Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Five ten shoes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Five ten shoes.

I prefer to ride platforms when doing all mountain, or DH riding. I have heard really good things about fiveten shoes. I was just wondering which model shoes people have tried. I am looking at their mountain biking shoes, but actually what caught my attention was their daescent rock climbing shoe. They look like this...

If you look at the shoe it has a flat front made of really high friction rubber, this doesnt seem like a bad shoe at all for platforms. Although they do make mountain biking shoes that look more like this...

Let me know if you have any thoughts...especially if you have used fiveten shoes before!

Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I haven't seen that shoe before. But if it's a rock climbing shoe, the sole may not be stiff enough for a bike shoe.

I have a couple variations of the Impact and they work great. I've heard others rave about the Basic too, should be a little lighter and less bulky than the Impact.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I use 5/10 Rennies. I like the Rennies because they are a mid top and it gives nice cushion around the ankles.

mtbr member
    5/10's are great. I have the mountain bike version and trail hiking version. Both great shoes.

Get the mountain bike specific version for biking. The climbing shoe lacks the stiffness of the bike shoe and looks like would be a compromise on hike a bikes (unless you are climbing with your bike I guess).

You will not likely regret the bike 5/10's.

mtbr member

5.10, the black chili of mtb shoes

You're already enlightened to 5.10s.
    Impacts are super-supportive and stiff. It's their first real mtb shoe. Some may find it too chunky.
    I've just switched over to the ba51c... For me, it flexes more, but I don't mind... I like feeling the pedal through the sole just a bit. I still use the impacts.
    I can't speak for their climbing shoes as mtb shoes. I dig my Huecos for the vertical, though.

I want to check out the Freerider.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    how about the sam hill 2's? anyone tried those? I think I might go for something like that.

mtbr member
    i think sam's shoes are just a different colorway than reg Impacts. great shoes. I've had mine abused for awhile and they're holding up great. The Marzocchi Bomber shoe (made by 5.10) look a little better if u can find 'em.
    i really should type less and tread more

mtbr member
    I had my doubts when I felt the "stealth rubber" or whatever its called that it would stick like people said it does, but holy crap does it stick. I just started using Impact 2's and they are awesome. Clunky and kinda ugly, but they work great.

mtbr member
    Slightly left field this.

But there's companies will resole your existing shoes in Stealth rubber for about 1/3-1/2 the price of a pair of 5-10's. Looking on Stealth rubber's website will tell you who your nearest is.
    I've had it done on my Vans and it works a treat.

It's a thought if you like the shoes you already have or (like me) have feet that don't come in 5-10 friendly sizes.

mtbr member
    5.10 impacts are the ones most people use for biking - although a few use their climbing shoes with good results as well.

Interesting idea on the re-sole option. I dont find the 510s too expensive to begin with (under $100CDN). But I do have an old pair of vans that have a way better color scheme that I may look into that.....

EDIT - sweet, jsut checked out the resole option, there is a place 5 minutes walk from where I live that does it! Awesome suggestion F.T.S.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    if your gonna run a platform pedal NOTHING beats a pair of 5.10s! I have 2 seasons on mine(and i ride almost everyday as well as work trail crew in them) they are supportive grippy and man they protect you. i use the impact 2 low since i am on a budget but they are worth every penny i wont ride anything else for DH i like them so much i ride the 5.10s instead of clipless when i ride XC(i know clipless gives you more power) but I LOVE the 5.10s like i said they are worth every penny! i would skip the climbing shoes and get a pair of the biking ones.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I have been using the low rise impacts, they are great so I just picked up a pair of the california casuals BA51C nice and light great for xc and just kicking around the neighborhood.
    Last edited by synnie; 09-03-2009 at 09:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    What about wearing these shoes around town as well? (off the bike)

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade
    Slightly left field this.

But there's companies will resole your existing shoes in Stealth rubber for about 1/3-1/2 the price of a pair of 5-10's. Looking on Stealth rubber's website will tell you who your nearest is.
    I've had it done on my Vans and it works a treat.

It's a thought if you like the shoes you already have or (like me) have feet that don't come in 5-10 friendly sizes.

Didnt know this. I have a favorite pair of Audio's that would make perfect candidates for re-soling. I like my Rennies, but having a second option is always good.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Flynnster
    What about wearing these shoes around town as well? (off the bike)
    Impacts are comfortable enough for all-around wear. Make great hiking shoes too.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    also check out the Karver which is the Impact low rise with ankle padding on the pedal side and the standard low cut on the outside. Not quite as good for hiking but better for biking , same exact Stealth sole as the std Impact of course
    oh and the Karvers are available in womens sizes and colors if you're into pink and purple
    2011 Canfield ONE 200mm DH 35 pounds
    2010 Specialized Pitch 100% non stock 29 lbs
    Wife: 2009 Canfield ONE also 29 lbs

lotto baby
    i'm a rock climber - those shoes are what climbers (and maybe 5.10) call 'approach shoes'. they are really stiff. i would really recommend trying them on first. its not what you would expect.

rock shoes of these type have a very stiff toe box, and usually a really stiff midsole as well. this gives a climber the ability to stand on their toes much easier to toe in on smaller foot holds, but they are not boardlasted, so there is some flex to the shoes to make it more comfortable to hike up to a crag.

i have owned approach shoes and currently own a pair of the 5.10 freeriders - there's a difference between them, so i would go for the shoes designed for mtn biking personally.
    i spurt in the wind, and the wind drug it

..quite rightly

5-10 Impacts

I've been using the Sam Hill version for some time. Great shoe. No need for toe-clips with these. The sole looks like that one in the OP. They're great for hiking, too.

mtbr member
    Just bought a pair of the 5.10 freeriders. Am very happy with those. They fit well, feel good, grip well, etc.

Tried a pair of Karvers earlier in the summer. I had trouble with the edge of that velcro lace-guard catching on my cranks as I pedaled. That was annoying. The Karvers also felt loose on my foot and rather clunky. They did grip well though. I'll give 'em that.

IMHO, take a hard look at the Freerider model. I picked up my pair from Zappos.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
    Just bought a pair of the 5.10 freeriders. Am very happy with those. They fit well, feel good, grip well, etc.

Tried a pair of Karvers earlier in the summer. I had trouble with the edge of that velcro lace-guard catching on my cranks as I pedaled. That was annoying. The Karvers also felt loose on my foot and rather clunky. They did grip well though. I'll give 'em that.

IMHO, take a hard look at the Freerider model. I picked up my pair from Zappos.
    I'm also eyeing the Freeriders for xc riding but worried they might be bulky like Vans skateboard shoes. How was it?

Mountain Lion Bait
    I have to pair of 5.10's. I use them for DH, AM, and riding my SS. They rock.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

5.10' are where it's as...apparently...

I've been thinking about making the switch from clipless to platforms recently, and in the research i've done the one thing that EVERYONE seems to agree upon is the use of 5.10 shoes. Everyone has a differnet platform pedal they use or prefer, but it seems like 99.9% use 5.10's....either the Impact or one of the other iterations of the Impact. Needless to say, i'm sold on the 5.10's, however i'm not a huge fan of the look of the Impact. Someone previously mentioned the Marzocchi Bomber shoe which is made by 5.10, has the same stealth rubber sole, but is a better looking shoe. It turns out, Jenson USA has them on close out right now...original MSRP was $129 and they're selling them for $89.99.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...mber+Shoe.aspx

Needless to say, I ordered some yesterday (in addition to a new full-face helmet, some knee/shins, and a set of Wellgo MG-1 platforms) which are supposed to get to me on the 9th. I'll be sure to post my thoughts and opinions sometime after that.
    Anyway, if you're looking into the 5.10's, check out the Bomber shoe as well...might float your boat better that the look of the 5.10 Impacts...

Alvin Caragay
    Hermosa Beach, CA

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by atchipmunk
    I've been thinking about making the switch from clipless to platforms recently, and in the research i've done the one thing that EVERYONE seems to agree upon is the use of 5.10 shoes. Everyone has a differnet platform pedal they use or prefer, but it seems like 99.9% use 5.10's....either the Impact or one of the other iterations of the Impact. Needless to say, i'm sold on the 5.10's, however i'm not a huge fan of the look of the Impact. Someone previously mentioned the Marzocchi Bomber shoe which is made by 5.10, has the same stealth rubber sole, but is a better looking shoe. It turns out, Jenson USA has them on close out right now...original MSRP was $129 and they're selling them for $89.99.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...mber+Shoe.aspx

Needless to say, I ordered some yesterday (in addition to a new full-face helmet, some knee/shins, and a set of Wellgo MG-1 platforms) which are supposed to get to me on the 9th. I'll be sure to post my thoughts and opinions sometime after that.
    Anyway, if you're looking into the 5.10's, check out the Bomber shoe as well...might float your boat better that the look of the 5.10 Impacts...

Alvin Caragay
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    cool thanks for the Jenson heads up! I wonder how they would work for xc type of riding, they seem a bit bulky. I'm looking at the Freriders right now but if this is not too bulky, I might go with this.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mantracker
    cool thanks for the Jenson heads up! I wonder how they would work for xc type of riding, they seem a bit bulky. I'm looking at the Freriders right now but if this is not too bulky, I might go with this.
    No Problem. When the shoes get here i'll take some pics and post them so you can see what they look like on, etc..for better judgement of their bulkiness...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    how do the low top 510 impacts work on all purpose riding like all mountain and xc?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast