Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Which Five Ten Shoes??

Need help in selection guys- been riding my brand new Canondale with my Adidas Tennis shoes- definitely time for a change.

Liking the Minnaar (spelling?) Model. Your thoughts? Just general mtb'ing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    i like my karvers.. they seem to run 1/2 size large..

mtbr member
    May 2012
    They seemed 1/2 a size small to me. Usually wear 11.5, had to move up to 12.

mtbr member
    Love my Sam Hill's. On my second pair and found the sizing to be spot on for me.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

ride all day
    Sep 2011

Which Five Ten Shoes??

I've got the impacts, I tried on tr free riders and they just kinda felt flimsy, in sure they would be great for dj and park. I've heard of many where the sole is coming off the shoe. If you want something burly and will last forever for for the impact or the karver (looks odd, functions well)

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I just hit up the local trails, nothing too extreme, no major downhills so I'm not sure if I would need something big and burly like the Impacts.

I've heard a lot of good things on the freeriders, anyone else?

mtbr member
    Love my Minaars but am holding out for the new Freerider XVI. Supposed to be lighter, stiffer, and just as grippy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    freeriders, great shoes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Might wait for the new freeriders too- I really like the way they look too!

mtbr member
    Minor hijack:

Any feedback on these?! Would like to use them for day hikes too.

Five Ten Insight Cross-Training Shoes - Men's - 2012 Closeout - Free Shipping at REI-OUTLET.com

mtbr member
    It gets VERY hot here in the summer. Whic Five Tens are coolest? But would Tevas be a better choice. These shoes would be used for CC and AM, not DH. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Anyone try the new Aescent?? It looks like an actual shoe instead of a balloon wrapped around your foot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    do they come in big sizes? 14-15

Steep on the Cheap
    I dig my Barons. I checked out the freeriders and they seemed a little more casual than I wanted, and the Impacts were too heavy duty. The Baron felt like it was right in the middle.

mtbr member
    Are the Barons well ventilated? Our summers are humid and hot.

Over the Hill
    I would think that if you are a serious rider any of the tennis shoe (van's) style shoes would hurt your feet pretty quick and probably get destroyed on the trail. Sole stiffness is important to get the power to the pedal. I was about to go for the Impact, but they were simply too bulky so I went for the Maltese Falcons.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The new Freerider VXi (available end of April) will be your best choice for a breath-ability.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I like the Barons- or at least how they look. I'm in Canada, so to find a local shop that has all the five ten shoes in stock, or even a few pairs to try on, is rather difficult. I'll have to make an online purchase and HOPE that I made an informed decision.

Steep on the Cheap
    Quote Originally Posted by spirit4earth View Post
    Are the Barons well ventilated? Our summers are humid and hot.
    Not particularly well ventilated, but not particularly bad either.

I'm in South Florida, though. Every shoe gives you swamp foot.

mtbr member
    Etnies Marana is a great flat pedal shoe... Technically built for skate but its the best I have used.

mtbr member
    I have the Impacts and like them so far... I've only had them for a month.

I've pretty much worn out my TEVA Links. Now those are comfortable! But wearing on flats with aggressive pins really tears up the soles... at least for me, but after 1+ yrs of wearing them on almost every ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I am on the 3rd year of my impacts. I found them to wear in great and not be too bulky once worn. I use them for trail riding and DH and they are super durable and help protect my feet. I don't notice if they are hotter than the rest of my body during the summer, I am always pouring with sweat.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I alternate between the Danny Mckaskill and the Sam Hill.Love the blue color on the Mckaskills. The Sam Hill is an odd mix of green and white but they are growing on me,

I wear a 12 EEE and at first I found both to be a bit snug in a size 12.

However they seem to give a bit and are now pretty comfy.

Funny, i would never spend $125 on dress shoes for work but didn't think twice about my 5 10 for biking.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011

Re: Which Five Ten Shoes??

My pair of freeriders are 1 & 1/2 years old now and still rock.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I have the green and white Sam hill's. A little bulky, but they stick great with my Canfield ultimate pedals. True to size.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    For all but DH I have been using the Spitfires. Very comfortable and stick real well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I got a pair of Freerides about 2 weeks ago, and they are totally fantastic! Never felt grip like it!

It's been cold and miserable here in the UK so haven't really experienced how hot they make you yet.

I'd buy them again, and trying to find a girlyish pair for my wife, but the female five tens just look ridiculous, especially for a 49 year old woman!

Cheers

Chris

mtbr member
    I'm leaning towards the Freeriders, too. Although the Teva Links and Shimano's AM41 are also high on the list. I wouldn't get the women's version because they'd be too narrow for me, I think. I have wide feet!

mtbr member
    The new Freerider VXI are starting to become available, tons of good improvements over the standard Freerider. Probably picking up a pair soon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    i'm going to plug the Guide Tennies for riding. they're considered an "approach" shoe but they're my favorite biking shoe and i've owned several pairs over the years, mostly for rockclimbing (which they do surprisingly well) but they are my main riding shoe now. they have a canvas version now but i haven't tried those. i've had a pair of enforcers and a pair of freerides; i liked them but the GTs are narrower in profile so they don't get worked by my cranks like the bulkier, skate-style freerides/enforcers did (blowing out at the interior cuff just below my ankle). plus, i'm pretty sure they use stickier rubber on the GTs than on their mountain bike shoes.

edit: just looked at my Freerides which i still wear occasionally. no blow outs at either ankle. there's a nice thick strip of leather there that seems to with stand crankrub (crankrub, lol). overall, they're in really good shape. still like my Guide Tennies better but the Freerides have held up well.

mtbr member
    impacts if pedalling is important(stiffer last) and little or no trick jumping. great very lightweight alternative to freeriders are Vans Gravels. style and semi-sticky points!

mtbr member
    I ordered some Freeriders from 6pm------hopefully they'll fit!

banned
    Apr 2013
    I am using this XTRM WATERPROOF MOTORCYCLE MOTORBIKE shoes from last two years they are still perfect ...(I am a bike rider).

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Impact 2's are bulletproof. Stiff, super tacky. Only drawback is they are a little bulky, but so am I so I don't really notice. May be an issue for some of you little guys

EMBA Member
    Freeriders for the past couple months. Only downside so far is they soak up water and get heavy in the wet. I use a ski boot dryer for them and my gloves, as it's generally wet here in the Seattle area for much of the year. Sticky and stiff enough for good power transfer, yet fairly comfortable to wear around before and after a ride. I'm happy with the purchase.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spirit4earth View Post
    I ordered some Freeriders from 6pm------hopefully they'll fit!

6pm has a good exchange policy. that's where i got mine from for $60.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I plan on going with the spank spike pedals- would the new freeriders work well with these? Since I started this thread, I think I'm gonna wait on getting the new shoes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I have Spanks. Also wear the 5 10 McKaskills. Why not get the Spanks in blue and McKaskills to match the pedals.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I've been running the new Freerider VXi with Spank Spike pedals and they work great.

RideDirt
    Im in love with my freeriders , they are soo comfy .. I would love to wear them out too. They grip good .

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    5:10 AEscent or Evolve Cruzer, both super light with sticky climbing sole.

mtbr member
    I had to return my Freeriders to 6pm because they were too short. I think they run small. Now I'm trying to decide between between Freeriders and Spitfires-----I've read that the Spitfires are narrower, which wouldn't be good. It's looking like I'll have to go with zappos for the return policy, but sadly have to pay full retail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I like the Freeriders (Danny MacAskill version). They're a big improvement over the originals, stiffer sole and harder toecap, stuff like that. I took a look at the new Freeride Xvi's, and while they look cool, I'm still glad I got my Freeriders when I did. I wear them everywhere, they've become my go to shoe, so they'll probably end up looking like the XVi's eventually anyway.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Kshawn View Post
    I like the Freeriders (Danny MacAskill version). They're a big improvement over the originals, stiffer sole and harder toecap, stuff like that. I took a look at the new Freeride Xvi's, and while they look cool, I'm still glad I got my Freeriders when I did. I wear them everywhere, they've become my go to shoe, so they'll probably end up looking like the XVi's eventually anyway.
    So true...I've two pairs of impacts and the bottoms look like chewed up versions of the new XVi !

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I wore my new VX1s for the first time this morning, 16 miles semi urban, on DMR Vaults, having been wearing Freerides for the last 3 or 4 weeks. Both are great, but the VX1s just win for pedalling and stiffness. Freerides are now my off bike shoes, they are so comfy, and 'cos they look so cool!

Chris

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I wear freeriders and really like them. I can tell a huge difference since I have started wearing over regular running shoes.

mtbr member
    Freeriders! Those things grip and they are the most comfortable shoes I've ever had. After 2 years of riding and casual wearing they're still in great shape!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Freerider and spanks here. Awesome combo. Stiff and sticks to the pedal.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I did quite a bit of research and knew I wanted fivetens. I ended up getting the Freeriders. I wear a size 12 in everything and they fit me great. Sizing seems spot on to me. They are comfy considering how stiff the sole is. I wear them to work (electrician) occasionally and on every ride for the past 2 years. They havnt even started showing signs of wear and the grip on my pedals is just awesome. I just love the freedom of flats. I ride XC trails up here in the north east. Flowy singletrack.

A buddy of mine uses the Impacts and he likes them. He likes them a lot. I just preferred the more casual look of the freeriders.

mtbr member
    It's good to know the Freeriders do well for XC. That's what I ride here in WNC. I ordered some Freeriders and some Teva Pinners; I'll keep whichever ones fit best.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast