mtbr member
    May 2009

FiveTen Hellcats and CB Acids and Mallets

I tried running Hellcats and Mallets and was having a hard time getting in and out of the pedals. Anyone else have this problem? Thanks.

MarkyMark
    I had the same problem with Mallets and my Shimano DX shoes. I added the shim, made sure the cleats were in the easy release orientation and it's been working great!

S&G CREW
    Feb 2008
    I had same prob when i got new shoes.They were the same as old shoes but just needed a shim.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks, I'll try shims.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    DefInately need shims, 2-3 in fact.
    2014 SJ Expert EVO Carbon 29er

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I thought i was going crazy. I have crashed so many times since using the hellcat / cb mallet combo. Bashed my knee so bad on a technical uphill. I used to use spd for like 5 years then liked flats for a while. Then tried cb mallets with hellcats for the first time and have like 6 crashes. I ride aggressive am type technical stuff but dang i cant believe how i just cant clip out of these mallets. Try more shims? Im only using 1. Someone said try 2-3? I even dremmeled and razored out tons of rubber on the soles. Not sure but i am not liking something here. Try different shoes, pedals, etc? 661 spd and my shimano spd platforms were fine. I could jump, bail, drop off, click out on any ride. Hellcat and cb mallets i crashed on an uphill and just about needed knee surgery. 2-3 weeks later and feeling better. I cant kneel on hard surfaces. Anyways, just wondered if it was just me or what.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I'm rocking the 5.10 Minnaar's (same as Hellcats) with 1 shim and the cleats oriented at the easy 15deg release...I also have the pins on my mallets almost flush with the pedal surface...that seems to have worked well for me at least...

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by trail.head View Post
    I'm rocking the 5.10 Minnaar's (same as Hellcats) with 1 shim and the cleats oriented at the easy 15deg release...I also have the pins on my mallets almost flush with the pedal surface...that seems to have worked well for me at least...
    Yeah, i made the allen screws flush as well. When i ride around the house it seems decent enough so that i feel confident. But if i need to just get out in a hurry, they are impossible. Not sure if it is just muscle memory from the SPD's or what. I could get out of anything quick with the SPD's. I could pull up a bit at an angle with the SPD's and get out. Not so with the Mallets. It is heel out directly sideways or nothing. Maybe it is just me. But i am going to try my SPD's again but need new cleats. I dont care to be superglued to the pedals, but just need them for climbing mostly. I would love to just switch pedals at the top. Not gonna happen though. I like how SPD's are adjustable. Mallets arent.