mtbr member

FiveTen BA51C Shoes

How stiff is the sole on the FiveTen BA51C? I have a pair of the Impacts but they are too clunky. The tongue is like 2 inches thick and my foot goes numb. The traction and stiffness are awesome but I feel like I'm wearing moon boots.

I'm looking for a shoe that has the stiffness and grip of the Impacts but without the mondo tongue. The BA51C looks like it would fit the bill but what about the sole? Vans without the padded tongue have good grip but the sole is too soft and I can feel the pins poking through after a few rides. Any suggestions.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Banned

EastBaySteez
    Try and get some steel inserts.
    That'll solve the pins in the foot and extra stiffness!
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

mtbr member
    May 2008
    They're not stiff at all. I only use them for casual rides around the city. You can feel the pedal though the sole and there's not much support, so pedaling is not as efficient as it could be. Also, i have pretty short pins on my pedals but there are already holes in my sole.

Fort Valley = Gnarl Fest
    I was just looking at them in a shop 2 days ago and they felt fairly stiff. I didnt ride in them but allot stiffer than say Van Roulies sp*

also they are non-marking so your room mates dont kill you for destroying the linoleum in your kitchen....
    OMG GUISE IT HAZ A AIER SHOCK WTF OO DUZ THAT?!?!?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Bump..for more feedback.

I was leaning toward the impacts..but they DO look clunky......whar are some more 510 options that would be grat with spike platforms.

Somebody mentioned Vans Rowley's...............do these fit the bill?

Bike Ninja |||
    Five Ten is coming out with a new shoe called the Freeride, that looks like a basic DC brand shoe, but is stiff like the impacts, yet casual. expect them to be in shops soon..

As far as the Baisic shoes, they are not that stiff once broken in.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

Petty and weak
    Try lacing your Impacts less tightly?
    ~ Downride and Freehill, nothing else ~

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    When i rode flats, and did some urban riding, and dirt jumps i ****ing LOVED my old Etnies. I forget what model they are, but they are similar to the new Arto 2's ,maybe the originall Arto. It has a "since 1986" tag on them. But they were slim, and comfortable. Thin sole, so you could feel the pedals really nicely, but a padded tongue so they were really comfortable.

You also might want to check out some of La Sportiva's approach shoes and 5.10 Approach shoes.

Moose Enthusiast
    Feb 2006
    go on the fiveten website and look at any of their approach shoes, they all work for biking as long as they have fairly consistent and smaller tread. just stay away from shoes that have tread like hiking boots because the tread works against you because its so big, look at the guide tennie.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chooofoojoo
    Five Ten is coming out with a new shoe called the Freeride, that looks like a basic DC brand shoe, but is stiff like the impacts, yet casual. expect them to be in shops soon..

As far as the Baisic shoes, they are not that stiff once broken in.
    Got any ideas on release dates?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The freerider won't be out until spring 2009.

Underweight Rider
    i wear a pair of New Balance all terrain 570, maybe you shoud try google them. Not too much at under 50bucks a pair. One word....they are grippy.

TLL
    mtbr member

Marz bomber

Quote Originally Posted by jkish

I'm looking for a shoe that has the stiffness and grip of the Impacts but without the mondo tongue.
    I have THE answer to your question. The Marz Bomber shoe ( made by 5.10) has a thinner tongue that does not numb your foot like a skate shoe will. I have a pair and love em, was going to go with the 5.10 but the tongue was way too thick. Same exact sole as the 5.10.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TLL
    I have THE answer to your question. The Marz Bomber shoe ( made by 5.10) has a thinner tongue that does not numb your foot like a skate shoe will. I have a pair and love em, was going to go with the 5.10 but the tongue was way too thick. Same exact sole as the 5.10.
    That might be the ticket. Is the sizing similar to the 5.10s?. They run a bit small.
    Banned

-> SickLines.com <-
    Five ten was showing the freerider off at interbike,

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_biker
    Five ten was showing the freerider off at interbike,

awesome/ Im contacting my rep about those tomorrow!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    that's it... it's official... the 80s has returned... not so sure I'm happy about that in this case

TLL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkish
    That might be the ticket. Is the sizing similar to the 5.10s?. They run a bit small.
    Same exact sizing, as the footbeds are identical. Try a pair on to see if the tongue is what you are looking for.

I do hear the basic shoes have a fairly grippy sole, but I would think they're not as grippy as the stealth rubber.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

Bikes Rule
    The BA51C are not that bad. I had a crapload of different shoes, all with the same issue - pedals killed them. Went through 3 pairs of van's in like 6 months. I rode Van 1/2 Cab's which were my favorite shoe and the waffle bottom got shewed in 4 rides. They were toasted.

I got the BA51C and liked them so much I bought a second pair and put them in the closet. They fit like the 1/2 Cabs without as high of an ankle. They are sort of flexy, but I only use them for indoor park and DJ. I really like them a lot and they have lasted. They have the same gip as my Impacts.

I will be purchasing a kit of the 5.10 sole repair and redo the bottom of the Vans with the 5.10 rubber.