mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Fit? Giro xar vs fox striker

For those of you who have tried both, can you give me some insight as to whether they are sized the same. I normally wear a large helmet but tried a medium xar today and it fit just right. No wiggling on my head at all but retention was maxed up. I would prefer a fox striker, do they fit similar? The biggest concern is the width as my head is long and narrow.

If I would only fit a large striker, is it super wide and look mushroom like?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Go to a LBS and try em on first. I was in the helmet market a month ago and looked at alot of em online .I decided to go to my lbs and fit myself with one, I noticed right away that same brand (Giro) but different models fit different, and I wear medium some were to small, large would fit but looked like a giant mushroom on my head. I ended up with a Med Giro Phase that fits perfect, other modles didnt. So smalls vary, Med, large let alone brand to other brands.
    Try them on before buying online.
    WARNING : Do not ride your bicycle until you have read and thoroughly understood the owners manual.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by dw67 View Post
    For those of you who have tried both, can you give me some insight as to whether they are sized the same. I normally wear a large helmet but tried a medium xar today and it fit just right. No wiggling on my head at all but retention was maxed up. I would prefer a fox striker, do they fit similar? The biggest concern is the width as my head is long and narrow.

If I would only fit a large striker, is it super wide and look mushroom like?

Thanks.
    My head is long and narrow and neither model fits me. The Fox being the poorer fit.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Everyone's head is different, so I am not sure anyone will be able to help. You will have to try them on yourself and see what works for you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I tried the xar. There are no fox helmets locally. If you haven't tried both and can't comment on fit then save the responses about going to try them on. It's good advice but doesn't answer my question.

mtbr member
    I tried the xar. There are no fox helmets locally. If you haven't tried both and can't comment on fit then save the responses about going to try them on. It's good advice but doesn't answer my question.
    If the zar fits buy it, or take your chances with the fox. You asked for advice and we gave them. Get it through your thick head "EACH HELMET IS DIFFERENT ". if someone says they both fit fine doesn't mean it (fox) will fit you. Its your $$ do whatever!
    WARNING : Do not ride your bicycle until you have read and thoroughly understood the owners manual.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    The answer is you still need to try them on. I am very picky about helmet fit. Sometimes even different individual helmets of the same model/size may not fit the same.

I have also seen riders using helmets they claim fit but I would not even consider using.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by C.M.S View Post
    Go to a LBS and try em on first. I was in the helmet market a month ago and looked at alot of em online .I decided to go to my lbs and fit myself with one, I noticed right away that same brand (Giro) but different models fit different, and I wear medium some were to small, large would fit but looked like a giant mushroom on my head. I ended up with a Med Giro Phase that fits perfect, other modles didnt. So smalls vary, Med, large let alone brand to other brands.
    Try them on before buying online.
    Do your LBS a favor and buy it from them if you're going to use them for fitting your helmet. If you dont, they won't be there the next time you need a part you can't wait for.
    Jeff
    --------
    Www.upr.com