Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Five. Ten's

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011

Five. Ten's

I'm considering returning these shoes that I just recently purchased. It feels like there might be a bit too much play with the gaps between the gums of the shoe.

I don't ride SPD and I am considering getting some Low Impact Five. Ten shoes.
    My question is, how are they on a hot day?
    I live on the Central Coast of California, and we get some mild weather in the 70s and 80s. I'll certainly be riding during this summertime, and it can get up to the 90s and low 100s in some areas. I've got some Smartwool socks and a few other running socks that have good ventilation that helps protect from sweaty-swamp foot. But how do these hold up?
    I've got some Straitline platform pedals on my bike. Feel like I should just state that.

Dirt Deviant
    The 5-10 shoes are great.
    I have a couple pairs of Impact Low.
    Haven't really had a problems with them being too hot, but I tend to not ride much when it gets over 90.
    Proper socks when it gets hot outside is going to be important with any shoe.
    The padding on the Impacts is very thick, yet light weight, and seems to vent pretty well.
    I like em so much, I actually bought a second pair for work shoes.
    The stiff sole supports are great after a long day walking around on tile/concrete in the bike shop.
    I should add that my feet don't really get hot like some peoples do, so YMMV.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by savagemann View Post
    The 5-10 shoes are great.
    I have a couple pairs of Impact Low.
    Haven't really had a problems with them being too hot, but I tend to not ride much when it gets over 90.
    Proper socks when it gets hot outside is going to be important with any shoe.
    The padding on the Impacts is very thick, yet light weight, and seems to vent pretty well.
    I like em so much, I actually bought a second pair for work shoes.
    The stiff sole supports are great after a long day walking around on tile/concrete in the bike shop.
    I should add that my feet don't really get hot like some peoples do, so YMMV.
    Last night, before your response, I decided I would get them. I appreciate the extra insight.
    My feet do not tend to be the kind that sweat a whole lot, so I don't think it will be a big problem. I have plenty of smartwool socks, and from what I have heard and from experience, those fight off sweat.

I thought a little more about riding in the 90s, and I realized I'll probably just have down days when it gets like that. It tends to stay cooler on the coastal areas, it is just inland that gets really hot.

Dirt Deviant
    Cool deal.
    I wear wool socks year round.
    I have super thin ones for hot days, and thick ones for when it is cold and or wet, and other varying thicknesses for mild climates.
    Wool socks are the best!!!! My feet never get stinky when I wear em.

I live inland, and it can get pretty hot here in the Bay Area.
    It's not uncommon for it get get above 100 in the middle of summer.
    Thats why all my buddies and I have stocked up on good light systems, since we do most of our riding in summer during the evenings.

Let us know how you like the 5-10's.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Regularly riding in 100* weather here in Austin, rocking the high-top Rennies that were on Chainlove a few years back...don't notice them to be too hot, and they are overbuilt high top skate style shoes...
    That being said, they just saw their last ride and some Spitfires showed up here over the weekend.

Dirt Deviant
    Nice.
    I just wish they made their whole lineup of shoes in size 14.
    I really want a pair of spitfires.
    They only have select models in 14 though......= (

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Cool deal.
    I wear wool socks year round.
    I have super thin ones for hot days, and thick ones for when it is cold and or wet, and other varying thicknesses for mild climates.
    Wool socks are the best!!!! My feet never get stinky when I wear em.

I live inland, and it can get pretty hot here in the Bay Area.
    It's not uncommon for it get get above 100 in the middle of summer.
    Thats why all my buddies and I have stocked up on good light systems, since we do most of our riding in summer during the evenings.

Let us know how you like the 5-10's.
    A few years back I stocked up on a dozen Smartwool socks, and they are all still worn by me. Got a couple of other brands too. They really are helpful.

And I'll let you know how they are. Either returning them today or tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Nice.
    I just wish they made their whole lineup of shoes in size 14.
    I really want a pair of spitfires.
    They only have select models in 14 though......= (
    have you checked out Vans' Gravel? og skate style but 5.10 sticky. it's their mtb flat pedal shoe not their Warner spud shoe. same price..
    don't sweat the petty things & don't pet the sweaty things

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Got some Freerider 5 10s, going to see how they are. They had some really bad ratings on the reviews, but there were only three written up. I've disagreed with reviews before, but I hope I didn't make a mistake on these. I didn't get the Impact ones because they didn't have size 12 in stock and I felt like being impatient.

mtbr member
    Love my freeriders. Absolutely no complaints.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim-H View Post
    Love my freeriders. Absolutely no complaints.
    That's good to hear. I just went on a ride with them and enjoyed them so much that I doubled back up the hill I came down and did it again. I only intended to do a short ride, but it became a little bit longer. They really do grip amazingly upon my Straitline pedals.

You should write up a review on them in the review section to bring up the rating on them so that people interested in 5 10 shoes are not automatically dissuaded from purchasing them. I know I will be writing one in a few more rides time.

Here's a link to make it easier
    http://www.mtbr.com/cat/mtb-apparel-...46_144crx.aspx

Just Empty Every Pocket
    Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    I'm considering returning these shoes that I just recently purchased. It feels like there might be a bit too much play with the gaps between the gums of the shoe.
    Are those Inov8s?

mtbr member
    im very happy with the freeriders. i have about 5 rides in them. you have to lift your foot off the pedals to re-position them.

has anyone tried the Vans Gravel shoe? id like to get my girlfriend a good platform pedal shoe that arent as thick as the 5.10s...

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TRAUMAhead View Post
    Are those Inov8s?
    Yeah, they are. They're great shoes in my opinion, I just didn't like the fit on the pedal. That much should have initially been obvious because of the gaps on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfruits View Post
    im very happy with the freeriders. i have about 5 rides in them. you have to lift your foot off the pedals to re-position them.

has anyone tried the Vans Gravel shoe? id like to get my girlfriend a good platform pedal shoe that arent as thick as the 5.10s...
    I haven't tried the Gravel shoe, but you should write a review on your 5 10 Freerider shoes.
    They have a 1.5/5 on here, and it would be great to have more informative reviews so the 1.5 doesn't dissuade people. The only problem I see possible with mine is the stitching coming undone, but I believe that is covered under warranty.
    I'm going to write up my review somewhat soon, once I have more rides in.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfruits View Post

me.about 5 mos & love 'em! use Impacts also. Use the Vans just as much. switch from full sus trail to dj 4X bike to skate longboards! no worries. Really light shoe. I almost went with another pair of 510s, the freeriders but took a chance on these. Not quite the support/stiffness as a pair of Impacts but i feel more versatile than the Freeriders. plus ol skool plain classic Vans style. yes, they're sticky. don't remember what they call the compound they use.
    don't sweat the petty things & don't pet the sweaty things

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

love the 5-10 Sam Hills

I have tried trail shoes and spds and I really like the Sam Hills. They stick and food stays planted and when I have to hike a bike I dont have to worry about rocks wedged in the bottom. Buy the right tool/apparrel for the job.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    You should write up a review on them in the review section to bring up the rating ...[/url]
    Will do. I think i originally planned to after I had a few rides in, just slipped my mind.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kooshbal View Post
    I have tried trail shoes and spds and I really like the Sam Hills. They stick and food stays planted and when I have to hike a bike I dont have to worry about rocks wedged in the bottom. Buy the right tool/apparrel for the job.
    Definitely. My friend rides in som vans that are so old that the grips on the bottom are completely smoothed out. I'm sure he'll buy a new pair soon, at least I hope he does. I had heard that the Sam Hill shoes were just Impact ones that had been colored differently. Does anyone know whether this is fact or jus a rumor?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim-H View Post
    Will do. I think i originally planned to after I had a few rides in, just slipped my mind.
    Can't blame you, I had to write it down on a sticky note to remember. I sure have a lot of sticky notes sitting around.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    The Impact low and Sam Hill and very similar. They have the exact same sole on them. The only difference is the outer materials that the shoe is made from and the Sam Hill has a higher ankle guard just by a few cm. Personally I like the look of the Hill's a lot better.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    At my local shuttle mountain, pretty much 1 out of 2 DH riders is on five tens. Everyone i have talked to loves them but say they take a while to get used to. Mainly when they take a foot off and then put it back on the pedal it is so grippy that it's hard to adjust your foot placement if you don't get it right when you put your foot back on. My experience is limited to trying on a buddies shoes and riding a parking lot but I could definitely feel that is had much more grip than my skate shoes.

Trail Ninja
    My 5.10 Freeriders stink after a ride, but never get soggy with sweat, in recent 90+F SoCal weather. The only time they get uncomfortable is when they fill up with sand, gravel, thorns, and other bits of nature. I wear NLZwear socks with them. They usually lose the smell for the next ride, after airing them out overnight.

I'm getting the Karvers when these die.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    My 5.10 Freeriders stink after a ride, but never get soggy with sweat, in recent 90+F SoCal weather. The only time they get uncomfortable is when they fill up with sand, gravel, thorns, and other bits of nature. I wear NLZwear socks with them. They usually lose the smell for the next ride, after airing them out overnight.

I'm getting the Karvers when these die.
    I usually leave mine outside at night and spray them with some antibacterial stuff the next day.
    I do notice that more of the trail ends up inside of them compared to my nike running shoes, but I definitely enjoy the grip more.
    You should write up a review on what you think of them. They had a rather bad rep for a while.

Austin, Texas
    I have recently gone back to flats and am real interested in the 5 10's. Just can't decide which one. Almost every shoe I had for awhile was black, so not really wanting the Impact's. Looking more at the Baron, Sam Hill's, Grey Freerider's, and the Tennie's. Any thoughts on the differences in these guys? I'm kinda leaning towards the Tennie's, then I waffle.

Trail Ninja
    I recommend the Karvers. They have a sole that seems better shaped to grip the pedals (like the Impact; Freeriders are flat like skate shoes) and have a more durable build overall. Only $20 more, but you get a much longer lasting shoe and more grip and protection. Easy to clean--I wet it with a hose, hit it with a soapy brush real quick, and rinse with a hose again. Less crap gets inside and the annoying pricker thingees don't have much to stick to. More ankle support too, for those odd rear tire first landings off of 5'+ drops in which you can't use much of your upper body to absorb the impact.

This is what the Freerider looks like after a day out in SoCal trails in the summer sometimes. Notice the hole my toe blew out in the left shoe (counts as tearing and not eligible for warranty). Compared to a set of Karvers after a quick rinse.

Can get them on sale at HucknRoll using a $20 off $100 coupon. HnR only has the blue ones (newest model), but the red ones look cool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Five. Ten's-fivetenfreerider2.jpg  

Five. Ten's-fivetenkarver.jpg  

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    I would recommend Karvers. I like my freeriders a lot, but the Karver has some obvious advantages.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast