mtbr member

Five Ten SPD Shoe question

Starting to realize that I need better shoes for riding flats. Would it be worth it to get the Five Tens that are spd compatible so when I eventually feel comfortable enough to try clipless I'd already have the shoes?

Are the those shoes going to be any less comfortable riding flats because they are spd ready?

Any other brand suggestions for flats? Thanks

mtbr member
    five tens all the way
    When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hang on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hankscorpio View Post
    Starting to realize that I need better shoes for riding flats. Would it be worth it to get the Five Tens that are spd compatible so when I eventually feel comfortable enough to try clipless I'd already have the shoes?

Are the those shoes going to be any less comfortable riding flats because they are spd ready?

Any other brand suggestions for flats? Thanks
    Why do you feel the need to eventually go with clipless?
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    I dont feel the need to but I'm interested to try it. Basically wondering if the there is any set back to riding a shoe like that for either situation. For example they are flats with the ability to put a cleat on so does that mean it doesn't do as well for flats or clipless as shoes designed specifically for one or the other?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Have a pair of Maltese Falcons (SPD ready) been using for over a year. Used them strictly as flats for MTB, works great. Just ordered a road bike that will see some light dirt duty so may set them up for the clips.

mtbr member
    Just get some clipless and stop worrying. If you buy Shimano pedals they have a multi release cleat that makes it impossible to not get out of. Then you can just change to their standard cleat when you're ready. If you read on the forums too much people will scare you into thinking that you're going to die with clipless. I came from a riding road and never considered not using clipless.