Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Positively negative
    Mar 2010

Fitted "baggies"?

So after ten years MTBing have finally found a reason to wear baggies. On touring/bikepacking trips I'd prefer to hide my shame in rural stores and such (for everyones good ). But can't stand having all that extra fabric flapping around and getting snagged on stuff. Does anyone know of some "baggies" that fit a bit more snug then most?
    Last edited by big_papa_nuts; 10-12-2012 at 11:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Endura do a number of 'baggy' shorts that fit fairly closely. I use Humvee 3/4 lengths and the fit is loose enough to look like a pair of shorts but fitted so they don't flap all over the place like board shorts.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    So after tew years MTBing have finally found a reason to wear baggies. On touring/bikepacking trips I'd prefer to hide my shame in rural stores and such (for everyones good ). But can't stand having all that extra fabric flapping around and getting snagged on stuff. Does anyone know of some "baggies" that fit a bit more snug then most?
    Club Ride.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Carbon or Commie?
    I know of a few workout routines that will swell your quads to make all 'baggies' turn into 'snuggies'.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    Endura do a number of 'baggy' shorts that fit fairly closely. I use Humvee 3/4 lengths and the fit is loose enough to look like a pair of shorts but fitted so they don't flap all over the place like board shorts.
    +1
    Endura stuff should fit the way you want .

I have two set of short and one pair of pants. Both fit fairly closely
    expensive cars are a waste of money. Expensive bikes...not so much!

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Check out Sombrio. Their gear is bomb-proof and a lot of it tends to run on the tighter side. A buddy of mine had a pair of Highlines a few years ago that were practically plum-smugglers....

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I wear REI Landrum shorts over bibs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    +1 on Sombrio. I scored some 32' knickers for xmas and are the best fitting pants/shorts I have. True to size and at first I thought were snug but found them to be just right after riding with chamois underneath and quality construction.
    Peace from Hell...

'13 Chromag Stylus
    '11 Specialized 29r EVO ht
    '11 DB Mission 2 w/Fox 36

bab74 on GORC

Cow Clicker
    Prana Mojo climbing shorts.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

Cheesiest
    I've been using some Pearl Izumi Canyons that are pretty snug, but not ridiculously do.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    It doesn't look like any of them are above the knee though. It sucks that MTBing is often aesthetically stuck in the 90's.

Trail Ninja
    90s, eh? Are you referring to super baggy pants and shorts and people wore, hanging off of their asses?

How tight do you want 'em? Zoics are rather short and tight, I've found.

I wear knee pads and like the shorts that come to the knee. It just doesn't look good to have skin showing between the knee pads and the shorts as a guy. Not wearing knee pads is not an option for me. I love the look on women though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Yeah, baggy cargo shorts and skate shoes is a pretty dated look. Mine as well top it off with a bowling shirt and wallet chain.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Yeah, baggy cargo shorts and skate shoes is a pretty dated look. Mine as well top it off with a bowling shirt and wallet chain.
    Hey, that is an awesome look;-)
    But Im also stuck in the whole

Skickat från min GT-I9100 via Tapatalk 2

Cow Clicker
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanTemplar View Post
    It doesn't look like any of them are above the knee though. It sucks that MTBing is often aesthetically stuck in the 90's.
    Mojo Short | Mens Shorts | prAna
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I wear a pair of DC khakis over compression shorts and impact shorts. They are as baggy or tight as you buy them. I'm fond of khaki for being light weight and pretty durable.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I just ordered a pair of these: http://www.probikekit.com/us/clothin...tch-short.html

Looks like they should be good!

Rogue Exterminator
    I have these

Zoic Black Market Convertible Bike Pants - Men's - Free Shipping at REI.com

They are convertibles so they can be worn as shorts.
    I will say they fit about like baseball pants but have pockets.

Only issue I have with them is that as pants they cuff snags the chain ring and is a little tattered now but if you just care about the short part, it won't matter. However, the pant part is a bonus for cooler riding.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    So after ten years MTBing have finally found a reason to wear baggies. On touring/bikepacking trips I'd prefer to hide my shame in rural stores and such (for everyones good ). But can't stand having all that extra fabric flapping around and getting snagged on stuff. Does anyone know of some "baggies" that fit a bit more snug then most?
    In terms of the crotch getting snagged on the saddle, I find that the fabric in the crotch makes more difference than how baggie it is. Stretchy fabric in the crotch I find more likely to get snagged, even when close fitting (even some lycra shorts).

I have a pair of Sugoi Gustof shorts that i like a lot. Killer liner and padding (same as their second best lycra shorts), and the crotch does not snag on things.
    Gustov Short | SUGOI Performance Apparel
    They were pricey, but I really love them.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I use Zoics (only because that's what, sigh, Performance carries, and REI, and I can try stuff on in those stores), and they are usually just above the knee and certainly not baggy.

I don't know of any MTB shorts that are baggy to where they'd be intrusive, though.

These are not cycling shorts, but they do just fine in that regard though:

REI Sahara Cargo Shorts - Men's - Free Shipping at REI.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    I have these

Zoic Black Market Convertible Bike Pants - Men's - Free Shipping at REI.com

They are convertibles so they can be worn as shorts.
    I will say they fit about like baseball pants but have pockets.

Only issue I have with them is that as pants they cuff snags the chain ring and is a little tattered now but if you just care about the short part, it won't matter. However, the pant part is a bonus for cooler riding.
    I tried these on & they were actually too tight around my thighs and not stretchy at the junction where the pant legs attached to the shorts. Seemed like a good idea & looked good though.

Rock and/or Roll
    Dec 2005
    I've always found it easier to just slip a pair of shorts over my bike shorts, in a situation like that.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Pearl Izumi Canyons. I have a pair of the Rapha Touring shorts also (bought them on ebay cheap) and they are really nice but I like the PI's better. YMMV.

Scallywag
    Jul 2009
    FOX high frequency shorts. They dont make anymore I dont think but you can still find them for sale on the web. Only drawback is the non-removable liner.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast