mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Flats with pins - Shin guards a good idea?

I finally got some decent riding shoes (Five Ten Freeriders) and I'm finding that now the cheap $2 pedals that came with my bike are a little too small. I'm thinking of tracking down something like the Kona Wah Wah's, or some variation of pedal with spikey pins.

With that in mind, is it crazy to get flats with pins without shin guards? I can't say I've hit my shins with my pedals in a long time (even falling off skinnies), but it seems that if they do collect holy hell they are going to do some damage! I do a lot of XC riding so I'm thinking they might be overkill.

What do most of you guys ride with when using flats with pins?

mtbr member
    I do almost all XC riding with these deity pedals. Also I've done 2 races with them, and they've been amazing. They've never hit my shins, but they have gouged the back of my calf a few times when my cranks hit roots/rocks. Oh and I don't use shin guards.

deity Compound Pedals
    Yeti SB-66 Carbon

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I think that unprotected shins in a case of crash are much more in danger from the impact of something else, than the pedals themselves. If you are thinking about pedal slippage, this wont kill you so shouldnt worry.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniZg View Post
    If you are thinking about pedal slippage, this wont kill you so shouldnt worry.
    That's probably the best response I've ever seen.

habitual line-stepper
    Since i was clipless for so long, I used shin guards until I was comfortable riding with my new flats. Once you get your technique down, slipping a pedal rarely happens. Personally, I prefer a pedal with a few inboard pins (near the spindle). Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by vBulletin
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

local trails rider
    I haven't done much riding with flat pedals for a couple of years but don't recall any major hits from the time I did. A few minor scrapes from the pedals is all.

I suppose the possibility is there but, then, you should also remember that lots of people die in their homes ...

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    It also depends on the pedal. I had a Sunline V1 pedal. They were heavy as hell - bricks with spikes. I slipped off one pedal and it struck me in the shin. I was on the floor crying like a baby for the next half hour. I bought shin pads the very next day. I eventually switched pedals to a VP-59, which much lighter. Pedal striked from the VP-59 don't hurt, so I don't wear shin pads anymore.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I use loaded pedals and they are very wide and have dagger like pins but I rarely slip and when I do I only get light scratches

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks for the responses. Seems for now I'll give them a miss. It's been a long time since I've cracked myself in the shins, and it seems some others have had good streaks too. I guess I'll just keep riding that luck train =)

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Save yourself some grief and get something like a 661 veggie wrap. It's not bulky but yet enough to keep your pedal from tattooing your shin. I gotta tell you, it hurts like a motha ...
    When it does hit your shin.