Trail Ninja

Flat pinned pedals ripping my lower calf up

I'm looking for some durable shin pads that wrap around my shin and calf and protect my lower legs (shin/calf to ankle area) from my platform pedals. I don't mind if they're on the warm side, as long as they offer decent protection and durability in the back too. Preferably something that won't get snagged by pedal pins. Or maybe an ankle brace or something.

Not really looking to get DH/moto pants or longer socks to help with the issue.

I'm currently using Race Face Flank knee/shin guards and the only protection is a loose velcro band in the area my lower calves have been getting ripped up whenever I walk and stand beside my bike. I plan on switching back to Kyle Straight Knee pads to pair up with shin guards.

Anyone have any recommendations for shin guards or ankle braces that might suit what I'm looking for? Hoping for something that runs almost full length from where the knee guards stop (Kyle Straight Knee pads) to the top of my shoes (5.10 Karvers) and wraps all the way around, front to back, with some shielding up front and a durable material wrapping around doesn't snag or rip easily if snagged.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I started wearing tall wool socks whenever I ride. This has been enough protection to keep the thrashing of my legs to a minimum.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Lizard Skins Shinguard at JensonUSA.com they work great and wrap all the way around.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I use the 661 veggies... they seem to work well for me

USB Rep'n
    Personally, I think the WTP Fuse shin guards and knee pads are really tough to beat. Comfortable, low profile, and good protection. They look decent as well if you care about that kinda stuff.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

It's all about the FSR!
    Are clipless pedals out of the question? I am guessing that you are doing more downhill than XC, so that probably won't work. Just throwing it out as an option.

Trail Ninja
    The 661 veggies are a little short, but do wrap around nicely.

I like the tallness of the Lizard Skins, but they actually don't wrap all the way around. The Lizard Skin Softcell version does, but it's not as tall and I do not like the bold logos

WTP Fuse looks like a decent candidate. Wish I could find a local dealer with one.

I prefer platforms over clipless. I ride a bit too aggressively around exposure, surfing within ruts and taking corners at speeds quite a few notches above comfortable and feel that dabbing is a skill that can be used to improve lap times and allow you to clear technical sections with stability and quickness (feels like cheating, but no shame there when it's so beneficial).

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Just learn to walk your bike....?

mtbr member
    What are you doing that tears your calves up? I've had my shins hit plenty of times, but never the back of my legs

Trail Ninja
    Basically, finding things that can't necessarily be ridden up, but can be ridden down. It's typically once I get to the top and have my bike to my side, looking down, or when I turn my bike around in a tight area, do I sometimes accidentally have the left pedal hit my right calf or in the Achilles tendon area, especially if I'm a bit exhausted.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ak_cowboy View Post
    What are you doing that tears your calves up? I've had my shins hit plenty of times, but never the back of my legs
    The pedal can easily swing around and catch your calf when you smack your pedal into a rock. I received a 1cm deep cut about 1.5" long and a 4x4" bruise; took forever to heal and left a nasty scar.
    Current Ride:
    Ibis Mojo SL-R - Medium - South Beach White
    '11 Specialized Roubaix Compact Rival

mtbr member
    ok, I gotcha now.

Trail Ninja
    Apparently, I need to work on getting massive calves. The larger sized 661 Veggies are tall enough, but there's so much excess velcro wrap at the top and little actual velcro touching that I'd need to do some modding to get it to work. I feel like ranting about how companies make smaller sized stuff not fit taller skinny folk, instead aiming to fit the 5' folk. I notice the same with 28-30" waist shorts having much shorter inseams than 30-32"...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Take them to a tailor or shoe repair place. They can adjust the straps. Usually costs under $10 per leg.