Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: five ten shoes

mtbr member

five ten shoes

Who's got em? Who loves them?

I'm considering the Impact, Sam Hill, and the Maltese Falcon.

Anyone have any experience with these?

Impact, and Sam Hill look the same, but I like that there is some style to the Sam Hill's.

I really like the Maltese Falcon.. its a SPD shoe, but I'm wondering if it can also be a platform pedal shoe? This would be perfect for me as I run both. Getting more into platform pedals for more rugged terrain (I like to throw a foot down on big obstacles, and corners sometimes), and for long flowy rides, I like to clip in. These would be perfect, but I want to make sure they are going to stick on my platforms (My shins will thank me for this)...

Any input, experience??

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Anyone have any experience with the above?

Here are the new Maltese Falcons

Five Ten | Maltese Falcon

Think these would work for straight platform shoes, as well as SPD shoes?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    In my experience it's hard to go wrong with 5.10. The Impacts were a bit too bulky/wide and stiff but stuck like glue. Recently got a pair of Freeriders and they are perfect. Great fit and super sticky. Best platform shoes I've ever had.

Gotta pay to play
    I had a pair of Karvers- they made my feet numb. Then I got a pair of Freeriders and they also make my feet numb. They are super sticky and I love them. Just seem to not work with my feet.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    I have to start by saying that there are well over a dozen threads on Five Ten shoes and that the search function is available to all for a reason.

I love my Five Ten Freerider shoes. Michaelscott said that they made his feet numb and they made mine a little numb too so I put in a SuperFeet Green insole and that took care of it.

The Maltese are designed to be used for both. You can actually cover up the recessed cleat if you want with a piece provided by Five Ten. They're a little heavy but I don't know how much you would really notice it.

mtbr member
    I've just ordered a pair of white tigers to replace my aging impacts. I checked out the maltese at the 5 10 booth while at the world cup races, it seemed like the sole would be too flexible for real climbing, so I bought shimano am45's. The maltese is probably ok for mostly gravity with the occasional climb.

74 & 29 pilot
    I have the Karver's and I love the sticky grip, stiff sole, over all protection, but my feet get hotter than hell on the warm days. Granted, I'll ride in temps up to about 100 degrees here in the Desert. They don't seem to have any ventilation in the toe area. They are great for protection on the rocky terrain I ride, but am looking at getting something a bit more breathable until winter's cooler temps. Does anyone have experience with the Spitfire or Cyclone?

I know those Tevas have a super ventilated upper toe box, but the colors are so hideous, even I can stand to have them on my feet!

MTBP
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    I grabbed some Impact 2's. They made the most sense, as I'll probably use them for hikers also. I've always hated the look of skater style shoes, so the Impacts will work for me. Thought about it, and I'll probably just use my SHimano clipless shoes for my SPD's anyway, so no sense in having both options.

Got my pedals yesterday, shoes should be here this weekend, excited to try em out!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I've got a few pair of five tens and all seem to be better suited for a wide foot. That said, many of their models are able to comfortably accomodate a narrow foot as well. The Cyclone has been great for the past four months that I have had them. They appear to be fairly durable, a problem five ten has struggled with for years, and are holding up well. I use them as an SPD but have not noticed any issues when jumping on other folks rides. They can however create problems as an SPD depending on what pedals you run due to the stickiness of the rubber. I've been running Time X-Roc S's with no issues. The Maltese Falcon I found to run larger than the Cyclone in an 11.5. I would have liked to have had the sole of the MF on the Cyclone. Maybe someday they will offer that...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The standard inner soles down have much arch protection so this is why your feet might be going numb. I'd get a replacement inner sole, there are loads of the market to try.

mtbr member
    i have a pair of the black/grey freeriders. they are really sticky, which is great. what is not so great is that they don't breathe at all. I wore these for riding in july and was sweating through them every time i rode.

mtbr member
    I switched from the Impacts to the Insights, which are actually
    five ten trail runing shoes but they work much better than the skate/BMX styles for
    hike and bike and have a better lug pattern that does not collect dirt like the standard circular pattern soles. They also stick like crazy and allow for better movement on the pedal.

czeck it out!

Five Ten | Insight

Metal Head Mt. Biker
    I got a pair of the Freeriders and I love them. They are very comfortable and grip really well. The only thing I don't necessarily love about them is the thickness of the tongue. It's pretty dang thick. I got the black/grey ones and they are sexy! Would easily wear them 24/7.
    Life is like riding a mountain bike. You have to pedal uphill for hours just to enjoy minutes of downhill.

mtbr member
    Another option is the new MTB shoe (with nice sticky sole) from Vans. The Gravel.
    They are black. +1
    They just lace up, no goofy flaps. +1
    They are black (did I mention that) +1
    They are made by a company that has been making shoes for over 30 years = comfy! +1

I own a couple pairs of 5.10 freeriders but wear my vans exclusively now.

Transition Bank
    Transition ToP
    Transition Covert

Austin, Texas
    I originally bought the Karver's. It was well over 100 deg every day here for months. They were just flat too hot and way too heavy. I returned them and was going to try the Freerider Scribbles, but the company that I ordered from was a big fail, and I will never use them again. I ended up with the Freerider White Tigers and they have been great. I love the stickyness, they transfer pedal power well, and they are fairly cool. They look pretty good, too, even if they are always covered in dust. The only advice I would give on 5/10's is to get at least true to your size; they tend to run just a bit small. Other than that, I love'em!!!

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by smokehouse4444 View Post
    I originally bought the Karver's. It was well over 100 deg every day here for months. They were just flat too hot and way too heavy. I returned them and was going to try the Freerider Scribbles, but the company that I ordered from was a big fail, and I will never use them again. I ended up with the Freerider White Tigers and they have been great. I love the stickyness, they transfer pedal power well, and they are fairly cool. They look pretty good, too, even if they are always covered in dust. The only advice I would give on 5/10's is to get at least true to your size; they tend to run just a bit small. Other than that, I love'em!!!
    Yeah, I can deal with my Karver's DHing when it's not over 90. I went and picked up the Spitfire 2s, and they are SO comfy and breathable!! Absolutely love em!

MTBP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails five ten shoes-remedy-dialed-51-.jpg  

MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    stopped using clipless/ clip-in pedals 5 years ago because i always experience right foot pain after long rides, which i attribute to sideways foot movement when clipping out, even with tension set at the lowest; fyi, i had a stress fracture in my right foot 8 years ago

been using shimano dx flat pedals ever since on all my bikes (XC full sus, 29er rigid, fixed gear) and i have not had foot pain since; relegated my clipless pedals to the trainer bike now

tried 5.10 impact 2, grip was really really awesome, but my main gripe is that it's so heavy, but then again, i only notice it when walking, not when i'm biking

grip on the ground is also very good when doing hike-a-bike

shifted to nike 6.0 oncore2, but still miss the 5.10 grip on- and off-bike

will wait for more input Re: lightweight 5.10's (compared to impact2) before buying another pair again

also, can anyone please comment Re: durability?

during wet season, my shoes regularly gets dunked in mud/ water so i usually use 2 pairs on alternate riding days to allow the other to dry
    biker boy

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    What's the difference between the impacts and the sam hills besides color? Is the sam hill a stiffer sole? ??
    '14 Yeti SB95c--Pike'd

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Had the Maltese Falcons for over 3 months now. Havn't even used them as SPD's yet but I like the option there for when I do want to go clipless. They are light, tough, sticky and not as gaudy as some others so a quick wipe down and they look great for casual wear.

mtbr member
    My loyal Karver, time for honorary retirement after one year of abuse riding...
    Time to get a new 5Ten.

they took the bar
    A fellow MTBer hooked me up, and I recently purchased the five ten low impact. they fit up great, and stick like glue.

I'm happy to have moved from the clipless setup, over to platforms. And the five ten shoes are the bomb!

mtbr member
    My new 5 ten

I4NI
    I have the impact sam hill on order
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

SamIAm
    i have sick pair of vintage 5.10 rennie hi tops that look like old school air jordans in black and red. excellent ankle protection and elastic lace grabber. basically the bestestestest ever
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

05 SxT: totemcoil, dhxair, juicycarbons, LXcranks, X9kit, halo freedomdisc, deity compound pedals

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I got a pair of Vans in good condition at the thrift store to save the wear and tear on my FiveTens for just riding around the landfill lot next to my house. Now I know why I paid the $100 for the Maltese Falcons. Night and day difference.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast