw hit on the helmet with a properly tightened strap results with a CRAZY amount of throat pressure before the helmet even touches my face! (anybody want to play hangman?). Geez. Yet another thing to watch out for when buying a fullface.
    [My old TLD actually does pretty well here. minimal pressure when hit from the front. But boy is it hot...]
    Has anyone else experienced this? Perhaps some flexible straps or very wide ones are a better solution.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Chew on this...http://www.dropmachine.com/shop/jock.php (I'm not sure this company is still around their site appears to be down)

I tend to wear my strap loose, though I can luckily say I've never face planted YET (knock on wood).

Justin Vander Pol
    Oh no way. It is FAR better from a safety standpoint to have the strap tight. This is both to keep the helmet on your head and also to minimize the forces on your throat.

The skater fad of no chinstrap or a really loose one is just stupid. Kind of like wearing your girlfriend's pant's, which is also cool with prepubescent groms right now.

It's all about inertia. Head injuries, when you're wearing a helmet, don't come from the initial impact of the helmet foam to your head, but the secondary impact of your head to the helmet after the foam has compressed and absorbed a whole lotta energy.

A loose chinstrap just makes any impacts worse. First, due to inertia, the same amount of force applies to your jaw/throat whether the strap is tight or not. Having a loose strap just means that the forces probably didn't go where they were intended. Helmets are highly engineered devices - much more so than other other bike component we use. They have to be due to the liability involved.

I have a hunch (this is speculation) that if your strap was tight your throat wouldn't be sore. These helmets have to go through a lot of tests (CPSC or similar) and they factor in how the straps works. It seems to me a tight strap would put the forces more onto your jaw than on your throat.

Sounds like you were lucky that you were wearing a full-face lid. I've got a few forehead scars from back in the early 90's before most of us wore helmets. I've also destroyed a few helmets, even full facers - they definitely do their job.

conjoinicorned
    i don't use the strap with my fullface, just let it dangle. often do the same with my skidlid...i take falls fairly often and so far no problems losing my helmet before impact....
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Personally, I'd rather have a bruise on my neck than a broken face.

That's just me though.

mtbr member
    thicker the strap the better.... tighter the strap the better.

Ahahaha
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dervishboy05
    thicker the strap the better.... tighter the strap the better.
    totally agee.
    its dont like mine very very tight but just tight

ride hard take risks
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    I was always under the impression that the strap should be tight enough so that you can only get 2 fingers in between the strap and your throat.

Like mentioned above, I'd rather have a bruised throat than a broken face.

gutentight
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday
    i don't use the strap with my fullface, just let it dangle. often do the same with my skidlid...i take falls fairly often and so far no problems losing my helmet before impact....
    Please tell me that you are joking, my sarcasm detector must be broken. You probably are not going to have your helmet fly off when you are riding, but the killer is those sudden ragdoll crashes that you didn't expect, and thus were not prepared for in any way. When that happens, it is usually so violent and fast that you don't even realize what happened until you are laying there in pain.
    Plus if you are going to be riding with "plastic courage", you should take a few seconds to make sure that it is actually on right so that it is not just dead weight you are carrying around.
    Your head is a body part that you only get one of. Take care of it.
    -Max

squish is good
    I go in the middle, on both my XC helmet and my full face. I like to be able to squeeze a finger or two in between the strap and my neck. I've crashed hard and it's never moved in a manner to make me worried about lack of protection. Riding unstrapped IMO is not smart and super tight is just downright uncomfortable.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RED5
    Chew on this...http://www.dropmachine.com/shop/jock.php (I'm not sure this company is still around their site appears to be down)

I tend to wear my strap loose, though I can luckily say I've never face planted YET (knock on wood).
    I use a chin lock as well. It distributes the force of the impact and the strap's tightness across the whole chin, not just the throat region. I haven't had many impacts where I come down chin first but it does seem to make the helmet more secure. It's also relatively comfy.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jareth
    I use a chin lock as well. It distributes the force of the impact and the strap's tightness across the whole chin, not just the throat region. I haven't had many impacts where I come down chin first but it does seem to make the helmet more secure. It's also relatively comfy.
    Well take good care of your ChinLock, because the email I got inquiring about the ChinLock from Dropmachine the other day implys that the maker isn't making them anymore...

"Curtis is still around, but he doesnt' deal with the mountain bike world much anymore. No money. We (DropMachine) still got a bunch for sale though."

mtbr member
    Same theory applies to climbing; snow, ice, rock and glacier travel...You DO NOT want ANY slack in the rope. As soon as things get moving with any slack in the rope it's way harder to get it stopped and as soon as that slack is taken out you can say good bye.

Brackish
    I wear it good n' tight on all of my helmets. Seriously, between being a bike messenger for eight years and now doing a ton of MTB riding on big mountain terrain and in Skateparks, the strap needs to be tight! The helmet does shift when you hit, and in all the many many times I've hit my head it's always been very violent and very fast and unavoidable.

Members who have read this thread: 0