mtbr member

Flat shoes for long rides and HAB?

Hi all,

I've been riding clipless for over 4 years and have almost completely stopped riding bikes with flat pedals. I went to Yosemite last week and was on a bike (using flats) for much of the trip and felt like it was my first time on a bike - not someone who has been riding hard for 4 years. Almost felt a little silly because my friends on the trip knew how much I ride and saw how unimpressive I was, lol.

Anyways, I want to regain proper technique using flats. I'm thinking about getting some Five Ten's but most of their shoes seem really heavy and inadequate for hike-a-bike. During the Summer, this is probably fine but I do some pretty long/back country rides during the Fall/Winter which require good HAB shoes that I can wear comfortably for 6 hrs+

Any recommendations? Or should I just switch shoes/pedals dependent on the ride?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    spank spikes and Teva links work great for me! Five Ten are not as comfortable to me, Teva's are very comfy! watch the spikes they bite!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by tweasol View Post
    Hi all,

I've been riding clipless for over 4 years and have almost completely stopped riding bikes with flat pedals. I went to Yosemite last week and was on a bike (using flats) for much of the trip and felt like it was my first time on a bike - not someone who has been riding hard for 4 years. Almost felt a little silly because my friends on the trip knew how much I ride and saw how unimpressive I was, lol.

Anyways, I want to regain proper technique using flats. I'm thinking about getting some Five Ten's but most of their shoes seem really heavy and inadequate for hike-a-bike. During the Summer, this is probably fine but I do some pretty long/back country rides during the Fall/Winter which require good HAB shoes that I can wear comfortably for 6 hrs+

Any recommendations? Or should I just switch shoes/pedals dependent on the ride?

Thanks in advance.
    I use my Red Wing work boots, with full lug Vibram soles.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    I ride with a pair of Teva Cranks and love them. They feel like a pair of casual shoes but the sole is made for flat pedals. Comfortable enough to HAB IMO, which I've done several times.

Name:  1847411-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg
Views: 758
Size:  37.3 KB

Perpetual n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakester View Post
    I ride with a pair of Teva Cranks and love them. They feel like a pair of casual shoes but the sole is made for flat pedals. Comfortable enough to HAB IMO, which I've done several times.

Same here. Very comfortable shoes and they stick to the pedals quite well.
    When the chicks at school see how gay we are, they're gonna be all over us.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by Shakester View Post

Comfort is not the important feature for hike-a-bike sections. You need some grip, and unless you are just on clean hard rock those do not have much.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    I was looking at Teva and really like their stuff from what I've seen/read. Teva Links seem like a winner!

Pinners seemed better until I read they were less stiff - can anyone comment?

EDIT: Missed the post about the work boots. I don't think I could handle that much weight. Like I said, these need to be shoes for 6+/- hr rides.